Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning: double AOS TESU with study.com
We are a homeschooling family and use study.com as a base for curriculum.  My son is entering 9th grade and he will be taking courses to meet his HS requirements while also looking ahead to meeting TESU college requirements…He hopes to graduate high school with his BS or be close to it.  He has 2 interests, so trying to efficiently map out future elective courses to meet that goal.  Will likely pay residency waiver as he can’t enroll til 18 at TESU, so will meet most courses before that.  Planning a BSBA with an AOS in Finance and CIS.  Any degree planning tips?  Assume one AOS can be considered electives for other AOS.  Since Gen Ed requirements are lowering, assuming the freed up elective space will make it easier to knock out 2 areas of study.  The TESU website doesn’t list course numbers, so I’m unsure what study.com class meets the Principles of Finance core business requirement.  There are 2 study.com classes listed that come in as 100 or 200 level classes.  Could he take both and use the second toward Finance AOS?  He will do 24 RA credits at a discounted rate as a highschooler to meet gen ed requirements or lower level classes like micro or macro economics and states.  His goal is to have marketable skills for employment immediately after undergrad degree with a reasonable paying job.  He planes to live frugally and earn enough to start investing on his own (real estate and small business).  Ultimately he wants to work for himself, but he knows that will take time.  Thanks for any help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juju7's post:
  • schlocker
FYI, compared to BA degrees, the BSBA degrees have fewer electives. If he were to enroll under the current just-released catalog, each one has 15 credits of electives.

To figure out what to take, check out this page on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap But you need to be aware that the requirements could change in the next 3-5 years before your son is able to enroll. I'm not saying to avoid using Sophia/Study.com, but just be aware that he might have to redo some of the credits depending on how things change in the next several years.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
This page on Study.com shows how courses are transferred to TESU at this time. Of course this is all subject to change. Additionally, ACE courses expire and have to be reevaluated. Given his age, I probably wouldn't start working on these too much for a few more years.

https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • BrianFallon
(07-09-2021, 01:30 PM)rachel83az Wrote: FYI, compared to BA degrees, the BSBA degrees have fewer electives. If he were to enroll under the current just-released catalog, each one has 15 credits of electives.

To figure out what to take, check out this page on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap But you need to be aware that the requirements could change in the next 3-5 years before your son is able to enroll. I'm not saying to avoid using Sophia/Study.com, but just be aware that he might have to redo some of the credits depending on how things change in the next several years.

Do you think it is safe to assume basic gen ed requirements (like US History, college algebra, Pre calc, Biology etc will renew ACE credits).  He wont be really tackling the AOS major requirements til junior/senior year, so I would be focusing on gen ed and a few business core classes early on.
Gen eds are mostly safe. But you still never know. Examples:

Shmoop was targeted as a way for high school kids (or just-graduated teens) to earn college credits relatively inexpensively. TESU stopped accepting Shmoop credits with little/no notice.

TESU used to accept SDC's Political Science 102: American Government for their Civic Engagement requirement. They no longer do.

IIRC, TESU used to accept SDC's English 104 & 105 as meeting their English Comp requirements. Now, it's English 204 & 205.

StraighterLine course equivalencies have changed somewhat in recent years. I don't remember what's changed, only that they have changed.

RA credits are pretty safe for gen eds. If you take English Comp from ASU, TEL, or ONU, there's a good 90% that it will continue to work indefinitely (at least at TESU). ACE credits, well, you never know.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Juju7
I think Excelsior takes students under 18, probably a better option in his situtation. I would also use Sophia first, a lot of quicker and cheaper credits available.
(07-09-2021, 02:51 PM)FastTrackDegree Wrote: I think Excelsior takes students under 18, probably a better option in his situtation. I would also use Sophia first, a lot of quicker and cheaper credits available.

Unfortunately, you can't really get a BSBA at Excelsior with alt credits. You can get a BALS but that's not the same.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(07-09-2021, 03:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-09-2021, 02:51 PM)FastTrackDegree Wrote: I think Excelsior takes students under 18, probably a better option in his situtation. I would also use Sophia first, a lot of quicker and cheaper credits available.

Unfortunately, you can't really get a BSBA at Excelsior with alt credits. You can get a BALS but that's not the same.

It's not perfect but it's a good option. He can always go back and take the remaning credits if he needs a specific degree. It's a bit risky to plan years ahead with these alternative credits, especially when it's possible to get it done very quick.

With the time he saves, he can look for internships, join the military, learn a professional skill/certification or just find a regular job. He may even have time for a master's degree  Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes FastTrackDegree's post:
  • BrianFallon
(07-09-2021, 03:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

Up until VERY recently you could; at this point, you can do a BSBA at EC, but you'd need to take a few UExcel exams to get the core done; the rest they will take from Study.com or other providers.

For the concentrations though, you're out of luck unless you want to take courses through them or somewhere else.

(07-09-2021, 01:09 PM)Juju7 Wrote: Planning a BSBA with an AOS in Finance and CIS.

You can easily get the 18cr for each of these AoS's via alternative credit:

Core (via Study.com, but can do elsewhere for some)

ACC 101: Financial Accounting
ACC 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting
BUS 103: Intro to Business Law
BUS 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications
BUS 113: Business Communication
BUS 101: Principles of Management
BUS 102: Principles of Marketing
FIN 104: Financial Management
BUS 120: International Business
ECO 102: Macroeconomics
ECO 101: Microeconomics
STAT 101: Principles of Statistics

QUANTITATIVE BUSINESS ANALYSIS: Davar's MAT-202: Mathematics for Business last I checked; BUSx437: Quantitative Analysis UExcel exam should work

CIS AoS
COMPSCI 109: Intro to Programming 

COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design

BUS 303: Management Info Systems

COMPSCI 303: Database Management

BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising
COMPSCI 105: Intro to Operating Systems

FIN AoS
FIN 101: Principles of Finance (not sure if this will work here or not)

FIN 301: Corporate Finance

FIN 302: International Finance

FIN 303: Financial Institutions & Markets

FIN 304: Security Analysis & Portfolio Management
FIN 306: Small Business Finance
If FIN 101 won't work, then you'll have to take a FIN course elsewhere; your best bet is either the Money and Banking DSST exam (ECO-332), or a course at a CC. 
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, kalibby
(07-09-2021, 01:09 PM)Juju7 Wrote: We are a homeschooling family and use study.com as a base for curriculum.  My son is entering 9th grade and he will be taking courses to meet his HS requirements while also looking ahead to meeting TESU college requirements…He hopes to graduate high school with his BS or be close to it.  He has 2 interests, so trying to efficiently map out future elective courses to meet that goal.  Will likely pay residency waiver as he can’t enroll til 18 at TESU, so will meet most courses before that.  Planning a BSBA with an AOS in Finance and CIS.  Any degree planning tips?  Assume one AOS can be considered electives for other AOS.  Since Gen Ed requirements are lowering, assuming the freed up elective space will make it easier to knock out 2 areas of study.  The TESU website doesn’t list course numbers, so I’m unsure what study.com class meets the Principles of Finance core business requirement.  There are 2 study.com classes listed that come in as 100 or 200 level classes.  Could he take both and use the second toward Finance AOS?  He will do 24 RA credits at a discounted rate as a highschooler to meet gen ed requirements or lower level classes like micro or macro economics and states.  His goal is to have marketable skills for employment immediately after undergrad degree with a reasonable paying job.  He planes to live frugally and earn enough to start investing on his own (real estate and small business).  Ultimately he wants to work for himself, but he knows that will take time.  Thanks for any help.
Hi Juju7.  Fellow homeschool mom with 3 children that did the same thing as yourself.  All 3 children were also going for a BSBA.  Two were with CIS, and they are graduating in August with their full degree. 

My daughter just officially started TESU @ 18 with 90 credits.  She is working on her BSBA in Marketing.  She did a lot of CLEP, Sophia, and Dual Enrollment.  It can be done!  She has been working on SDC for the UL Marketing courses.  For the RA, we took our main business courses so that we had the college experience in our field of study, and the possible business network experience as well. She had no problem entering into TESU since she had her RA's already done.  That was really all they required.  

For economics, in our experience, the local courses were boring and hard.  My sons took  CLEP, and they appreciated that much more.  In several of the colleges in our area, the professors had really low marks with lots of failing students.  (Consider using Rate My Professor website to check on the best professors for any course.)  My daughter took both economics courses locally, and she made B's at 16 years of age, but many other kids including friends were crying because they did not pass.  It did not seem like the material was hard, but the teachers were not capable of explaining the material.

Our experience at Sophia was great and very easy/quick.  It took my daughter usually a week per course.  Except do NOT attempt to do the English at all through Sophia.  There are many stories on this site about the English there.  I would use CLEP if a testing site is available in your area.  The English CLEP was especially easy, and the writing was super simple. 

The CLEP is free using Modern States  https://modernstates.org/ , and there is an additional site that offers more help and sample tests too.  The REA books are great for CLEP, and they are all located on this site.  LINK REMOVED    Clep offers at home testing now, but some on this site discovered it may not be that safe to take the tests at home because of hacking problems.  We took the tests at a local college, and it worked out very well.  The English, Analyzing Literature (which comes in as 6 credits @ TESU,) Principles of Management, and the American Government were the best courses for us to take using CLEP. It is accepted by all colleges and does not expire.  While TESU counts CLEP as ACE credits, they are much more accepted at any college up to certain limits of usually only 30 credits total allowed.  CLEP offers many courses that Sophia did not so it worked for us as a backup, and my sons took many courses before Sophia or SDC were available online.

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to ask or pm me.  This board is extremely helpful!

My children also enjoyed taking Speech as a RA course in front of a real class. I would suggest doing that one if given the chance.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dorothy44's post:
  • Juju7, schlocker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,323 8 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 526 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 453 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 477 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 321 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 360 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill