Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning UMPI
(11-05-2020, 02:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:53 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 01:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Before you get excited about challenge exams, you ned to make sure UMPI accepts them. UMPI has their own challenge exams as part of the prior learning assessment.

https://www.umpi.edu/academics/prior-lea...nge-exams/

As for the gen eds....

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=118

UMPI has additional reqs besides 30 credits taken in residency. You will need a specific number of UL credits in your major/concentration. You must also take a minimum number of credits in your major at UMPI.

Have you spent some time reviewing their website? All of this is spelled out on it.

YourPace students still have the same requirements as students on campus. Most of those options for the GEC do not apply to us. Great to say you're fluent in French and Russian when you don't seem to be able to review the basics of transferring to a college without a great deal of help. I'm not saying don't try to go to UMPI. I'm saying you need to slow your roll and actually investigate their website over and over which I can tel you haven't done because you don't know anything about the GEC. You also haven't spoken with anyone about YourPace. An enrollment counselor would have walked you through all of this.

One more issue....Strayer is on the quarter system so their courses will not transfer anywhere as 3 or 4 credits. I see a lot of people end up with 2.67 credits in a course and that's not enough. Quarters are a pain in the arse to transfer because of that reason. If you plan on transferring quarter credits anywhere, you need to know this up front. 3 credits of biology is 3 semester credits not 3 quarter credits. Why any school is on the quarter credit system I don't know....oh well there's the money aspect...$400x120=$48,000 and $400X180=$72,000. That's why.

One more thing about UMPI.....every course is not offered every term. They are offered every semester however.
Yes, I know that they have 30 sh requirement. And I was going to take 13 courses and all in the AOS. We will see how it goes  Wink

We don't call it an AOS. It's a concentration or a minor depending on the degree. I would plan on taking more than 13 courses at UMPI because of how they accept transfer credits and where courses fit into the degree program. You're going to need to fill out the GEC and then the additional gen ed reqs. The residency requirements aren't just 30 credits at UMPI. How long do you plan on being at UMPI?
Sorry for a stupid question, but what is GEC?

I'm not a native English speaker, so I thought AOS and concentration would mean the same. Before making the plan, I looked up their concentration requirements, and there were like 15 courses, so I decided to take all of them except two. A for the GER and GE, I think I'll need to talk to the academic advisor.
(11-05-2020, 03:06 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 01:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Before you get excited about challenge exams, you ned to make sure UMPI accepts them. UMPI has their own challenge exams as part of the prior learning assessment.

As for the gen eds....

UMPI has additional reqs besides 30 credits taken in residency. You will need a specific number of UL credits in your major/concentration. You must also take a minimum number of credits in your major at UMPI.

Have you spent some time reviewing their website? All of this is spelled out on it.

YourPace students still have the same requirements as students on campus. Most of those options for the GEC do not apply to us. Great to say you're fluent in French and Russian when you don't seem to be able to review the basics of transferring to a college without a great deal of help. I'm not saying don't try to go to UMPI. I'm saying you need to slow your roll and actually investigate their website over and over which I can tel you haven't done because you don't know anything about the GEC. You also haven't spoken with anyone about YourPace. An enrollment counselor would have walked you through all of this.

One more issue....Strayer is on the quarter system so their courses will not transfer anywhere as 3 or 4 credits. I see a lot of people end up with 2.67 credits in a course and that's not enough. Quarters are a pain in the arse to transfer because of that reason. If you plan on transferring quarter credits anywhere, you need to know this up front. 3 credits of biology is 3 semester credits not 3 quarter credits. Why any school is on the quarter credit system I don't know....oh well there's the money aspect...$400x120=$48,000 and $400X180=$72,000. That's why.

One more thing about UMPI.....every course is not offered every term. They are offered every semester however.
Yes, I know that they have 30 sh requirement. And I was going to take 13 courses and all in the AOS. We will see how it goes  Wink

We don't call it an AOS. It's a concentration or a minor depending on the degree. I would plan on taking more than 13 courses at UMPI because of how they accept transfer credits and where courses fit into the degree program. You're going to need to fill out the GEC and then the additional gen ed reqs. The residency requirements aren't just 30 credits at UMPI. How long do you plan on being at UMPI?

I'm not a native English speaker, so I thought AOS and concentration would mean the same. Before making the plan, I looked up their concentration requirements, and there were like 15 courses, so I decided to take all of them except two. A for the GER and GE, I think I'll need to talk to the academic advisor.

GEC = General education curriculum

Every school has a different name for things. AOS is the term used at TESU. UMPI has concentrations and minors. Some degrees have concentrations and others have minors.

Are you in the US now? I ask because the whole application process is different for international students. Do you have a TOEFL score?

You should fill out for the form online requesting more information about the YourPace program and the History/Poli Sci degree. An enrollment counselor will call you. You won't be able to speak to an academic advisor until you've applied, been accepted, and enroll in the program. Once you're enrolled, you will have an academic advisor and an academic success coach. They have very different roles as you proceed through your degree. You can also call UMPI YourPace at 844-811-7391.
(11-05-2020, 03:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

As for the gen eds....

Every school has a different name for things. AOS is the term used at TESU. UMPI has concentrations and minors. Some degrees have concentrations and others have minors.

Are you in the US now? I ask because the whole application process is different for international students. Do you have a TOEFL score?

You should fill out for the form online requesting more information about the YourPace program and the History/Poli Sci degree. An enrollment counselor will call you. You won't be able to speak to an academic advisor until you've applied, been accepted, and enroll in the program. Once you're enrolled, you will have an academic advisor and an academic success coach. They have very different roles as you proceed through your degree. You can also call UMPI YourPace at 844-811-7391.
No, I'm not in the US. I'm on the other side of the world  Blush  Yes, I know that I have to take an English language proficiency test. Thank you for the information though! I contacted them earlier asking what courses will be available the upcoming term.
(11-05-2020, 04:07 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 03:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:53 PM)Anar Wrote: Yes, I know that they have 30 sh requirement. And I was going to take 13 courses and all in the AOS. We will see how it goes  Wink

No, I'm not in the US. I'm on the other side of the world  Blush  Yes, I know that I have to take an English language proficiency test. Thank you for the information though! I contacted them earlier asking what courses will be available the upcoming term.

https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/international-students/

https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/how-to-a...ernational

If you want the list of history and poli sci courses and which term they're offered, send me a pm. I have the list. They probably won't give you this info because you're not a student. My academic advisor gave it to me after I requested it.
(11-05-2020, 09:40 AM)dbinghamjr Wrote: Sounds like a solid plan, however, as far as I can tell, UMPI limits the number of ACE (Sophia, SDC, CLEP, etc) credits to 30.

https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/prior-lear...sment-pla/

So to hit 90 credits transferred, you'll need 60 credits from other sources.

Oh my god, since when do they limit ACE credits to 30?

Did I miss something? Was I procrastinating so much that I just missed that train...

I was hoping to attend UMPI and 2-3 Sessions (not full time, since I have a full time job that I require to feed myself and my family).

But it seems like this is not possible anymore?...

edit: I am specifically talking about YourPace program from Umpi.
ecdw94 Wrote:Oh my god, since when do they limit ACE credits to 30?

Did I miss something? Was I procrastinating so much that I just missed that train...

I was hoping to attend UMPI and 2-3 Sessions (not full time, since I have a full time job that I require to feed myself and my family).

Yes you did! You should be so glad and be jumping for joy! You are so happy right now, I can feel it... (not from reading your post, but after reading mine). You missed the 30 maximum alternative transfer credit train... But you now have jumped onto the 90 credit maximum alternative transfer credit train! You can now transfer MORE credit from alternative credits than before, as this policy changed! (You're reading a 3 year old post, they changed it to 90 credits just after this thread was created).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • ecdw94, rachel83az
(10-04-2023, 12:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ecdw94 Wrote:Oh my god, since when do they limit ACE credits to 30?

Yes you did! You should be so glad and be jumping for joy! You are so happy right now, I can feel it... (not from reading your post, but after reading mine).  You missed the 30 maximum alternative transfer credit train... But you now have jumped onto the 90 credit maximum alternative transfer credit train!  You can now transfer MORE credit from alternative credits than before, as this policy changed! (You're reading a 3 year old post, they changed it to 90 credits just after this thread was created).

Uff, Thank you. Yep, according to this: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Its 90 credits.

And I have genuinly missed the date of the post. Or maybe I did not and I saw 2020, but my brain intepreted that as "yesterday", but it seems like it is almost 2024.. Time flies...

Do you also know if there might be some 2023 version of this: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 ?
Yes, here's the WIKI, it was created around June 2023. There was a recent addition or update last month, "tips" was added. Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jaswged

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 56 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 151 10 hours ago
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 131 Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,716 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 195 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,550 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 212 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 434 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 623 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,075 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM