Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan for Communications?
I'm new to this forum and I've read and learned so much!  Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom!  

I'm a mom of 4 and never went to college... out of high school I did a travel and tourism program and was a travel agent for 7 years but the internet pretty much killed that career.  I've always had a desire to get my bachelors degree but just haven't been able to justify the time away from my family.  My sister has been using study.com and has earned about 60 credits over the past year doing online courses to get her BALS degree and that got my attention!  She has a plan to do it completely online ASAP... through a few different sources.  The study.com online type courses sounds very doable for me too but I'd like to get a degree in something that is more of interest to me and I can use for a future career?  I'm wondering if there is a list of doable online degree options?   I've always thought elementary education but not sure if that's an option online or I've always enjoyed writing... so thinking communications and journalism?  Is that a degree that's doable online? 

I've read through the "Basic Approach - Online Education Guide" and understand much of these steps and things to do... however I'm stuck on building my own degree plan.  Since I have no former college experience I'll admit I'm rather clueless.  I've seen a lot of info for Business and computer science degrees here... and I know I'd like to go through TESU and I've looked at their communications course plan but I really don't know how to match up what online courses would be available to me that would be equal to this?  (I've copied and pasted TESU course plan below)  Also not understanding the Notes 1,2,3 at the bottom?  What do those mean?  

Any and all help would be so welcome!!!  Thanks a ton!

BA in Communications Credit Distribution
Subject Category
CreditsI. General Education Requirements
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills
  • Written Communication
[size=undefined]
(6)[/size]
  • Oral Communication
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Quantitative Literacy
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Information Literacy
[size=undefined]
(3)
B. Civic and Global Learning
9[/size]
  • Diversity
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Ethics
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Civic Engagement
[size=undefined]
(3)
C. Knowledge of Human Cultures
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World
4-7
E. General Education Electives
17-20[/size]
  • TES-100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies
[size=undefined]
(1)
II. Area of Study: Communications
A. Required Courses
9[/size]
  • Communication Theory
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Mass Communications I
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Mass Communications II
[size=undefined]
(3)
B. Capstone
3[/size]
  • LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone
[size=undefined]
(3)
C. Communications Electives*[/size]
  • Broadcast and Cable Promotion
  • Broadcasting in America
  • Cinema Theory
  • Communications in the Digital Age
  • Communication Law
  • Communication Research
  • Debate
  • Film Styles and Genre
  • Interviewing
  • Journalism* *
  • Managerial Communications and Leadership Communications
  • Media in Communication
  • Motion Picture Productions
  • Non-Verbal Communications
  • Oral Interpretation of Literature
  • Public Relations
  • Public Speaking
  • Radio News
  • Radio Production
  • Radio-Television Policies, Laws and Regulations
  • Small Group Communication
  • Survey of Cable Communications
  • Technical Writing
  • Telecommunication Processes and Policy
  • Television News
  • Television Production
  • Theories of Persuasion
  • Video Communication Theory
  • Voice and Diction
  • Voice Production
[size=undefined]
D. Requirements
 [/size]
  • Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State University are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 are required.
  • College Level Math is required.
[size=undefined]

III. Electives
Total
120[/size]

*This list is a guide. Other communications courses may be appropriate for this area of study.
Note 1: Courses in speech needed to prepare students for college-level studies CANNOT be accepted toward Thomas Edison State University degree requirements.
Note 2: Courses in "Speaking English" for foreign students or students with disabilities may be free electives or remedial courses (developmental). Course descriptions will need to be reviewed. If course is remedial (developmental), it CANNOT be accepted toward Thomas Edison State University degree requirements.
Note 3: Degree candidates for the Bachelor of Arts in Communications are advised to take Public Speaking in order to satisfy the General Education Oral Communications requirement.
I have a degree plan for TESU's BA in Communications; the only issue is I no longer know what will count for Communication Theory, nor do I know where you can find Mass Comm II (I have a guess in there).  So I'm guessing on those 2, and for Theory, I just threw in $1000 - you might find a course for less somewhere.

This degree is a bit more expensive than the BALS/BSBA degree there, but honestly, there are tons of ways to make it cheaper. Start with free and go from there; Insurance Ethics, Modern States/CLEP, TEEX, Sophia, NFA, OnlineDegree.com; then go inexpensive via ALEKS, Saylor, LL TECEP exams.  And finally do Study.com/SL courses, using coupons and doing multiple courses in a month to make your per-credit cost cheaper.

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BA in Communications.pdf (Size: 64.35 KB / Downloads: 74)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-14-2018, 12:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a degree plan for TESU's BA in Communications; the only issue is I no longer know what will count for Communication Theory, nor do I know where you can find Mass Comm II (I have a guess in there).  So I'm guessing on those 2, and for Theory, I just threw in $1000 - you might find a course for less somewhere.

This degree is a bit more expensive than the BALS/BSBA degree there, but honestly, there are tons of ways to make it cheaper. Start with free and go from there; Insurance Ethics, Modern States/CLEP, TEEX, Sophia, NFA, OnlineDegree.com; then go inexpensive via ALEKS, Saylor, LL TECEP exams.  And finally do Study.com/SL courses, using coupons and doing multiple courses in a month to make your per-credit cost cheaper.

dfrecore, 
WOW... thank you so much!  You seriously just built the whole plan for me?  What more can I say?  I wish I could make you cookies or something to properly thank you!!  All I know is... you're the best & Karma is REAL!  ;-D

Also thanks for all the advice with the free options!  I hadn't thought to start with Free, study.com is what my sister started with and so that's what I planned to do as well... this way makes a lot of sense.  Thanks!  I was advised that Math with Aleks is one to start with since they have to renew contracts every year and don't guarantee that they will continue doing college credit or something... have you heard of this as well?  I don't see any math or statistics needed on the plan?

Another question?  I've been in contact with TESU and in order to talk to an academic advisor you 1st need to apply for $75 and become a student... but it appears that and according to the "basic approach outline" that it isn't advisable to apply and do this until you are finished?  Correct?  Here's my real question... why?  Is there a reason you don't apply now?  Are there additional yearly fees or something?  Remember, I'm clueless... sorry in advance if there is an obvious answer.

Thanks again!
(09-14-2018, 09:33 PM)Starlightlily Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 12:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a degree plan for TESU's BA in Communications; the only issue is I no longer know what will count for Communication Theory, nor do I know where you can find Mass Comm II (I have a guess in there).  So I'm guessing on those 2, and for Theory, I just threw in $1000 - you might find a course for less somewhere.

dfrecore, 
WOW... thank you so much!  You seriously just built the whole plan for me?  What more can I say?  I wish I could make you cookies or something to properly thank you!!  All I know is... you're the best & Karma is REAL!  ;-D

Also thanks for all the advice with the free options!  I hadn't thought to start with Free, study.com is what my sister started with and so that's what I planned to do as well... this way makes a lot of sense.  Thanks!  I was advised that Math with Aleks is one to start with since they have to renew contracts every year and don't guarantee that they will continue doing college credit or something... have you heard of this as well?  I don't see any math or statistics needed on the plan?

Another question?  I've been in contact with TESU and in order to talk to an academic advisor you 1st need to apply for $75 and become a student... but it appears that and according to the "basic approach outline" that it isn't advisable to apply and do this until you are finished?  Correct?  Here's my real question... why?  Is there a reason you don't apply now?  Are there additional yearly fees or something?  Remember, I'm clueless... sorry in advance if there is an obvious answer.

Thanks again!

Statistics is not needed for the BA in Communications. You need a college math, dfrecore put College Algebra on the plan sheet she made you (ALEKS works well for that, feel free to take more than one math such as statistics - they work in the Gen Eds Electives area).

I would not say wait to apply until you're at the end, but at least 1/2 way (and that is more for locking in a catalog, and that is 'safe' at least until next July which is when they tend to make changes for the academic year - if they make any changes at all).  Applying now keeps you as an active applicant for a year, to become enrolled (locks in catalog) you need to take credits through the school; such as the Cornerstone, Capstone or a TECEP exam - each locks you in for one year from the date.  In example if you know you're going to need at least 3 years for whatever reason(s) to finish - then you could take a TECEP shortly after applying (catalog locked), then in 11 months take the Cornerstone - locked in for another year, then 11 months later take the Capstone (or another TECEP if you need more time) to lock in another year, and so on and so on...
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I think I copied that math from another degree, you can use a much lower-level math than College Algebra or Stats. If I were you, I would either take the College Math CLEP (free through Modern States) or the Applied Liberal Arts Math DSST or TECEP exam.

In the past, it wasn't a must to enroll at TESU right away, but now we advise applying & enrolling, thus locking in your catalog and making yourself grandfathered in for any changes that may come along to the degree. There have been a few things in the past few years that made it better to go ahead and be a student at TESU. And, there is no downside, as EC and COSC have per-term fees, while TESU does not. You have to take a TECEP or course once a year to remain enrolled, and this is where that Applied Math TECEP would come in handy (as would the Computers TECEP which is also very easy).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Really good plan. This is such a helpful site.

Two things:

Whats WTAMU - SP for the Mass Communications I?

Also I didn't think they offered the study.com affiliate discount anymore.
(09-18-2018, 12:28 AM)natshar Wrote: Really good plan. This is such a helpful site.

Two things:

Whats WTAMU - SP for the Mass Communications I?

Also I didn't think they offered the study.com affiliate discount anymore.

WTAMU - West Texas A&M University (There are other options for Mass Communications I but this was recommended)
Study.com discount still exists, cornerstone is a requirement though, and the residency waiver is now $2200.
The tuition however stayed the same at $366/credit hour. It's still a significant discount of at least $700 total.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 681 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 642 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Communications SilentWarrior 6 364 03-19-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Kingaley
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,792 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 576 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 288 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 873 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,248 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM