Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan UMPI BLS MIS
Good day forum!
After a lot of thinking and a lot of help from several forum's members, I have finally decided to pursue the UMPI BLS MIS degree and started taking Sophia course.
Despite this, I still have some doubt about the degree plan (attached to this post):
·        Since I want to try doing the UMPI courses in 2 terms, I’m thinking about taking the English Composition I and II courses with Sophia. Do you think this is a good idea or should I really take it with UMPI?
·        I wanted to use the ACTFL exams to fulfill the foreign language requirement for GEC and to get some easy elective credits. I can take the Spanish and Italian OPIC exam online with ACTFL from which I can get 24 credits (12LL and 12 UL). Do you think the 24 credits will be accepted or is better not investing that much on this (each exam is worth 108$)?
·        Since I want a more IT oriented degree, I’ve added several IT courses from SDC to the electives that can also give UL credits (these courses are listed in the equivalency table of SDC to UMPI). Do you think they will be accepted and accepted as UL in UMPI?
Thanks in advance for your help and any other comment will be welcome.
Claudio

Attached Files
.xlsx   Umpi BLS MIS Claudio Post.xlsx (Size: 18.95 KB / Downloads: 26)
1. You should definitely do English Comp with UMPI. Since these get you used to the whole UMPI process, you'll probably go through UMPI more quickly than if you took the English Comp courses elsewhere.
2. I'm not sure if UMPI gives full credit for the ACTFL exams. I don't see ACTFL listed in the transfer database, even though Sophia, Saylor, and Study.com are. But we do know that ACTFL has transferred in the past. I just don't remember if it was actually for full credits.
3. If they are listed as being UL in the equivalency table, they should transfer as UL. There are never any guarantees with this kind of thing, but they should work. Do bear in mind that they might not count toward your degree, though, since you'll have minimum requirements to be met by UMPI courses themselves.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-02-2022, 05:10 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 1. You should definitely do English Comp with UMPI. Since these get you used to the whole UMPI process, you'll probably go through UMPI more quickly than if you took the English Comp courses elsewhere.
2. I'm not sure if UMPI gives full credit for the ACTFL exams. I don't see ACTFL listed in the transfer database, even though Sophia, Saylor, and Study.com are. But we do know that ACTFL has transferred in the past. I just don't remember if it was actually for full credits.
3. If they are listed as being UL in the equivalency table, they should transfer as UL. There are never any guarantees with this kind of thing, but they should work. Do bear in mind that they might not count toward your degree, though, since you'll have minimum requirements to be met by UMPI courses themselves.
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply, I believe I should mention that I'm going for the Your Pace degree.

Claudio
(05-02-2022, 04:48 AM)csangaletti Wrote: Good day forum!
After a lot of thinking and a lot of help from several forum's members, I have finally decided to pursue the UMPI BLS MIS degree and started taking Sophia course.
Despite this, I still have some doubt about the degree plan (attached to this post):
·        Since I want to try doing the UMPI courses in 2 terms, I’m thinking about taking the English Composition I and II courses with Sophia. Do you think this is a good idea or should I really take it with UMPI?
·        I wanted to use the ACTFL exams to fulfill the foreign language requirement for GEC and to get some easy elective credits. I can take the Spanish and Italian OPIC exam online with ACTFL from which I can get 24 credits (12LL and 12 UL). Do you think the 24 credits will be accepted or is better not investing that much on this (each exam is worth 108$)?
·        Since I want a more IT oriented degree, I’ve added several IT courses from SDC to the electives that can also give UL credits (these courses are listed in the equivalency table of SDC to UMPI). Do you think they will be accepted and accepted as UL in UMPI?
Claudio

Take Eng Comp at UMPI. Each course is 1 paper at UMPI. On Sophia they are 5-6 and 6-7 papers per class. They take a very long time to complete. You can't move on in the course until your paper is graded on Sophia. I tried Eng Comp 2 on Sophia and after 90 days I still had 2 papers left. The grading was horrible. I dropped it and took it at UMPI. I finished the class in 3 days at UMPI and got an A. I was nowhere near an A on Sophia. 

I have not seen 24 credits for foreign languages on the transfer database. UMPI doesn't offer UL foreign language courses so they would not be listed like SPA301. They would be SPA3XX or as GELXXX which is a general elective. Only 3 credits count towards the GEC. 

The Study courses will appear on your UMPI transcripts. You'll still need to complete UL courses at UMPI. The BLS requires 24 UL courses outside of the minor requirements. You'll also need to meet this requirement: Residency Requirements: 30 credit hours at UMPI -12 must be
in the major (Major includes the minor and upper level electives) and 9 of those 12 must be 300 level or higher
(05-02-2022, 11:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 04:48 AM)csangaletti Wrote: Good day forum!
Claudio

Take Eng Comp at UMPI. Each course is 1 paper at UMPI. On Sophia they are 5-6 and 6-7 papers per class. They take a very long time to complete. You can't move on in the course until your paper is graded on Sophia. I tried Eng Comp 2 on Sophia and after 90 days I still had 2 papers left. The grading was horrible. I dropped it and took it at UMPI. I finished the class in 3 days at UMPI and got an A. I was nowhere near an A on Sophia. 

I have not seen 24 credits for foreign languages on the transfer database. UMPI doesn't offer UL foreign language courses so they would not be listed like SPA301. They would be SPA3XX or as GELXXX which is a general elective. Only 3 credits count towards the GEC. 

The Study courses will appear on your UMPI transcripts. You'll still need to complete UL courses at UMPI. The BLS requires 24 UL courses outside of the minor requirements. You'll also need to meet this requirement: Residency Requirements: 30 credit hours at UMPI -12 must be
in the major (Major includes the minor and upper level electives) and 9 of those 12 must be 300 level or higher
Hi,

Do I understand right that the 24 UL could be a mix of UMPI and external courses ?

Thanks
(05-03-2022, 11:22 AM)csangaletti Wrote: Hi,

Do I understand right that the 24 UL could be a mix of UMPI and external courses ?

Thanks

Yes
Good Day Everyone,
I’ve officially started with the courses on Sophia and I’m really moving forward at a good pace. I’m posting here the final degree plan that I’m following, including the classes already taken marked in green. I would really appreciate if someone could give advise on the overall degree plan and specially in the courses that I have marked with an x in the first colum:
- CSM certificate => anyone know if this will really come in as math electives .
- SDC COS courses => will be approved as UL electives ?
Thanks
Claudio

Attached Files
.pdf   Umpi BLS MIS Claudio.pdf (Size: 193.11 KB / Downloads: 28)
@csangaletti, seems fine. You've got the CSM Learn course in the electives, these can be anything. The SDC courses aren't upper level if you've put a 1XX beside it, I was only able to see the 7 upper level courses for 21 UL credits in that list, compared to the 24 UL credits you see.

Not sure where you see the other UL... otherwise, it's a pretty good spreadsheet. Just that you also have 6 Study.com courses, are you going to take a month or two to complete the courses? It may be easier to take American Government and something else with InstantCertCredit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-22-2022, 11:16 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @csangaletti, seems fine.  You've got the CSM Learn course in the electives, these can be anything.  The SDC courses aren't upper level if you've put a 1XX beside it, I was only able to see the 7 upper level courses for 21 UL credits in that list, compared to the 24 UL credits you see.  

Not sure where you see the other UL... otherwise, it's a pretty good spreadsheet.  Just that you also have 6 Study.com courses, are you going to take a month or two to complete the courses? It may be easier to take American Government and something else with InstantCertCredit.
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Actually the COS courses are listed as UL in the SDC to UMPI equivalency table, it was my error to report them as 1xx because they should be 3xx.
Yes I have 6 courses with SDC and I was planning to use 2 months taking 3 courses per month paying the extension to an other course every month.
I could try American Government on InstanCert and skip one course in SDC but I don’t see much more in there to be added to my list and if you have some idea please let me know.
What about SDC courses duration ? Will it be possible to concentrate 5 or 6 courses in one month not studying full time .

Ciao

Claudio
CSMLearn does not come in as a math course. It doesn't appear on the transfer database nowadays. In the past it transferred in as a 1XX general elective so if you haven't taken it don't bother for UMPI. You still need math courses.

You have to complete the majority of your 24 UL credits at UMPI. The 3 COS courses you've selected are UL at UMPI.

https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,437 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 285 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 171 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 165 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 218 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 367 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 848 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 265 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,450 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87