Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan help - Excelsior IT using Sophia
Hello! Does anyone have a degree plan for Excelsior’s BS IT degree using Sophia? I’m struggling to work out how to get UL credits. Unlike Purdue, Excelsior doesn’t say what the course equivalency is of IT certifications. I’m also unsure if I can use SDC UL credits.
As far as I can see, this isn't one that you can get fully with alternate credits. https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html I see only 7 UL Comp Sci courses. And I'm pretty sure that (ignoring UL/LL requirements) SDC is missing key requirements for the IT degree. It doesn't cost that much more to take 13 credits at EC vs. the 7 minimum but I think you might have to take more than that to get this degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-31-2021, 06:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote: As far as I can see, this isn't one that you can get fully with alternate credits. https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html I see only 7 UL Comp Sci courses. And I'm pretty sure that (ignoring UL/LL requirements) SDC is missing key requirements for the IT degree. It doesn't cost that much more to take 13 credits at EC vs. the 7 minimum but I think you might have to take more than that to get this degree.
OK thanks for your help. Are there alternative universities that might be better? I’m wondering if the University of Maine (Presque Ile) might be better. We can’t do WGU as we live outside the US.
UMPI does not have any sort of technical degree available online. You can do Purdue Global's competency-based IT degree or NAU's IT degree: https://nau.edu/online/bs-computer-infor...nology-pl/ NAU would be roughly the same cost per term as WGU. They also accept ACE courses (mainly StraighterLine): https://alternativecreditproject.nau.edu/ They should be fine with international students.

TESU also has both Computer Science as well as IT. Their IT degree requires either Chem I & Chem II or Physics I & Physics II. IIRC, the easiest way to do this would be to take both chem classes at NMJC but I don't remember if they have issues with international students or not. Are you an American citizen who happens to be outside of the US or are you a citizen of another country?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ajc1980
(03-31-2021, 09:00 AM)ajc1980 Wrote: OK thanks for your help. Are there alternative universities that might be better? I’m wondering if the University of Maine (Presque Ile) might be better. We can’t do WGU as we live outside the US.

I think Purdue Global is a good option - they have a competency-based option for several of their IT degrees.  They also give way more credits for certifications than WGU: my husband took an AWS exam, he got 55qcr (36 semester-based), which is a full 30% of the degree just for that cert.  With his AA that he already has from 25 years ago, and then a few Study.com courses, he can easily finish in 1 term (10 weeks) for $2500.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ajc1980
Link to IT cert transfer credits at Excelsior

That link may be of help but I agree with Dfrecore, PUG may be the better option as an alternative to WGU.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • ajc1980
Rereading you post, Purdue Global takes ACE credit, so you're just as well off with them as any of the Big 3. Their course equivalencies are listed on Study.com, Sophia, SL, Saylor, etc.

And unlike WGU, they have lots of space for Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Purdue Global is very intense in writing papers. If English is not first language i would go somewhere else. TESU would be easier since u have only Capstone & Cornerstone to write.

(03-31-2021, 09:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI does not have any sort of technical degree available online. You can do Purdue Global's competency-based IT degree or NAU's IT degree: https://nau.edu/online/bs-computer-infor...nology-pl/ NAU would be roughly the same cost per term as WGU. They also accept ACE courses (mainly StraighterLine): https://alternativecreditproject.nau.edu/ They should be fine with international students.

TESU also has both Computer Science as well as IT. Their IT degree requires either Chem I & Chem II or Physics I & Physics II. IIRC, the easiest way to do this would be to take both chem classes at NMJC but I don't remember if they have issues with international students or not. Are you an American citizen who happens to be outside of the US or are you a citizen of another country?
As i remember NMJC is not accepting international students

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 17 187 17 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 102 1 hour ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 257 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 557 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower