Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan Charter Oak with goal of Georgia Tech OMSCS
(04-04-2020, 01:47 PM)bluebooger Wrote: >  Was accepted into Univ of Illinois Springfield's MS/CS program and took 2 courses and was then accepted into Univ of Illinois Urbana Champagne's MCS program.

so you were accepted into one MS program, took two courses, and then was accepted into the 2nd MS program and so you dropped out of the first one ?

why not continue with the first one ?              
just because the 2nd one has a better reputation ?              

did the two courses from the first transfer to the 2nd ?

My plan was to go to UIUC from the beginning but the decision process is much slower. That's why I got started at Springfield. Plus it's more expensive. They allow 12 credits worth of transfers. So I took 2 classes at Springfield which is cheaper. If the credits transfer (same school system, small 4cr per class, so I'm hopeful they will) then I'll continue at UIUC. UIUC is requiring me to drop UIS but there would be no reason to try to do both anyways.

In CS it's Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley, MIT, Stanford tied for 1st. Then UIUC in 5th. So pretty serious reputation.
[-] The following 2 users Like jonesy20's post:
  • SteveFoerster, StudentOLife
Hi

I'm on the warpath per on this thread, thanks so much, guys! Finishing English Comp I and looking at how I can prioritize the rest. I have a few questions if that's ok? I'm copying this out of a private message and thought it'd be better to solicit more opinions. 

Qn 1) I wanted advice on how best to leverage 3rd party options for TESU BA with Comp Sci instead of COSC BSBA(see following post for TESU BACS Acad evaluation), would the same courses advised me to take from sophia still apply?

- I can place: English Comp I & II, Public speaking (into the TESU BACS Acad evaluation below)
- Only 50 to 70% sure about: Intro to Ethics(no course with the same name in TESU)
- The rest will fall under general education?
  • College Algebra
  • Intro to Statistics
  • Intro to Information Technology
  • Intro to Psychology
  • Intro to Sociology
  • Human Biology
  • Environmental Science

Qn 2) How does double counting in TESU work? for instance, if I took "TESU COS-451: Artificial Intelligencewould it count as both a general elective and a AOS elective?

Qn 3) Would you recommend the double majors in TESU? I'm look at BA CompSci + Math.

Qn 4) Is it quicker/cheaper to complete COSC business, then get a second CompSci degree at TESU?  

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Students who have received one baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must:
  • Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
  • Additionally, students must complete all other degree requirements as listed in the current Thomas Edison State University Catalog.
(From: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees)

-------appendix-----
bjcheung77's reply from the thread(https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...SCS?page=2):
Quote: Wrote:Your only resolution (if you accept it) is to get your general education courses done first, get all of them as it shows you'll need it for COSC, EC, TESU, because that's what you're missing for the COSC BSBA anyways.  Here are your courses that you need all from Sophia, especially because - they're amazing and FREE!

**Project Management (If you wanted to, I think you have enough Business in the Area of Study for COSC)
English Comp I
English Comp II
Public Speaking
College Algebra
Intro to Statistics
Intro to Information Technology
Intro to Ethics
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Sociology
Human Biology
Environmental Science

Most recent TESA BACS evaluation 1 of 2:

Code:
Program: BA in Computer Science (BA.COS1)
Catalog Year: 2020

Program Summary: (In Progress)
Semester Hours (SH) Required:    120.00
SH Applied to Degree:    40.50
SH Remaining:    79.50
SH To Be Planned:    79.50
Thomas Edison State University GPA Needed:    2.000
Thomas Edison State University GPA Earned:    
Overall Degree GPA Needed:    2.000
Overall Degree GPA Requirement Met:    Yes
Community College SH (90 SH Maximum):    0.00
Foreign Credits (90 cr. Maximum):    40.50
These institutions/organizations are those from which credit has been applied toward your degree requirements. Use the number next to the institution in this list to identify the original source of a transfer course on your Academic Evaluation.
1 TESU-Foreign
Program Requirements:
1: BA General Education (60 SH) (In progress)
SH Earned: 19.5    Complete all 5 subrequirements:

A: INTEL & PRACT SKILLS (In progress)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Intellectual and Practical Skills Courses

SH Earned: 3

Written Communication 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ENC-101 English Composition I *must earn a grade of C/CR or better
Source    Course    Title    Term    Grade    SH    TESU #    Notes
______    _______________    _________________________    __________    _______    _______    __________    
3 credits needed
Written Communication 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ENC-102 English Composition II *must earn a grade of C/CR or better
______    _______________    _________________________    __________    _______    _______    __________    
3 credits needed
Oral Communication 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: COM-209 Public Speaking
3 credits needed
Quantitative Literacy 3SH (Complete)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: MAT-121 College Algebra
1    STA299    Business Statistics    10/01/07    CR    3.00    STA-299    
*FOR    *TE
Information Literacy 3SH (INSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT) (Not started)
To meet this requirement, students MUST take SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University.
3 credits needed
B: CIV & GLOBAL LDRSHP (In progress)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Civic and Global Leadership Courses

SH Earned: 3

Diversity Intercultural Literacy 3SH (Complete)
Zero Textbook option: SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology (Students pursuing a BA in Sociology should select a different course to satisfy the Diversity requirement.)
1    MAN271    International Business    10/01/09    CR    3.00    MAN-271    
*FOR    *TE
Ethical Leadership 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ETH-230 Ethics in a Digital Age
3 credits needed
Civic Engagement 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: POS-110 American Government (Students pursuing the BA in Political Science should select a different course to satisfy the Civic Engagement requirement.)
3 credits needed
C: KNOWLDG HUMAN CULTRS (Complete)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Knowledge of Human Cultures Courses

Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) options, include but are not limited to:

HIS-114 American History II (Students pursuing a BA in History should select HUM-103 Introduction to the Humanities III: Music)

LIB-342 Online Obsessions: Determining and Dealing with Digital Dependency

PHI-130 Critical Reasoning

PSY-305 Brain and Mind
Humanities and/or Social Sciences 12SH
SH Earned: 13.5
1    ECO111    Macroeconomics    04/01/07    CR    3.00    ECO-111    
*FOR    *TE
1    ECO112    Microeconomics    10/01/07    CR    3.00    ECO-112    
*FOR    *TE
1    FRE101    Intro to Lang and Cult French    10/01/07    CR    2.25    FRE-101    
*FOR    *TE
1    ART100    Understanding Art    04/01/08    CR    2.25    ART-100    
*FOR    *TE
1    MAN212    Organizational Behavior    04/01/07    CR    3.00    MAN-212    
*FOR    *TE
D: UNDRST PHYS&NAT WRLD (Not started)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Understanding the Physical and Natural World Courses
Natural Sciences 4SH
3 credits needed
1 credit needed
E: GE ELECTIVES (Not started)
GEN ED ELECTIVES:
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to General Education Elective Courses.

To identify which of these courses is Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC), go to Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses.
General Education Electives 20SH
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
2 credits needed

Most recent TESA BACS evaluation 2 of 2:

Code:
2: Computer Science (36SH: 15SH must be upper level) (Not started)
SH Earned: 0    GPA Achieved/Needed: none / 2.000    Complete all 7 subrequirements:

A: Intro to Programming (Not started)
3 SH

*must earn a grade of C/CR or better

For TESU course options, go to COS-111 Introduction to Programming
3 credits needed
B: Data Structures (Not started)
3 SH

For TESU course options, go to COS-241 Data Structures
3 credits needed
C: Calculus I (Not started)
3 SH

For TESU course options, go to MAT-231 Calculus I
3 credits needed
D: Discrete Math (Not started)
3 SH

For TESU course options, go to MAT-270 Discrete Mathematics.
3 credits needed
E: Operating Systems (Not started)
3 SH

For TESU course options, go to COS-240 Operating Systems
3 credits needed
F: Comp. Architecture (Not started)
3 SH

For TESU course options, go to COS-330 Computer Architecture
3 credits needed
G: AOS Electives (Not started)
18 SH

**At least 15 of the 36 credits required within the entire Area of Study must be at the 300/400 level.**

*must earn grades of C/CR or better

For TESU and other course options, please contact an Advisor

SH Earned: 0

Group 1 (Not started)
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
Group 2 (Not started)
3 credits needed
3 credits needed

3: Liberal Arts Capstone (3 SH) (Not started)

This Capstone course must be taken with Thomas Edison State University or via an approved Thomas Edison State University Academic Program Review. Baccalaureate students will not be permitted to register for a capstone course unless they have 100 credits applied toward the requirements for the declared degree and a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

For TESU course options, go to LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone Course
3 credits needed

4: Electives (21SH) (Complete)

For TESU course options, go to Elective Courses
SH Earned: 21
1    CAP101    Computer Systems & Application    04/01/07    CR    3.00    CAP-101    
*FOR    *TE
1    ACC102    Business Accounting I    04/01/07    CR    3.00    ACC-102    
*FOR    *TE
1    MAR201    Marketing Fundamentals    10/01/07    CR    3.00    MAR-201    
*FOR    *TE
1    MAN210    Prin of Management    10/01/07    CR    3.00    MAN-210    
*FOR    *TE
1    ACC299    Business Accounting 2    10/01/07    CR    3.00    ACC-299    
*FOR    *7Y    *TE
1    HRM231    Human Resource Management    04/01/08    CR    3.00    HRM-231    
*FOR    *TE
1    FIN211    Business Finance    04/01/08    CR    3.00    FIN-211    
*FOR    *TE

Other Courses:
1    ACC199    Managerial Acctg 2    10/01/09        (3.00)    ACC-199    *PTE *FOR *PL *DOC    
1    COP199    Student Internship Program    10/01/09    CR    6.00     COP-199    *TE *FOR    
1    MAN299    Practice of Entrepreneurship    10/01/09    CR    3.00     MAN-299    *TE *FOR    
1    ACC101    Managerial Accounting 1    04/01/09    CR    3.00     ACC-101    *TE *FOR    
1    CDR199    Applied Prin of Effective Liv    04/01/09    CR    0.00     CDR-199    *RI *TE *FOR *CD    
1    FIN299    Security Analysis & Portfolio    04/01/09    CR    3.00     FIN-299    *TE *FOR *7Y    
1    FIN299    Financial Analysis    04/01/09    CR    3.00     FIN-299    *TE *FOR    
1    HRM232    Performance & Compensation Man    04/01/09    CR    3.00     HRM-232    *TE *FOR *7Y    
1    HRM244    Human Resource Development    04/01/09        (3.00)    HRM-244    *PTE *FOR *PL *DOC    
1    BUE101    Personal Financial Planning    10/01/08    CR    3.00     BUE-101    *TE *FOR    
1    FIN221    Fund of Investment    10/01/08    CR    3.00     FIN-221    *TE *FOR    
1    HRM265    Management of Employee Relatio    10/01/08    CR    3.00     HRM-265    *TE *FOR    
1    HRM299    Recruitment & Human Resource a    10/01/08    CR    3.00     HRM-299    *TE *FOR    
1    MAN299    Manageing Business Systems    10/01/08    CR    3.00     MAN-299    *TE *FOR    
1    CDR199    Applied Prin for Effective Liv    04/01/08    CR    0.00     CDR-199    *RI *TE *FOR *CD    
1    MAN230    Basics of Entrepreneurship    04/01/08    CR    0.75     MAN-230    *TE *FOR    
1    MAN299    Entrepreneurship Project Inter    04/01/08    CR    2.25     MAN-299    *TE *FOR    
1    CDR199    Applied Prin for Effective Liv    04/01/07    CR    0.00     CDR-199    *RI *TE *FOR *CD    
(Credits in parentheses are anticipated earned)
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

(03-30-2020, 12:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Question#1: My rational for finishing COSC's business bachelors is because then it meets the first requirement, for a bachelors.
Many people pivot after a bachelors into a different Masters, and with a few accredited CS credits - so maybe i can get them from a 3rd party(Sophia/Study/Saylor) while I do my COSC Business Bachelors?

Answer#1: You're missing the same credits for the COSC and TESU degrees, all of them are exactly what I thought, General Education requirements.  You just need to finish all of them through Sophia.org, skip the foundation courses and the 1 credit ones and the College Readiness.  Just get the gen eds done and you're in a perfect spot for any degree (COSC, EC or TESU).

Question#2: Does this mean, even if my 3rd party credits are accepted by COSC, it may not be beneficial for GT Masters application?

Answer#2: The courses you are going to be taking are all ACE credits, they're just pass/fail, it has no bearing on your application GPA as they don't have GPA on these courses.  It's just used for alternative credit towards transfer into a Bachelors.  If you transfer any ACE credit to COSC, EC, TESU, they'll grant a pass/fail for them.

Question#3: Did it work out for you, the check box degree, do you wish you'd done it direct to what you wanted in the first place?

Answer#3: Of course it did, the degree helped me out tremendously.  I even had a bump in pay raise before I got the degree as I told my directors/vp's that I will be getting the degree and they acknowledged how I worked (my business acumen and work ethic) before I got it.

I wasn't planning on getting the BACS as Comp Sci is my second overall subject that I am interested in.  Biology is my fave subject, Comp Science, Math, Psychology and then Business.  I grabbed the business degree because of it's utility and at the time, it was the final one that was "test-out-able" for the capstone course, it was also the cheapest!

Your only resolution (if you accept it) is to get your general education courses done first, get all of them as it shows you'll need it for COSC, EC, TESU, because that's what you're missing for the COSC BSBA anyways.  Here are your courses that you need all from Sophia, especially because - they're amazing and FREE!

**Project Management (If you wanted to, I think you have enough Business in the Area of Study for COSC)
English Comp I
English Comp II
Public Speaking
College Algebra
Intro to Statistics
Intro to Information Technology
Intro to Ethics
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Sociology
Human Biology
Environmental Science

Once you're done these, you can update the thread as that would get you to 110 credits at COSC.  You can get another evaluation from them and we'll see what's missing.  So, if you need more details, reply to this post with further questions and if you like what you read and need help, post updates -  I am available by PM if you wanted to, I get many every day.

BTW, I highly suggest getting some credits from SL/Study.com just in case at the very end of your studies, they provide discounts towards courses at COSC, EC, TESU and the cost of the courses would be offset with these type of fees at especially at COSC.  SL for LL/Study.com for UL... in your case, finish the Lower Level at StraighterLine and  Upper Level at Study.com

I've finished all the courses aside from "Intro to IT" and "Intro to Sociology". Took "Art History" and "US History" instead. 
It seems like Charter Oak won't allow a re-evaluation until we enroll and kept saying they don't recommend 3rd party, putting me off COSC, to be honest.
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 102 41 minutes ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 177 10 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 257 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 557 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower