Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan ideas and help!
If you are thinking of getting the Psych degree from AMU, you probably need to check their policy regarding getting a second degree there - because once you get a degree somewhere else, they may want you to take a lot more than just 2 courses to complete your degree.

If I were you, I would finish up that Psych degree. Life happens (as you know), and putting it off when you only have 2 courses to complete might not be a great idea. They could completely change the program, and then you need 6 or 8 classes to finish. They could stop offering it altogether, and then you're completely out of luck.

I wouldn't take a chance with it.

You can always go back to get another degree later, after you have a job - heck, you may end up somewhere that offers tuition reimbursement and they will pay for it. Or you may make enough money to pay for it yourself (especially if it's one of the Big 3 or a competency-based program that's affordable).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-01-2017, 11:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Well, I have good news for you!  I just skimmed through you info again - You're a perfect candidate for getting an Associates FREE en route to your Bachelors at TESU!  You can get your second BA Psychology at AMU afterward!  

The only uncertainty is, the required courses for the Associates - I'm thinking the ASNSM Comp Science (doesn't have an associates capstone), and the BSAST in Technical Studies (this is the only BSAST degree option that will take in LL college credit in the AOS, the rest have UL requirements).

The main thing you have to do is apply to TESU and get an evaluation for both degrees, I think you have enough AOS for the BSAST already, you may just require general education credits to complete the requirements.

I'm definitely going to check that out, you are awesome! How does it work getting an Associate's enroute to a Bachelor's with TESU? Once they do the evaluation for the degree plans and I register for the program, do they award the AS right away, or do they award the AS and BS simultaneously?
(10-01-2017, 11:44 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 08:51 AM)DNW0312 Wrote: Thank you all for the input and for the kind words on my JST! I am going to complete the last two courses with AMU for my BA in Psychology, just not quite yet.  The biggest thing is that I utilized tuition assistance for the degree so once it is complete, I won't be able to get secondary Bachelor's degree unless I pay out of pocket for it, if I complete the Psychology degree first. I don't plan on getting my Masters in Psychology.

For the secondary Associates, I would have to pay out of pocket for the capstone but I wouldn't mind doing that if there is a degree plan that my current credits could fit into where I only have to take one or two classes. I figure it I have all of these random credits, might as well attempt to maximize the degrees at the Associates and Bachelors levels.  

Does anyone have any feedback on the MAOL through Brandman University? That seems like a possible long term goal utilizing the credits they award for military senior enlisted and officers.

If you find out anything on the MAOL through Brandman University in only 7 courses please share?  Looks neat?

There was a thread on this last year: http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...t=brandman
Here's their site for military: https://www.brandman.edu/military
Here's the MAOL program: https://www.brandman.edu/business-profes...leadership

I think it's great for a Masters degree, Brandman/Chapman is a good university in California (ranked 4th in 2017)
They were listed in the top 25 online universities along with Patten last year, but this year, Patten dropped off the top 25
http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/bes...alifornia/

Oh, here's another top 25 California 2017 ranking and both Brandman/Patten are on the list
https://www.collegechoice.net/rankings/b...alifornia/

(10-01-2017, 12:06 PM)DNW0312 Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 11:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Well, I have good news for you!  I just skimmed through you info again - You're a perfect candidate for getting an Associates FREE en route to your Bachelors at TESU!  You can get your second BA Psychology at AMU afterward!  

The only uncertainty is, the required courses for the Associates - I'm thinking the ASNSM Comp Science (doesn't have an associates capstone), and the BSAST in Technical Studies (this is the only BSAST degree option that will take in LL college credit in the AOS, the rest have UL requirements).

The main thing you have to do is apply to TESU and get an evaluation for both degrees, I think you have enough AOS for the BSAST already, you may just require general education credits to complete the requirements.

I'm definitely going to check that out, you are awesome! How does it work getting an Associate's enroute to a Bachelor's with TESU? Once they do the evaluation for the degree plans and I register for the program, do they award the AS right away, or do they award the AS and BS simultaneously?

You need to have all requirements done for the ASNSM, I would move the courses into the general education/free elective section of the BSAST.  To save on a graduation fee of $332, I would get the ASNSM and BSAST at the same time, if you get one before the other, you pay two graduation fees.

To elaborate, ASNSM requires 16 credits CS Electives: http://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/Computer-Science.cfm
BSAST Tech Studies requires 15 credits FREE electives: http://www.tesu.edu/ast/bsast/Technical-Studies.cfm
If you use the same courses for BOTH, you get the ASNSM free of charge - no other requirement is needed!

(10-01-2017, 12:05 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are thinking of getting the Psych degree from AMU, you probably need to check their policy regarding getting a second degree there - because once you get a degree somewhere else, they may want you to take a lot more than just 2 courses to complete your degree.

If I were you, I would finish up that Psych degree.  Life happens (as you know), and putting it off when you only have 2 courses to complete might not be a great idea.  They could completely change the program, and then you need 6 or 8 classes to finish.  They could stop offering it altogether, and then you're completely out of luck.

I wouldn't take a chance with it.

You can always go back to get another degree later, after you have a job - heck, you may end up somewhere that offers tuition reimbursement and they will pay for it.  Or you may make enough money to pay for it yourself (especially if it's one of the Big 3 or a competency-based program that's affordable).

This is awesome advice, some schools have different requirements of getting a second bachelor degree.  You want to verify with APU/AMU just to be on the safe side, that you can graduate with them say 1 year down the road with just taking two courses.  If they change the regulations, it'll be costly.  An alternative is to finish your BA Psych first and then transfer to TESU for the second degree, they just require 24 credits in the AOS (and, if any, prerequisites done).  Decisions, Decisions...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,673 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,867 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,777 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,004 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,324 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,683 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero