Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan for BSBA CIS at TESU?
Hey everyone!

I'm interested in pursuing a BSBA CIS degree at TESU. I'll be starting with zero credits, so I have no clue where to start and the degree wiki said not to use whatever is there as a template. Does anyone have access to an updated degree plan?

Also, since I have no credits so far, would it be a good idea to enroll to lock-in the CIS degree catalog? Doing so would involve paying the Residency Waiver Fee, which I don't mind if I had close to enough credits to graduate. I feel like it's going to take me at least 4 or 5 years to complete this degree so I may end up paying it every year, which is a luxury I can't afford right now.

Thank you in advance.
You don't pay the residency waiver fee until you apply to graduate, so that's a ways off and I wouldn't worry about it.  At TESU, the way to lock in your catalog is to enroll, and the way to enroll is to take a TESU course or TECEP exam at least once a year - and the TECEP's are $117.  So again, you're not going to have to worry about it right away, and even then, there's a very low cost option for you.

If I were you, instead of locking in the catalog, I would get started on getting some credits.  There are free ones available, and then free options available (ModernStates.org paired with CLEP exams), and ultra-low cost options (Saylor with free courses and $25 exams).  Then you may get the Study.com/Guardian scholarship, which is 6 free courses.  Between those, I think you could get 90+ credits for close to free.  So cost should not be an issue right now either.  It's mostly a matter of motivation.

As for taking 4-5 years to complete, I think using this method, you could be done in 1-2 years (many people do it faster).  That's a reasonable timeframe for most people, but really, the key is to get started.

I'm attaching my template, it's current.  The only thing to keep in mind is that there are a few Saylor courses that expire on 3/31, but they may renew - so keep current on this board to ask questions as you get to certain courses.

I'm also including a template for the BSBA/CIS using CLEP with Modern States for as many courses as possible.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA CIS.xlsx (Size: 55.62 KB / Downloads: 181)
.xlsx   TESU BSBA CIS (CLEP & MS).xlsx (Size: 55.35 KB / Downloads: 176)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 5 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Dee12, Jimmy999, slmartin, Vivaka, waterpaper
Actually being an applicant will lock in the catalog so long as you enroll within a year.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei
(03-03-2018, 11:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You don't pay the residency waiver fee until you apply to graduate, so that's a ways off and I wouldn't worry about it.  At TESU, the way to lock in your catalog is to enroll, and the way to enroll is to take a TESU course or TECEP exam at least once a year - and the TECEP's are $117.  So again, you're not going to have to worry about it right away, and even then, there's a very low cost option for you.

If I were you, instead of locking in the catalog, I would get started on getting some credits.  There are free ones available, and then free options available (ModernStates.org paired with CLEP exams), and ultra-low cost options (Saylor with free courses and $25 exams).  Then you may get the Study.com/Guardian scholarship, which is 6 free courses.  Between those, I think you could get 90+ credits for close to free.  So cost should not be an issue right now either.  It's mostly a matter of motivation.

As for taking 4-5 years to complete, I think using this method, you could be done in 1-2 years (many people do it faster).  That's a reasonable timeframe for most people, but really, the key is to get started.

I'm attaching my template, it's current.  The only thing to keep in mind is that there are a few Saylor courses that expire on 3/31, but they may renew - so keep current on this board to ask questions as you get to certain courses.

I'm also including a template for the BSBA/CIS using CLEP with Modern States for as many courses as possible.

Hey @dfrecore, this BSBA CIS focused on Cleps is exactly what I needed. I actually found one of your other BSBA sheets a few days ago and modified it to use all the cleps I could and it ended up looking nearly identical to this. But you had some other free credits I didn't know about like The Institute, do you have these hosted somewhere like dropbox so I could check in on them every now and then to see if there are updates or changes? I'm knocking out 1 clep a week right now but I don't have enough time to keep up with all the posts here.

thanks
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(03-03-2018, 02:04 PM)camjenks Wrote: [quote pid='254548' dateline='1520093667']

Hey @dfrecore, this BSBA CIS focused on Cleps is exactly what I needed. I actually found one of your other BSBA sheets a few days ago and modified it to use all the cleps I could and it ended up looking nearly identical to this. But you had some other free credits I didn't know about like The Institute, do you have these hosted somewhere like dropbox so I could check in on them every now and then to see if there are updates or changes? I'm knocking out 1 clep a week right now but I don't have enough time to keep up with all the posts here.

thanks
[/quote]

I don't understand your question.  Do I have what hosted somewhere?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-03-2018, 06:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 02:04 PM)camjenks Wrote: [quote pid='254548' dateline='1520093667']

thanks

I don't understand your question.  Do I have what hosted somewhere?
[/quote]

I just meant do you have the spreadsheets saved somewhere like dropbox where others can access them?
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 1 user Likes camjenks's post:
  • slmartin
(03-03-2018, 06:52 PM)camjenks Wrote: I just meant do you have the spreadsheets saved somewhere like dropbox where others can access them?

Nope, sorry.
(03-03-2018, 11:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You don't pay the residency waiver fee until you apply to graduate, so that's a ways off and I wouldn't worry about it.  At TESU, the way to lock in your catalog is to enroll, and the way to enroll is to take a TESU course or TECEP exam at least once a year - and the TECEP's are $117.  So again, you're not going to have to worry about it right away, and even then, there's a very low cost option for you.

You have Saylor's Software Engineering as upper level, but my understanding was TESU goes off ACE now for credit recommendations, and this course is recommended at lower level on ACE.
(04-24-2018, 12:13 PM)Fast Wrote:

You have Saylor's Software Engineering as upper level, but my understanding was TESU goes off ACE now for credit recommendations, and this course is recommended at lower level on ACE.

At this point in time, TESU has not downgraded any of the Saylor courses (or Shmoop), so my spreadsheet still stands.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,003 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,674 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,226 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,129 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,666 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,744 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,363 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,607 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,396 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic