Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cybersecurity Degree Question
Hello everyone, 

I was planning on pursuing a Bachelor's in finance from TESU but not now I want to do a career change to cybersecurity. I've worked in finance/budget for almost two decades but it was never my "passion" and I've finally decided to do something I believe will keep me engaged for the next two or three decades. Is there a general consensus as to the best "big three" schools for a cybersecurity degree? I haven't found a lot about cybersecurity in my searches so hopefully someone has started/finished the degree with one of the schools or has some sound advice. 

I'm probably going to take a huge pay cut when I start out as an entry level cyber person but I'm really bored with budget/finance and I think it's time for a change. I've started to learn how to code in Python and dabbled in SQL and found that I like it. Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes ambull01's post:
  • ms_butterfly
I think (but I'm not positive) that cybersecurity is one of the easier degrees to complete with alternate credits, at least through TESU. I don't know about COSC or EC.

Have you gotten your Sophia courses in yet?
If you're considering a Cybersecurity degree, you should also consider WGU if you're a US resident.

They are pretty well regarded in the tech community, and if you are also considering graduate degrees, we have first-hand experience that the WGU BSCSIA degree meets the entrance requirements to get into a top-ranked program like Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
What courses have you completed?
Do you want a program that you can go at your own pace or one that you can do cheaper if you go fast?
Try to figure out how to get some hands on experience. Even if it is just labs. That is the biggest weakness I am seeing with entry level people in the field.

Do you work in financial services? If you do there, is a bridge to Cyber through Fraud or Risk Management teams.

I would put CompTIA Security+ and CySA+ on your road map. Sec+ is a well recognized entry level security cert. Its weakness is that it is mostly theory which is where CySA+ comes in. While not as recognized yet, it has a lot of practical application. I plan to make it an advancement requirement for my team. There are a lot of certs in this spec, but Sec+ is the place to start. One before it is CompTIA Network+.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
[-] The following 1 user Likes ajs1976a's post:
  • alab21
(07-12-2020, 04:05 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think (but I'm not positive) that cybersecurity is one of the easier degrees to complete with alternate credits, at least through TESU. I don't know about COSC or EC.

Have you gotten your Sophia courses in yet?

Yes that's good news, thanks! I haven't done Sophia courses yet, to be honest I just found out about it now. I thought I read a lot through this site but I missed everything about Sophia. Not a good omen for cybersecurity (attention to detail is lacking lol). I thought my mind was made up regarding a degree in finance through TESU and had a course map so I wasn't looking for other alternate sources of credit. Guess I just blew my chances of free courses through Sophia.

(07-12-2020, 05:32 PM)Merlin Wrote: If you're considering a Cybersecurity degree, you should also consider WGU if you're a US resident.

They are pretty well regarded in the tech community, and if you are also considering graduate degrees, we have first-hand experience that the WGU BSCSIA degree meets the entrance requirements to get into a top-ranked program like Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity degree.

That sounds good. I'm still getting calls and emails from WGU so I'll finally respond to them and inquire about their cyber degree. I would like to eventually earn a graduate degree to expand my knowledge/education. Thank you

(07-12-2020, 07:40 PM)ajs1976a Wrote: What courses have you completed?
Do you want a program that you can go at your own pace or one that you can do cheaper if you go fast?
Try to figure out how to get some hands on experience. Even if it is just labs. That is the biggest weakness I am seeing with entry level people in the field.

Do you work in financial services? If you do there, is a bridge to Cyber through Fraud or Risk Management teams.

I would put CompTIA Security+ and CySA+ on your road map. Sec+ is a well recognized entry level security cert. Its weakness is that it is mostly theory which is where CySA+ comes in. While not as recognized yet, it has a lot of practical application. I plan to make it an advancement requirement for my team. There are a lot of certs in this spec, but Sec+ is the place to start. One before it is CompTIA Network+.
I'll have to find my transfer credit transcript that I received from TESU and repost it. I didn't have a lot left for a finance degree from TESU but not I'll probably have more to complete for a cyber degree.

Both of those options sound good to me lol. I would like cheaper if possible but I still have about a year left of benefits from my GI Bill and my company will pay up to $4,250 for education per year so I have that if needed.

I just took a cyber assessment test through my company, not sure how I did though. If I scored well they have a cyber program I could go through since it sounds like there's a huge shortage of qualified cyber people. That would be ideal if I can get in it. If not I'll try to find a Meetup group or some other way to gain some hands on/real world experience to go along with education and certs.

Yep Security+ is definitely on my plan. There's so many IT certs it's kind of confusing so thanks for the recommendation. I was also thinking about the A+ cert because I'm not coming from a tech/IT background. Network+ too eventually and, hopefully, the CISSP (I think that's what it's called) since I hear that's a sought after cert.

I work in the federal government/federal contracting world. I've mostly worked with the DoD, in the active duty Marine Corps then as a GS employee/federal contractor. I'm probably making a huge mistake since I'm considered a senior level employee at the moment and I'll have to start as an entry level cyber person but I've gotten to the point where I'm extremely bored with what I do. Thanks for the info
Sophia.com classes are free until July 31st. You've got some time to get some classes completed by then and on the 31st you can sign up for 2 classes and complete them after the free period ends. You can only be enrolled in 2 classes at a time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ambull01
(07-12-2020, 03:56 PM)ambull01 Wrote: Hello everyone, 

I was planning on pursuing a Bachelor's in finance from TESU but not now I want to do a career change to cybersecurity. I've worked in finance/budget for almost two decades but it was never my "passion" and I've finally decided to do something I believe will keep me engaged for the next two or three decades. Is there a general consensus as to the best "big three" schools for a cybersecurity degree? I haven't found a lot about cybersecurity in my searches so hopefully someone has started/finished the degree with one of the schools or has some sound advice. 

I'm probably going to take a huge pay cut when I start out as an entry level cyber person but I'm really bored with budget/finance and I think it's time for a change. I've started to learn how to code in Python and dabbled in SQL and found that I like it. Thanks
Hi
I would go for Computer science degree from Big 3 if I would be you. I cant test out TESU cybersecurity degree. I went through their requirements many times. At the same time you will cover multiple fronts- if you will struggle to get good cybersecurity job in the beginning you can start as software developer or related. This way you will not waist your time and you get into IT field. Also it can be easier to enter cybersecurity from programmer  position. Keep in mind cybersecurity is very diverse field. It can help you to have good understanding of many computers science concepts to have greater success in cybersecurity career.  So this way you can fast test out of you degree and enter faster IT industry and have fullier knowledge of related areas. You can always consider masters in cybersecurity later . Also  all COMPTIA certifications are good for employment,  you can add CEH. Its not the best best but it will definitely open doors for job interviews.
That said unless you have good practical skills in one of areas of cybersecurity ( it can be learn throughout various online labs) you most probably end up as IT support desk employee. Since you are bored with finance to avoid the same i suggest to make sure you have good knowledge of practical labs. So you can have better chance to land job which is directly related to the field of cybersecurity you potentially are interested in. I know some people by self study and gaining certain practically oriented certifications landed very good ( even intermediate level ) jobs straight away without prior working experience.  But you really have to have good knowledge of practical skills and invest in hard to get cerfications due to difficulty level. Again it is advice.  Some people will have different experience.
(07-12-2020, 08:53 PM)ambull01 Wrote: I just took a cyber assessment test through my company, not sure how I did though. If I scored well they have a cyber program I could go through since it sounds like there's a huge shortage of qualified cyber people. That would be ideal if I can get in it.

Tell me more about this.  I have questions and comments on the other things that have been posted, but this is the most important part.  What was the assessment like?  Have you talked to anyone about the program and did they share insight?
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(07-13-2020, 01:01 AM)Cofffeee Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 03:56 PM)ambull01 Wrote: Hello everyone, 

Hi
I would go for Computer science degree from Big 3 if I would be you. I cant test out TESU cybersecurity degree. I went through their requirements many times. At the same time you will cover multiple fronts- if you will struggle to get good cybersecurity job in the beginning you can start as software developer or related. This way you will not waist your time and you get into IT field. Also it can be easier to enter cybersecurity from programmer  position. Keep in mind cybersecurity is very diverse field. It can help you to have good understanding of many computers science concepts to have greater success in cybersecurity career.  So this way you can fast test out of you degree and enter faster IT industry and have fullier knowledge of related areas. You can always consider masters in cybersecurity later . Also  all COMPTIA certifications are good for employment,  you can add CEH. Its not the best best but it will definitely open doors for job interviews.
That said unless you have good practical skills in one of areas of cybersecurity ( it can be learn throughout various online labs) you most probably end up as IT support desk employee. Since you are bored with finance to avoid the same i suggest to make sure you have good knowledge of practical labs. So you can have better chance to land job which is directly related to the field of cybersecurity you potentially are interested in. I know some people by self study and gaining certain practically oriented certifications landed very good ( even intermediate level ) jobs straight away without prior working experience.  But you really have to have good knowledge of practical skills and invest in hard to get cerfications due to difficulty level. Again it is advice.  Some people will have different experience.
Thanks for those suggestions, it sounds like a good plan. I'll look into a CS degree as well and do a pro/con list to decide. Just read the WGU cyber program will give you a bunch of certs when you graduate, not sure if TESU is the same. I have some research to do now, lots of options.

(07-13-2020, 05:01 AM)ajs1976a Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 08:53 PM)ambull01 Wrote: I just took a cyber assessment test through my company, not sure how I did though. If I scored well they have a cyber program I could go through since it sounds like there's a huge shortage of qualified cyber people. That would be ideal if I can get in it.

Tell me more about this.  I have questions and comments on the other things that have been posted, but this is the most important part.  What was the assessment like?  Have you talked to anyone about the program and did they share insight?

I selected several areas of interest through my company's website (Booz Allen) and one of them was cybersecurity. They sent an automated email about taking a Cyber Aptitude Assessment. It's used to determine fit for entry-level cyber roles with Booz Allen and eligibility for cyber training opportunities like the Cyber Core Tech Excellence program. I think this is the program: https://www.learningtree.com/bahcybercore/

There were two parts to the assessment. The first part was mainly questions about personality, work ethic, work preference, etc. The second part was a lot of pattern sequence questions. There were blocks of pictures with one of them blank and I had to pick an option that shows the correct sequence. Another part was pictures of fans with codes that turned them on, off, etc. I feel like I did really well on the sequence part, hopefully the personality part too. I haven't spoken to anyone about the program yet, I'm waiting to see how I did first. I'm not sure how those sequence questions can give insight into a candidate's aptitude for cyber other than being able to recognize patterns lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ambull01's post:
  • alab21
WGU offers
B.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance

but if you have zero experience with networking and have done nothing more than dabble with python and sql then you shouldn't do it

instead you should do one of these from WGU
B.S. Cloud Computing
B.S. Network Operations and Security
B.S. Computer Science

> I think (but I'm not positive) that cybersecurity is one of the easier degrees to complete with alternate credits, at least through TESU.

that I would like to see
please post a list of alternate credits that apply to a cybersecurity at TESU
https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs-cybersecurity

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 4 145 Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 160 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 137 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,737 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 197 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,553 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 214 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 437 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cybersecurity BA - Military SwiftHax 23 1,714 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32