Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning for SNHU
Hello All,

Just started here. I have been looking at this website for a couple weeks now and decided to join, I hope to get some help and/or maybe so good advice

Your Location: Maryland, USA
Your Age: 27
What kind of degree do you want?:
I'm going for Environmental Science,
{but my dream is to become a Psychologist but thats in the future}

Current Regional Accredited Credits:

School Name Total Credits: #
Class Name, Credits, Grade

Central Carolina Community College
*Criminal Justice - 3 credits - (A)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

I have None

Any certifications or military experience?
 I have none as well

I've have been looking to do SL for years but It seems that's a lot of money for a buck that i feel like I'm not going to finish the course within a month. Especially when i see reviews say otherwise, which i hope it will be different if i do decided to get a couple of courses from the get college credit.
I'm looking at Sophia but I'm not sure what classes I should take I only see English and Environmental Science I should take. I know General education classes usually take History and Psychology but it does not say that on the SNHU website on the General Education credits; so I am stuck right now. Will it be taken as electives? I don't want to waste my take taking these classes when I can take other classes too. I also looked at Study.com and i saw the Geology 101 classes, and I am not sure if that equivalent to the PHY105 - Geology classes at SNHU. Should I call SNHU and ask if these classes at Study.com at equivalent to SNHU classes. How do I know ? Also another example: It says World Geography (GEO200) but on study.com says Geography 101? Do i still take that? Please help. THank You, I appreciate it.
Dumb question - why would you get an Environmental Science degree when your dream is to become a Psychologist? Why wouldn't you just get a degree in Psychology and get started on that plan?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
SNHU is a pretty popular online school, similar to Liberty. I would suggest taking some courses and get your Associates first then ladder up to the Bachelors, take some environmental science courses and psychology courses for your general education and electives, see which one suits you more. I would hold off on StraighterLine, but suggest Sophia.org/Study.com, if you're close to a test center, you may want to try CLEP and use Modernstates.org as a resource and to get vouchers for the exams.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-01-2021, 12:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Dumb question - why would you get an Environmental Science degree when your dream is to become a Psychologist? Why wouldn't you just get a degree in Psychology and get started on that plan?

It's just that between me and God, I thought It'd let myself go on that journey to let myself go in the route of Environmental Science because of all the wildfires in the world. I want to help instead of just sitting in the office talking to people all day as well. So in the future, i want to be able to do both. I hope i don't sound selfish or dumb.
These seem like a good place to start if you haven't already:
https://snhu.sophia.org/#courses
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/transferr...esting-out

Also take a look at the wiki:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

This will help to guide you on which courses to take and in which order. In general, any course with a touchstone should be taken concurrently with a course without touchstones, so you're not stuck waiting for grading. However, if you ever do have to wait for both courses at the same time, you can simply chat with customer support and ask them to unlock a third course.
empress_subzero Wrote:It's just that between me and God, I thought It'd let myself go on that journey to let myself go in the route of Environmental Science because of all the wildfires in the world. I want to help instead of just sitting in the office talking to people all day as well. So in the future, i want to be able to do both. I hope i don't sound selfish or dumb.

Woo Hoo! A hot firefighter by day, an empress psychologist at night... or is it the other way around? Anyways, that sounds reasonable! Again, take some courses to get started, decide if either/or is for you. I would get an Associates under your belt while you're waiting to get a Bachelors. Having 3 graded credits from Central Carolina, you can ladder that up to Pierpont BOG AAS using alternative credit from Sophia.org - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

(12-01-2021, 12:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: SNHU is a pretty popular online school, similar to Liberty.  I would suggest taking some courses and get your Associates first then ladder up to the Bachelors, take some environmental science courses and psychology courses for your general education and electives, see which one suits you more.  I would hold off on StraighterLine, but suggest Sophia.org/Study.com, if you're close to a test center, you may want to try CLEP and use Modernstates.org as a resource and to get vouchers for the exams.

Thank you for your input.
Also is Study.com quicker to do in regards to Straighterline?
OnlineDegree.com, which offers both Introduction to Psychology and an environmental science course (Climate Change and the Cyrosphere), also has a partnership with SNHU.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(12-01-2021, 01:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
empress_subzero Wrote:It's just that between me and God, I thought It'd let myself go on that journey to let myself go in the route of Environmental Science because of all the wildfires in the world. I want to help instead of just sitting in the office talking to people all day as well. So in the future, i want to be able to do both. I hope i don't sound selfish or dumb.

Woo Hoo!  A hot firefighter by day, an empress psychologist at night... or is it the other way around?  Anyways, that sounds reasonable!  Again, take some courses to get started, decide if either/or is for you.  I would get an Associates under your belt while you're waiting to get a Bachelors.  Having 3 graded credits from Central Carolina, you can ladder that up to Pierpont BOG AAS using alternative credit from Sophia.org - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

i appreciate the help but the Pierpont BOG AAS seems a little difficult to do. I guess cause it's not in the field I'm doing or so. It just seems complicated to obtain when I'm not pursuing that type of degree.

(12-01-2021, 01:12 PM)origamishuttle Wrote: These seem like a good place to start if you haven't already:
https://snhu.sophia.org/#courses
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/transferr...esting-out

Also take a look at the wiki:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

This will help to guide you on which courses to take and in which order. In general, any course with a touchstone should be taken concurrently with a course without touchstones, so you're not stuck waiting for grading. However, if you ever do have to wait for both courses at the same time, you can simply chat with customer support and ask them to unlock a third course.

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I'll be looking more into it!
(12-01-2021, 01:29 PM)empress_subzero Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 01:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Woo Hoo!  A hot firefighter by day, an empress psychologist at night... or is it the other way around?  Anyways, that sounds reasonable!  Again, take some courses to get started, decide if either/or is for you.  I would get an Associates under your belt while you're waiting to get a Bachelors.  Having 3 graded credits from Central Carolina, you can ladder that up to Pierpont BOG AAS using alternative credit from Sophia.org - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

i appreciate the help but the Pierpont BOG AAS seems a little difficult to do. I guess cause it's not in the field I'm doing or so. It just seems complicated to obtain when I'm not pursuing that type of degree.

Here's the thing, you're going for a Bachelors at SNHU, you'll need to take courses using alternative credit providers.  When you're "done" with 60-90 credits at SNHU, you've already finished your Pierpont BOG AAS without spending any extra energy, money, time.  I would do this if it takes you a year or two to finish the rest of the Bachelors at SNHU...  

Just because if something comes along in terms of a part time job and the minimum would be an Associates, you've got that covered... or if life happens and you can't continue onward for another few years, you've got the Associates instead of "Bachelors in progress".  You don't even need to apply for it until you're half done with SNHU, I highly recommend it...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 28 332 49 minutes ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 122 7 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 266 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 128 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 173 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer