Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan, preferably business or accounting?
Your Location: TX, USA

Your Age: 25

What kind of degree do you want?: Business or Accounting, but really any degree I can get the fastest.
Budget: I'm broke but I'm willing to take loans or just get a new job

Commitments: I'm a homebody, so I can really take all the time I want.

Dedicated time to study: See above

Timeline: As soon as possible, a year or two would be ideal.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I'm pretty sure I have some pell grants left, but I'm unsure if that would apply to any of this since I don't think it covers tests?

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 95: 92 from community college, 3 from CLEP

ARTS-1304 20012 Art History II (14 Cent - Pr) 3.00
ARTS-1312 31010 Design II (3-dimensional) 3
ARTS-1317 40024 Drawing II 3.00
GEOL-1403 21384 Physical Geology (Lec/Lab) 4.00
GOVT-2306 86000 Texas Government 3.00
HIST-1302 86702 United States History II 3.00
PHYS-1415 21488 Physical Science I (Lec/Lab) 4.00
MATH-1314 Funct Approach to Coll Algebra 3.00 (CLEP)
ARTS-1301 86039 Art Appreciation 3.00
GOVT-2305 86089 Fed Govrnmnt (Fed Cons & Top) 3.00
BUSG-2309 86002 Small Business Manage/Entrep 3.00
BMGT-1305 86009 Communications in Management 3.00
BUSG-2300 86001 Business Leadership Applications (Capstone) 3.00
BUSG-1315 86008 Small Business Operations 3.00
BUSG-1341 86004 Small Business Financing 3.00
ENGL-1302 21090 Composition II 3.00
MRKG-1311 86006 Principles of Marketing 3.00
PHIL-2306 21515 Introduction to Ethics 3.00
ACCT-2302 86029 Principles of Managerial Acct 3.00
FSHN-2305 20305 Fashion Retailing 3.00
FSHN-2309 20071 Fashion Image 3.00
SPCH-1321 20289 Business and Professional Communications 3.00
BMGT-1341 86026 Business Ethics 3.00
BUSI-1301 86038 Business Principles 3.00
BCIS-1305 86043 Business Computer Applications 3.00
BMGT-1327 86003 Principles of Management 3.00
ACCT-2301 86015 Principles of Financial Acct 3.00
ENGL-1301 20062 English Composition I 3.00
LGLA-1303 20655 Legal Research 3.00
LGLA-1307 20650 Intro to Law & Legal Prof 3.00
PSYC-2315 20620 Psychology of Adjustment 3.00

Any certifications or military experience?
Income tax course certificate (H&R Block ICTC)

Sorry if I did this wrong, and I might have a couple extra credits give or take, but these are at least all I took to get my Business associates. Otherwise, Just a lot of random art classes. I've always been pretty good at math and accountants seem to enjoy themselves, so I want to be an accountant especially if it's a field that has a lot of remote work oppurtunities. If you need any more information let me know and I will update the OP
Since you are in Texas, how about TAMUC? https://www.tamuc.edu/programs/organizat...baas-orgl/
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
If you don't want TAMUC, UMPI is another option. UMPI costs about twice as much as TAMUC, but that's probably not an issue if you have Pell Grants left. UMPI has both Accounting and Business degrees. At a quick glance, I think you would only need Human Biology (without lab) and Spanish I from Sophia before enrolling at UMPI. This would be $99 out of pocket.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If your goal is to go into accounting I would recommend the UMPI route over the TAMUC.  The TAMUC is a great program for those who want a general business (organizational leadership) related degree, but since you're looking at a specific profession the UMPI BABA-Accounting or BA-Accounting would be better long term investment - as they provide you with 'Accounting' right in the degree for your resume. I would see where your existing credits fit best before deciding which of the two; if they apply equally then choose based on which courses interests you more, or which can get through quicker. Yes, UMPI costs more per term but both are so very affordable that with PELL grants in the mix you may not see any out of pocket difference at all (potentially both could be covered 100% by PELL)

Edit: If you do go UMPI route, be sure to take rachel83az's advice and pay the for month ($99*) at Sophia to get the Spanish and Biology w/lab (if you don't have a lab science). The Biology at UMPI is a reported nightmare, and you need a foreign language anyway. Sophia is definitely the easiest and most affordable way to get those two things done, plus most any other (LL) courses you might find yourself missing (outside the 10 'required' courses at UMPI)

*coupon codes are sometimes available to lower the rate even more.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

WGU could be another good option. They have a good accounting degree. And since you have an associates and based your classes you should have all the gen eds done.

Also OP has Geology with Lab. So why would they need a lab sci for UMPI?
UMPI requires BOTH a physical science class and a biological science class. At least one of them needs to have a lab. Geology and its lab covers the physical science requirement, but biology is still needed. Human Biology from Sophia is the fastest/cheapest/easiest way to meet this requirement.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-26-2023, 12:55 PM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI requires BOTH a physical science class and a biological science class. At least one of them needs to have a lab. Geology and its lab covers the physical science requirement, but biology is still needed. Human Biology from Sophia is the fastest/cheapest/easiest way to meet this requirement.

I had missed that the OP already had a lab science. So they just the Bio (no lab) version and the Spanish from Sophia for UMPI.  I'm not sure if they could use any other credits Sophia offers to fill other requirements (as I didn't chart it out based on what they already have - however, they do have a great deal of Ged Eds covered)
Amberton University

OP, Basically... I cleaned up your initial post (tiny fonts), you have done the template and last post addendum, but the info isn't as detailed as I would have recommended, the more details the better, such as your study habits/style, are you into classes or exams, etc... You should apply to both TAMUC and UMPI to see which degree suits you most - BAAS or the BLS.  Have you checked with TAMUC or UMPI to see if they have a competency based concentration you're interested in? 

If you're in Texas, I suggest applying to them and for the remaining requirements, take it at TAMUC. Try and complete the required 30+ credits in 3-4 sessions, each session is just $750 at the moment until they decide to make changes.  You have several competency based concentrations to select from, if you finish in 4 sessions, that's just 3K.  I would go for them before UMPI as it's an instate program, apply to both: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ogram-List
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-26-2023, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP, Basically... I cleaned up your initial post (tiny fonts), you have done the template and last post addendum, but the info isn't as detailed as I would have recommended, the more details the better, such as your study habits/style, are you into classes or exams, etc... You should apply to both TAMUC and UMPI to see which degree suits you most - BAAS or the BLS.  Have you checked with TAMUC or UMPI to see if they have a competency based concentration you're interested in? 

If you're in Texas, I suggest applying to them and for the remaining requirements, take it at TAMUC. Try and complete the required 30+ credits in 3-4 sessions, each session is just $750 at the moment until they decide to make changes.  You have several competency based concentrations to select from, if you finish in 4 sessions, that's just 3K.  I would go for them before UMPI as it's an instate program, apply to both: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ogram-List

Thanks everyone for being nice! People are usually really mean to me in academic groups, so I was worried because I'm really going into this kind of blind. I guess I assumed it was mostly test based, but programs like this should be good, too.

Basically, I'm not the best student, but I do really well in math, hence accounting. I'm also very good at tests, but awful in class, but that's mostly because of how drawn out classes are. I think I could keep focus better in any accelerated program. Also, I am really bad at biology and chemistry, so I'd like some advice on how to tackle that if it will be required.

Some of you mentioned that I could still get financial aid. Is that true? I guess these places are still accredited schools even if they have accelerated programs. Not that I thought they weren't! But it's better to assume the worst so that you can plan for it, right? But if this is true that I could still use my remaining pell grants, this is very good news!

I will do more research on these schools, but while I do that, I would like some advice on that science credit.
You won't need chemistry, but if you go UMPI route Biology (no lab version, as you have a lab science already) and Spanish (to cover the foreign language requirement) - the easiest and cheapest way to get those covered is through Sophia. It is a very user friendly platform.  And both TAMUC and UMPI option should work without issue for financial aid. The Sophia would be out of pocket, but that is $99 for a month (which I'm confident would be all you need for the two previously mentioned courses)
Amberton University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 17 188 38 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 103 1 hour ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 257 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 557 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower