Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning UMPI
Hello everyone,

Recently I posted a thread asking for your advice on how to get a degree using free term at Strayer University. Thank you a lot for taking time to answer my questions!  Smile After reading your answers a decided to take a different route towards my first degree. Could you please look at it and tell your opinion, what is missing, etc.

1) Using free term at Strayer University, I would like to take several courses related to political science and history, and also challenge exams.
2) During winter semester at the same time I plan to study in advance 10 courses that I am going to take at UMPI in order to meet 30 sh requirement.
3) Once the winter term at SU is finished, I'll transfer all courses I've took on Sophia, SDC, at SU (~90cr) to UMPI.
4) Will take 10 courses at UMPI
5) The happy end hopefully  Angel

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you! Smile
Sounds like a solid plan, however, as far as I can tell, UMPI limits the number of ACE (Sophia, SDC, CLEP, etc) credits to 30.

https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/prior-lear...sment-pla/

So to hit 90 credits transferred, you'll need 60 credits from other sources.
I get that you're trying to complete a degree as cheaply as possible. But, with how many credits you have, TESU may be your best option. Have you checked out the list of competency-based degrees on the wiki? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

What degree do you even want? Why are you trying to get a degree? The answers to these questions will help answer which university program is going to be the "best" one for your circumstances.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
You're going to need to choose a school that allows ~90cr of alternative credits to do your plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-05-2020, 09:40 AM)dbinghamjr Wrote: Sounds like a solid plan, however, as far as I can tell, UMPI limits the number of ACE (Sophia, SDC, CLEP, etc) credits to 30.

https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/prior-lear...sment-pla/

So to hit 90 credits transferred, you'll need 60 credits from other sources.
As I mentioned before, I am going to enroll in Strayer. If I will transfer Sophia credits to Strayer, then after finishing all their courses, will transfer my Strayer transcript to UMPI (as a transfer student mb?), do you think it will make a difference? It would be a regular transcript, not ACE  Idea

(11-05-2020, 09:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I get that you're trying to complete a degree as cheaply as possible. But, with how many credits you have, TESU may be your best option. Have you checked out the list of competency-based degrees on the wiki? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

What degree do you even want? Why are you trying to get a degree? The answers to these questions will help answer which university program is going to be the "best" one for your circumstances.
Thank you a lot for the link! I'm interested in Political science degree. Unfortunately, I can't afford tuition at TESU, so my best option in regards to my finances would be UMPI.
(11-05-2020, 09:16 AM)Anar Wrote: Hello everyone,

Recently I posted a thread asking for your advice on how to get a degree using free term at Strayer University. Thank you a lot for taking time to answer my questions!  Smile After reading your answers a decided to take a different route towards my first degree. Could you please look at it and tell your opinion, what is missing, etc.

1) Using free term at Strayer University, I would like to take several courses related to political science and history, and also challenge exams.
2) During winter semester at the same time I plan to study in advance 10 courses that I am going to take at UMPI in order to meet 30 sh requirement.
3) Once the winter term at SU is finished, I'll transfer all courses I've took on Sophia, SDC, at SU (~90cr) to UMPI.

As a current UMPI student, your plan has some flaws. UMPI accepts up to 30 ACE credits. That is all. 

UMPI has VERY specific gen reqs that you cannot complete on Sophia alone including a foreign language. There are no ways around their gen ed reqs unless you have previously graduated from one of the schools in the University of Maine system.

How long do you expect to take courses at UMPI? Yes, you can complete as many as you can in a term. A term is only 8 weeks long and costs $1,400. The courses have a great deal of content including constant quizzes. Every course ends with a Final Assessment which for most classes is a major paper/project. History and poli sci are all going to be large research papers which you will not be able to complete in a day. 

Studying for a course before enrolling at UMPI is useless. Why? Because the course focuses on the specific content in the course modules not one some books. You paper/projects must include course content and come from the material you learn in the course. This is all laid out in the PDF on your Final Assessment. Every class has this sheet. No point in studying when you're going to be writing a 20 page paper. 

Have you asked UMPI if they accept challenge exams? 

Feel free to send me a PM with UMPI questions.

Your Sophia credits will ALWAYS be ACE credits through Sophia. They will not convert to credit from Strayer. You will need a transcript from Sophia sent to UMPI for those courses.
(11-05-2020, 12:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

As a current UMPI student, your plan has some flaws. UMPI accepts up to 30 ACE credits. That is all. 

UMPI has VERY specific gen reqs that you cannot complete on Sophia alone including a foreign language. There are no ways around their gen ed reqs unless you have previously graduated from one of the schools in the University of Maine system.

How long do you expect to take courses at UMPI? Yes, you can complete as many as you can in a term. A term is only 8 weeks long and costs $1,400. The courses have a great deal of content including constant quizzes. Every course ends with a Final Assessment which for most classes is a major paper/project. History and poli sci are all going to be large research papers which you will not be able to complete in a day. 

Studying for a course before enrolling at UMPI is useless. Why? Because the course focuses on the specific content in the course modules not one some books. You paper/projects must include course content and come from the material you learn in the course. This is all laid out in the PDF on your Final Assessment. Every class has this sheet. No point in studying when you're going to be writing a 20 page paper. 

Your Sophia credits will ALWAYS be ACE credits through Sophia. They will not convert to credit from Strayer. You will need a transcript from Sophia sent to UMPI for those courses.
Hi! And thank you for pointing out on the flaws. Do you happen to have their general requirements list? Maybe I could earn the rest with challenge exams at Strayer.

(11-05-2020, 01:13 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 12:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Hi! And thank you for pointing out on the flaws. Do you happen to have their general requirements list? Maybe I could earn the rest with challenge exams at Strayer.
And if there is a foreign language requirement, even better  Big Grin I am fluent in french and russian!
Before you get excited about challenge exams, you ned to make sure UMPI accepts them. UMPI has their own challenge exams as part of the prior learning assessment.

https://www.umpi.edu/academics/prior-lea...nge-exams/

As for the gen eds....

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=118

UMPI has additional reqs besides 30 credits taken in residency. You will need a specific number of UL credits in your major/concentration. You must also take a minimum number of credits in your major at UMPI.

Have you spent some time reviewing their website? All of this is spelled out on it.

YourPace students still have the same requirements as students on campus. Most of those options for the GEC do not apply to us. Great to say you're fluent in French and Russian when you don't seem to be able to review the basics of transferring to a college without a great deal of help. I'm not saying don't try to go to UMPI. I'm saying you need to slow your roll and actually investigate their website over and over which I can tel you haven't done because you don't know anything about the GEC. You also haven't spoken with anyone about YourPace. An enrollment counselor would have walked you through all of this.

One more issue....Strayer is on the quarter system so their courses will not transfer anywhere as 3 or 4 credits. I see a lot of people end up with 2.67 credits in a course and that's not enough. Quarters are a pain in the arse to transfer because of that reason. If you plan on transferring quarter credits anywhere, you need to know this up front. 3 credits of biology is 3 semester credits not 3 quarter credits. Why any school is on the quarter credit system I don't know....oh well there's the money aspect...$400x120=$48,000 and $400X180=$72,000. That's why.

One more thing about UMPI.....every course is not offered every term. They are offered every semester however.
(11-05-2020, 01:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Before you get excited about challenge exams, you ned to make sure UMPI accepts them. UMPI has their own challenge exams as part of the prior learning assessment.

As for the gen eds....

UMPI has additional reqs besides 30 credits taken in residency. You will need a specific number of UL credits in your major/concentration. You must also take a minimum number of credits in your major at UMPI.

Have you spent some time reviewing their website? All of this is spelled out on it.

YourPace students still have the same requirements as students on campus. Most of those options for the GEC do not apply to us. Great to say you're fluent in French and Russian when you don't seem to be able to review the basics of transferring to a college without a great deal of help. I'm not saying don't try to go to UMPI. I'm saying you need to slow your roll and actually investigate their website over and over which I can tel you haven't done because you don't know anything about the GEC. You also haven't spoken with anyone about YourPace. An enrollment counselor would have walked you through all of this.

One more issue....Strayer is on the quarter system so their courses will not transfer anywhere as 3 or 4 credits. I see a lot of people end up with 2.67 credits in a course and that's not enough. Quarters are a pain in the arse to transfer because of that reason. If you plan on transferring quarter credits anywhere, you need to know this up front. 3 credits of biology is 3 semester credits not 3 quarter credits. Why any school is on the quarter credit system I don't know....oh well there's the money aspect...$400x120=$48,000 and $400X180=$72,000. That's why.

One more thing about UMPI.....every course is not offered every term. They are offered every semester however.
Yes, I know that they have 30 sh requirement. And I was going to take 13 courses and all in the AOS. We will see how it goes  Wink
(11-05-2020, 02:53 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 01:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Before you get excited about challenge exams, you ned to make sure UMPI accepts them. UMPI has their own challenge exams as part of the prior learning assessment.

As for the gen eds....

Yes, I know that they have 30 sh requirement. And I was going to take 13 courses and all in the AOS. We will see how it goes  Wink

We don't call it an AOS. It's a concentration or a minor depending on the degree. I would plan on taking more than 13 courses at UMPI because of how they accept transfer credits and where courses fit into the degree program. You're going to need to fill out the GEC and then the additional gen ed reqs. The residency requirements aren't just 30 credits at UMPI. How long do you plan on being at UMPI?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 9 144 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 576 6 hours ago
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,138 8 hours ago
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,893 Today, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 181 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,099 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,288 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 470 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 928 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM