Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree planning resources?
I'm sure this has been asked before, but there is such a wealth of information on this website that I'm having a bit of trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for that isn't out of date when I search.

I'm late 30s, basically starting out with no credits, trying to figure out the cheapest online way with testing out etc to get a Bachelor's in History to try to break into teaching in Massachusetts so I can be on the same work schedule as my wife.

Is there an updated place I can make a degree plan and just jump right into this?  Any help is appreciated, and I apologise if I missed something easy that already answers this.

Here is the link to the forum's wiki page(s): https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I just completed a BA in History through TESU earlier this year. If I can help you in any way, let me know. I was 39 when I started it so pretty similar circumstances
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Thanks jsh! I'm basically looking to find or make a list of the tests etc that I need to take to from start to finish.

I looked at the wiki that allvia linked, and all the History links are dead except for one with Army classes included, which isn't an option for me.

I don't mind taking classes if necessary but I'd like to test out as much as possible. It seems both TESU and Excelsior have History majors. Anyone know which one is faster/cheaper if starting at zero like I am?

Thanks!
-Torin
If you want to test out as much as possible, I would start with Cleps, if Clep sites are convenient to your location. Once you've done all your core classes there, I would go to Study.com and do whatever else you can do with them. Then you'll need to do some UL history courses either with DSST or Uexcel. After that, you are going to be lacking a few, for me it was the Capstone, Historical Methods, and non-Western History. I took all three of those with TESU. Some people try to shop around and get cheaper course rates at other schools but I didn't think it was enough of a difference to worry about, tbh.

As far as which is faster/easier between TESU and Excelsior, I couldn't say for sure but my experience comparing TESU to COSC was that TESU is much more easy going about how your credits come in, and they take things like computer courses as "natural science" which lets you get out of doing Biology or Chem labs and stuff like that. I assume that TESU is easier going than Excelsior is but I have limited experience with Excelsior so I wouldn't swear to it. My advice would be to apply to TESU, see what their degree requirements are, and start plugging away at the core courses first. That way if you change majors you won't lose anything.

The courses you're required to take vary by college so you really have to settle on one before you get the list going, but like with TESU you have to have English Comp 1&2, a math, a speech class, an ethics class, a government class, a sociology class, a psych class, a history class and a lab class in your core. You can Clep almost all of that or you can do it with Study.com (I prefer Study.com).

Then after that, you can get into the specific degree requirements, but at TESU you need 4 UL History courses, a non-western one, Historical Methods, the Capstone, and then some LL ones that aren't hard to find like American History 1 & 2 and Western Civ 1 & 2. Then throw on some electives and you're done.

So if I were you I would apply for federal aid, I would apply to TESU, I would get going on those Cleps (most are easy) and I would start checking out Study.com. Of course, your mileage may vary but that worked for me.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/w/index...in_History

I'm a History major at TESU (will finish my Capstone in 2.5 months), and I'm happy to help anyway I can.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
If the end goal is teaching you might want to consider WGU or look into them. The problem is they don't have any history teaching degrees. But if you want to teach elementary or another subject this route could be quicker and cheaper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,183 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 953 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader