Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning Advice
Wink 
I don’t know what Degree I would like to finish in.
My Budget is limited, due to several financial set backs.

NJCU.            
Fundamental English 2
Intermediate Algebra
Social Psychology

FDU
College Math1
History1

BMCC/ City University of NewYork
Black Women Studies
Life skills
Algebra
Biology 1
English 1
chemistry1
Fundamentals of Speech
Intro to Sculpture
Statistics.
National Refresher EMT (Expired).

Thomas Jefferson School of Allied Health and Sciences
Paramedic Program 493 Didactic hours/31 Group Credits
Inactive 2009 NJ State Paramedic National Registry Certified.

PTC-Certification (Law Enforcement)
Professional Development
Criminal Justice
Police Community Relations
Use of Force
Communications
Vehicle Operations
Emergency Care
Criminal Investigations.

Certifications:
Mental health Advocate
Chaplaincy(licensed ordained Minister)
Critical Stress debriefing
School Resource officer
Hostage Negotiation

If I were to finish in criminal justice, what would be the easiest and cheapest route.
I am not a great test taker, however I can write essays to convey a point.
Dysgraphia. 
Currently started Study.com Spanish and psychology

I have inquired about TESC, it’s a little overwhelming to navigate their page, I keep hearing about a few others. How many classes can I take on Sophia, and Study? Which are the easiest? If I have another health set back, then I will retire next year, which means I will need to find a Job for medical benefits.

Any Comments good great or small will help, I have been helped a great deal by reading your replies to others!!!! Thank you in Advance!
If you prefer essays over tests AND you want the cheapest route, then I would definitely suggest UMPI! They have a Criminal Justice degree, or you could just go for Liberal Studies degree. Do you have an Associate degree already? If you don't, and you're in the US, I would suggest starting with Pierpont's FREE degree: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

If you have an AAS and you go to UMPI, you can get a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) instead of their Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS).

I would NOT choose TESU's Criminal Justice degree because it is so much more difficult to even try to complete. A lot of the aren't available alternatively, making it quite expensive to obtain. But once you 100% decide what degree and school you want, we can help you with understanding which courses you need to take and from where.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
If you can edit your post to include the following:

course #, full course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C

also, be sure to include your school's course numbering system, so we know what's developmental, LL, UL, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@lawmedic... you really need to provide us more details for anyone to help you further. I highly recommend following the template provided to you in the forum thread just above the one you started, here's the link and the info you should provide: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Note: Do you know any other languages already? If you're taking the Spanish at Study.com, you may be better off at UMPI. Having said that, my first choice is to stick with TESU since you're in New Jersey... You have enough RA, you can decide on either paying the residency waiver fee or going for the 16 credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Lawmedic2824
(05-01-2022, 10:22 PM)Lawmedic2824 Wrote: Age: 48
I don’t know what Degree I would like to finish in.
My Budget is limited, due to several financial set backs.

NJCU.     
Fundamental Com 2 Eng 102 A
Intermediate Algebra Matt 0112 C
Social Psychology Psych 0160. C

FDU
College Mathematics  Matt 1131 A
New Jersey History Hist 2235 A

BMCC/ City University of NewYork
Black Women Studies Blk 128 A-
Acad Life Skills. DSL 101.  B+ 1.0 credit only
Algebra& Basic Arith Mat 012 (Remedial) S
Biology 1. Bio 210.   C+
English 1.  Eng 101 C+
chemistry1. Chem 210.   D
Fundamentals of Speech Spe 100 A-
Intro to Sculpture Art 181.   A
Intro to Statistics  Mat 150 B-
National Refresher EMT (Expired).

Thomas Jefferson School of Allied Health and Sciences
Paramedic Program 493 Didactic hours/31 Group Credits/476 clinical hours
Inactive 2009 NJ State Paramedic National Registry Certified.
Subcategories
Div#1. Prehospital Env.Medical/legal consideration, stress management EMS&Rescue Operations. 75%
Div#2. Anatomy and Physiology, Patient assessment,Airway Management,ventilation, Pathophysiology of shock &Pharmacology Medical Terminology. 80%
Div#3 Trauma 70%
Div#4Respiratory, Cardiac Emergencies,endocrine&Metabolic Emergencies Nervous system,GU/GI Emergencies, Geriatrics & Pediatrics 78%
Div#5 Gyn, OB, Neonate Emer. 85%
Div#6 Psych 85%

PTC-Certification (Law Enforcement)
Professional Development 83.4
Criminal Justice 96.6
Police Community Relations 92.3
Use of Force 89.7
Search/Seizure 94.6
Communications 96.6
Vehicle Operations 100.00
Emergency Care 86
Criminal Investigations.95.2
Law 87.1
Traffic Enforcement 89.0 

Certifications:
Mental health Advocate
Chaplaincy(licensed ordained Minister)
Critical Stress debriefing
School Resource officer
Hostage Negotiation

If I were to finish in criminal justice, what would be the easiest and cheapest route.
I am not a great test taker, however I can write essays to convey a point.
Dysgraphia. 
Currently started Study.com Spanish and psychology

I have inquired about TESC, it’s a little overwhelming to navigate their page, I keep hearing about a few others. How many classes can I take on Sophia, and Study? Which are the easiest? If I have another health set back, then I will retire next year, which means I will need to find a Job for medical benefits.

Any Comments good great or small will help, I have been helped a great deal by reading your replies to others!!!! Thank you in Advance!

(05-02-2022, 03:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you can edit your post to include the following:

course #, full course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C

also, be sure to include your school's course numbering system, so we know what's developmental, LL, UL, etc.

Done

(05-02-2022, 02:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you prefer essays over tests AND you want the cheapest route, then I would definitely suggest UMPI! They have a Criminal Justice degree, or you could just go for Liberal Studies degree. Do you have an Associate degree already? If you don't, and you're in the US, I would suggest starting with Pierpont's FREE degree: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

If you have an AAS and you go to UMPI, you can get a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) instead of their Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS).

I would NOT choose TESU's Criminal Justice degree because it is so much more difficult to even try to complete. A lot of the aren't available alternatively, making it quite expensive to obtain. But once you 100% decide what degree and school you want, we can help you with understanding which courses you need to take and from where.

I don’t have an associates and all the classes that I listed are all 3 credit, the The training programs L.E, and Paramedic were certificate and state license. National Registry.
I would definitely start with the Pierpont degree and then move on to UMPI. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan for details. If you want an Area of Emphasis in Information Systems, you can get one for free by taking the Google IT Support Professional Certificate through the Dream Academy: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera You could also get an AoE in Math by instead taking 2 more math courses. Information Systems would be easier to achive, IMO.

Other AoE might be open to you, depending on what your courses transfer to Pierpont as. For the most bang for your buck, so to speak, I would at least try to get an AoE that does NOT have anything to do with Criminal Justice. Once you have your Bachelor's degree, the AAS would act like a certificate to show that you know more than just what you majored in. Employers love employees who appear to be well-rounded!

For UMPI, you will need a lab science. You've got a couple of options. Study.com has Biology 101L and Chemistry 111L. ASU would cost a bit more, but they have Environmental Science https://ea.asu.edu/courses/introduction-...e-bio-130/, a Biology https://ea.asu.edu/courses/the-living-world-bio-100/, and Space Biology https://ea.asu.edu/courses/habitable-worlds-ses-106/. The ASU classes are pretty interesting and may be worth the $425 if you don't want to touch another "normal" science class again.

Do you know any foreign languages? If not, Spanish from InstantCert is the best way to meet UMPI's foreign language requirement.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
A couple of things that are unclear: BIO210: BIology I and CHEM210: Chemistry I both look to be lab science courses as of now - were they 4cr lab courses when you took them? That would certainly be a good thing if they were.

Also, do you still live in NY/NJ? If so, are you considering getting a local degree at either TESU (NJ) or EC (NY)? I know people do like to do that, and it's not a bad option for some. They each have a BALS/BLS (liberal studies) degree that will work for you.

I also know that TESU may give credit for your PTC-Certification, you'll want to check here to look at the dates and see if this applies (click on law enforcement): https://www.tesu.edu/academics/oplr/plr

Let us know if/what applies so we can further help you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-03-2022, 02:30 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @lawmedic... you really need to provide us more details for anyone to help you further.  I highly recommend following the template provided to you in the forum thread just above the one you started, here's the link and the info you should provide: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Note: Do you know any other languages already?  If you're taking the Spanish at Study.com, you may be better off at UMPI.  Having said that, my first choice is to stick with TESU since you're in New Jersey...  You have enough RA, you can decide on either paying the residency waiver fee or going for the 16 credits.

No, unfortunately, I am relearning sign language and Spanish.

(05-04-2022, 02:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would definitely start with the Pierpont degree and then move on to UMPI. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan for details. If you want an Area of Emphasis in Information Systems, you can get one for free by taking the Google IT Support Professional Certificate through the Dream Academy: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera You could also get an AoE in Math by instead taking 2 more math courses. Information Systems would be easier to achive, IMO.

Other AoE might be open to you, depending on what your courses transfer to Pierpont as. For the most bang for your buck, so to speak, I would at least try to get an AoE that does NOT have anything to do with Criminal Justice. Once you have your Bachelor's degree, the AAS would act like a certificate to show that you know more than just what you majored in. Employers love employees who appear to be well-rounded!

TBH, Having a criminal justice degree really doesn’t attain anything. Most Employers in my profession don’t require it on a municipal level. Governmental is different.  So, If I understand correctly I should inquire to Pierpont? Will my credits be transferable to TESU or UMPI?
And No, I don’t know a foreign language, but I am relearning Spanish and sign language!!

For UMPI, you will need a lab science. You've got a couple of options. Study.com has Biology 101L and Chemistry 111L. ASU would cost a bit more, but they have Environmental Science https://ea.asu.edu/courses/introduction-...e-bio-130/, a Biology https://ea.asu.edu/courses/the-living-world-bio-100/, and Space Biology https://ea.asu.edu/courses/habitable-worlds-ses-106/. The ASU classes are pretty interesting and may be worth the $425 if you don't want to touch another "normal" science class again.

Do you know any foreign languages? If not, Spanish from InstantCert is the best way to meet UMPI's foreign language requirement.

(05-04-2022, 05:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A couple of things that are unclear: BIO210: BIology I and CHEM210: Chemistry I both look to be lab science courses as of now - were they 4cr lab courses when you took them?  That would certainly be a good thing if they were.

Also, do you still live in NY/NJ? If so, are you considering getting a local degree at either TESU (NJ) or EC (NY)? I know people do like to do that, and it's not a bad option for some.  They each have a BALS/BLS (liberal studies) degree that will work for you.

I also know that TESU may give credit for your PTC-Certification, you'll want to check here to look at the dates and see if this applies (click on law enforcement): https://www.tesu.edu/academics/oplr/plr

Let us know if/what applies so we can further help you.

Biology & Chemistry are both 4.0 they definitely came with a Lab. Statistics was also 4.0 credit, but sculpture was 2.0 I do live in NJ close to TESU (10 min away) but I work 10 min from NY. (Taxes were cheaper many years ago). I wasn’t impressed with TESU Criminal Justice as I have heard that it’s a little tedious to navigate. I don’t necessarily desire a crim/justice degree if that’s not the easiest to obtain.
A degree from TESU or Excelsior, any degree, will generally require quite a few exams. I think you can still do lib studies without (m)any exams, but you'd be restricted to very specific sets of classes and few choices.

For that reason alone, I would recommend a UMPI degree for you over other schools. Most UMPI courses are passed with papers/projects. There are very few exams and you can ask to avoid these. Even if you don't go with CJ, you're almost certainly going to want UMPI. It's just going to be easier. If you already have lab sciences, that's one less exam you need to take. The only exam now would be Spanish, but if you take a sign language class from a CC somewhere, then you should also be able to skip that.

You'd still need some Sophia courses to round out the GEC requirements at UMPI, but their courses are all open book. The exams (Milestones) are all open-book, are not webcam proctored, and are pretty short. They're pass/fail, too, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting a good score.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
If you go with TESU, you should be able to get another 6 credits for the EMT license/certification (BIO-111, BIO-126, BIO-206, COM-203, HUS-202) and 16 credits for the paramedic license (BIO-211, HEA-191, HEA-281, HEA-291, HEA-292, HEA-293, HEA-294).

(lower-level credits)
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 20 223 3 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 110 2 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 260 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 125 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 557 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer