Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science with Lab Options?
I am having a difficult time deciding what the best path forward would be regarding the required COSC science with lab. I work in the engineering field and I worked in a lab for 3.5 years. I was thinking of trying to get the requirement waived based on experience. My comm college accepted the experience and waived the requirement. The COSC advisor told me it was unlikely that they would waive the course. If this approach fails, what is the quickest and most economical option to fulfill the requirement?
There are some good options in this recent thread:
http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...g-kid.html
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
A lot of people use the science labs through Straighterline. You can pair these with a CLEP or other exam/course or take the corresponding Striaghterline course. COSC accepts these courses.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Another option for a fast 1-cr lab is through Rio Salado - the Nutrition lab. I've heard it can be done in a few days, and it's $215. More expensive than a SL lab, but might be worth it to get through it so quickly (it's what I would do if I needed a lab). You can then take the Nutrition course/exam via SL, Study.com, or as a TECEP.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Another option for a fast 1-cr lab is through Rio Salado - the Nutrition lab. I've heard it can be done in a few days, and it's $215. More expensive than a SL lab, but might be worth it to get through it so quickly (it's what I would do if I needed a lab). You can then take the Nutrition course/exam via SL, Study.com, or as a TECEP.

No books or lab kits needed - it's a copy and paste from the lessons then turn it into your own words. It really isn't/shouldn't be a lab at all.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
dfrecore Wrote:Another option for a fast 1-cr lab is through Rio Salado - the Nutrition lab. I've heard it can be done in a few days, and it's $215. More expensive than a SL lab, but might be worth it to get through it so quickly (it's what I would do if I needed a lab). You can then take the Nutrition course/exam via SL, Study.com, or as a TECEP.

It's actually cheaper than SL lab because all the SL labs require (1) membership $99 (2) tuition $49 and (3) lab kit around $250ish. If you get a code, you can sometimes save on the tuition (-20 or so) and you *might get really really lucky and find a second hand lab kit, but it's pretty expensive.

I'm having 2 of my kids take it together, but I'm waiting for a code. That way they'll both share a lab kit at least.
I got an email from ed4credit.com today and they added two new labs. The labs cost $65 but you have to buy a lab kit which is $98.

General Biology Lab
https://ed4credit.com/bio-102l-general-biology-lab

General Chemistry Lab
https://ed4credit.com/chm-130l-general-chemistry-i-lab

Ed4Credit also posted on another thread about a new coupon: DegreeForum17 the coupon will save you $20 off every course
http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...w-ace.html

Just thought I would share this option as well Smile
Thank you! I have just submitted a body of evidence to COSC to support my request for a waiver. If I get denied, I'm planning for the worst, I will definitely take advantage of one of those.
UPDATE: After submitting a very large body of evidence that relied heavily on my work experience, Charter Oak approved my waiver!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,551 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,898 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,694 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,461 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Options for TESU BSBA Gen.Mgt Finance & Business/Society Excellente 5 1,889 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,198 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,345 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,270 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger