Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree advice for my son
Ok, I posted in Jan. but still trying to figure this out. My son is a train wreck educationally. He has adhd/dyslexia and a poor GPA 1.7. We've poured way too much money in his college education and at this point he needs an accredited degree from somewhere. He wants to go to flight school and the degree concentration doesn't matter apparently. He's applied to TESU (waiting on eval.), Florida Tech (waiting on eval.), Liberty (unofficial eval accepted 33 cr.), Embry Riddle (won't take him at this time due to GPA) and considering Charter Oak (haven't applied yet, no fee waiver).  He has 43 credits passed with C or higher and 22 credits worth of D's! Is his best bet Charter Oak since they will take the D's? He's trying to get an Associate in something and move on to flying. He spent this semester at the local community college and earned a whole 3 cr! Thanks in advance for the advice!

The Citadel
BIOL 130 Introduction to Biology I, D, 3 cr.
BIOL 131 Intro to Biology Lab I, C, 1 cr.
ENGL 101 Composition & Lit I, C, 3 cr.
LDRS 101 First Year Experience, A, 1 cr.
MLTY 101 Leadership & Personal Develop, C, 1 cr.
AERO 102 The Foundations of the USAF II, C, 1 cr.
BIOL 102 General Biology II, B, 3 cr.
BIOL 112 General Biology Lab II, A, 1 cr.
FNAR 350 Video Production, B, 3 cr.
BADM 217 Computer Applicatn in Business, D, 3 cr.
FNAR 304 Drawing, D, 3 cr.
HIST 105 World Civilization I, C, 3 cr.
201 Team & Leadership Fundamentals, C, 1 cr.
BADM 101 Introduction to Business, D, 3 cr.
HIST 104 History Western Civ II, D, 3 cr.
LDRS 201 Sophomore Sem in Prin Ldrship, C, 1 cr.
AERO 202 Team & Leadership Fundamentals, D, 1 cr.
BAND 202 Regimental Band/Pipes IV, A, 3 cr.
ENGL 102 Composition & Lit II, B, 3 cr.
RPED 251 Found/Fitness & Exercise, A, 2 cr.
STAT 160  Statistical Methods, C, 3 cr.

Embry Riddle
PHYS 241 The Physics of Flight, A, 3 cr.

Rochester Institute of Technology
CASTPLTW10188 Introduction to Engineering Design, B, 3 cr.

Erskine College
BA226LABO Image Design Graphics, B-, 3 cr.
BA342LECF3 Occupational Safety and Health Administration, D, 3 cr.
SM201LECE3 Introduction to Sport Management, D, 3cr.

Trident Technical College
PSC 201   American Government, C, 3 cr.

Total: 43 passing
Total D’s: 22
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
I’m not one of the veterans on here. But wanted to try this. I hear you on the money. Sophia just opened their courses to be free. So be encouraged.

Given what you listed, I counted 42 credits passed and 22 with D. Maybe I missed one.

If I did a rough eval of this for TESU associates in arts, he has met the following (but TESU will have the final say of course):

Written Communication 6 credits (met through Eng 101 and 102 at Citadel)
Quantitative Literacy (the statistical course should meet that) 3 credits
Civic Engagement 3 credits (PSC American Gov’t)
3 of the 12 credits in Knowledge of Human Cultures (World Civ)
4 credits in Physical World ( the bio 102 and lab with it)
and I counted 23 credits for electives (that had C or higher so it should/might count) and only 20 seem to be needed.

That leaves
if TESU does not accept D, then to get Associates in Arts, you need:
Oral Communication (sophia has one)
Diversity (sophia sociology can work)
Ethics (sophia or institutes)
3 more “knowledge of human cultures”
and of course the SOS110 at TESU.

Have you considered the idea of using sophia right now for? Courses are free through July due to issues with covid19 and colleges. You can use the videos on there to help. You can see if he could use a tutor (you or someone) to help stay on track and focused. With one of my students, I helped her stay on track with some helps with organizing time and reporting in. a mentoring role. and on the ethics class at the institutes, we sat together to get that done and stay less distracted.

I’m not familiar with COSC as much.

based that on this info on TESU https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/aa/index
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

bsinsc, OP - I noticed you're a grad from TESU as well, I very much agree with p226mem that an Associates in Arts or Science would do great for you son before he moves on, especially when he can take all he can with Sophia.org that doesn't duplicate any of his courses. I would recommend taking everything he can within the FREE credits as well if he hasn't. Having said that, I think you're right, COSC would be the cheaper/easier option. He should however take at least 4 courses from StraighterLine and if he's going for a BA/BS, then at least 4 or more from Study.com

Here's my reasoning for taking StraighterLine: Paying for a month membership and 4 courses would be "paid back" to you when you pay for tuition and all other fees at COSC. Those 4 courses equates to 10% everything. If you take 2 courses (capstone/cornerstone), that would already be $2500 alone, if you have other fees, it can hit close to $3000. Now, 10% of that is $300... Straighterline will cost $99/month, $59/course, if you take 4 courses and one month subscription it's only $335. This practically makes those 4 courses $35bucks!! And the kicker is, if he takes specific courses at StraighterLine, it comes in as Upper Level credit! Organizational Behavior and Business Ethics - Oh yeah baby!

Study.com is necessary as this provider has the most upper level requirements for COSC, EC and TESU. You should round out the remaining upper level credits with this provider. StraighterLine/Study.com is my recommend providers for Lower Level and Upper Level requirements. Further to that, Study.com has discounts for TESU if he decides to go there instead.

Last but not least, my #3 three providers has just leapfrogged Study.com (current #1) and StraighterLine (current #2) to be my #1 fave provider for now just because of the FREE courses they have for so many different schools. You should or must take the Project Management course from them if you want to transfer into COSC, it should come in as Upper Level. Again, if he does go for a BA/BS, he now will have 3 upper level courses completed, cheap/easy/fast.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
First, how did you compute his GPA? I show it's a 2.15.

Second, does it have to be an AA/AS, or can it be an AAS? If so, then you're probably better off at Pierpont getting the BOG AAS. https://www.pierpont.edu/ac/programs/board-governors

Third, if you do need an AA/AS, COSC will be the cheapest of the Big 3, and they will take D-'s for everything except the AOS and English Comp (and the AA doesn't have an AOS, and he has good enough grades in English Comp). My only concern there is the GPA, not sure they will let him in, but for sure he has to have a 2.0 to graduate. But if he took the Cornerstone and got a C or higher, would that be the 2.0 needed, or would they average ALL of his grades? Not certain. https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php
I show that he only needs Oral Comm, Ethics, and the cornerstone. Cost will be $1717 plus the courses (and they don't take the free ethics course as meeting the ethics requirement).

TESU will be an expensive option, but they do take D's (not D-'s) and need a C or higher in English (done) and the AOS (not applicable to the AA). I know for certain that the only require a 2.0 in their own courses to graduate, so he'd be fine there. That $2800 will be a big price to pay, but might be worth it. I show that he only needs Oral Comm, Ethics, and the cornerstone. Cost will be $4285 plus the courses (Ethics can be gotten for free).

If I were you, I'd have him go to Sophia and take Intro to Ethics and Public Speaking, as they are completely free right now due to CoronaVirus. They will both work at both schools, and their platform is excellent.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ok, thanks for the advice.....all good! Haven't heard of Pierpont before but looks like that might be another option...He was 2 years at Citadel and his GPA was 1.7 on his transcript there. He failed quite a few classes.....his latest GPA at community college was 1.0! He passed 1 class and failed 1. ARRGGHHH!
So, as far as GPA...do you think Pierpont? COSC? or TESU? Embry Riddle already said no until he passes 3 classes.
Also, how do I tell the difference between a D and D-? His transcript only says D, I think.
I appreciate your help! I gotta get a plan to get this kid a degree and start adulting off my payroll lol
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
(03-20-2020, 01:09 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Ok, thanks for the advice.....all good! Haven't heard of Pierpont before but looks like that might be another option...He was 2 years at Citadel and his GPA was 1.7 on his transcript there. He failed quite a few classes.....his latest GPA at community college was 1.0! He passed 1 class and failed 1.  ARRGGHHH!
So, as far as GPA...do you think Pierpont? COSC? or TESU? Embry Riddle already said no until he passes 3 classes.
Also, how do I tell the difference between a D and D-? His transcript only says D, I think.
I appreciate your help! I gotta get a plan to get this kid a degree and start adulting off my payroll lol

Well, you did not include the Failed courses, which would lower the GPA.

What a school puts on the transcript is the grade, so you don't have to tell the difference - it will be apparent.

I think you just have to go to each school and see what they say.  If they say no because of GPA, then you are just out of luck there, and will have to continue looking for another option.

Not certain why you think you have to get your son a degree, I personally don't think you do.  I actually did much better once I was off the payroll and I started adulting on my own.  I know it's easier said than done, but you might be doing him a favor by kicking him off your payroll.  Just something to think about.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Is it an option to finish at The Citadel? He might be almost done there with all the credits he hasl.
(03-20-2020, 01:19 PM)natshar Wrote: Is it an option to finish at The Citadel? He might be almost done there with all the credits he hasl.

It's a 4yr school, I don't think they offer AA's.  And, it's crazy expensive. $25k/yr in-state.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • natshar
just for clarity, the "free ethics" course dfrecore mentions is not the sophia course (which is currently free). It's the insurance one from "the institutes" which has been free for a while. ooh. if cosc or tesu take D, then he could have even less to get it done than I listed. be encouraged. It can be done if he's interested to finish.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

I don't think he can get licensed by the FAA if he is diagnosed with ADHD.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 161 5 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 671 5 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 65 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 350 11 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 355 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 153 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,488 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 145 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM