Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree planning
Setta Wrote:Unfortunately I will be paying for everything out of pocket. I hate to word my question this way but would my least expensive option be to earn a Bachelors in Business Administration from TESC? I can find which exams TESC accept for credit but I can't find the cheaper alternatives that are acceptable, ie straightline, saylor, UExcel, etc. I know I can get this information through a counselor and I plan on buying the bullet and making an international call tonight but I would appreciate the advice of others that have gone down this path in regards to the options of (2.) below. All the sites; straightline and saylor make it seem like I could practically earn my whole degree through them but I figure there must be some reason that everybody doesn't do it that way.

I am out of the country and have been so for 4 years. I no longer have a address in the states and I am currently going through a identity theft investigation( I was the victim, not the thief). I don't think I could get help via loan or grant. What I have so far is;
1. Gather my ap scores and college course credits I have. (Should count for 5-6 classes)
2. Take classes via straightline, saylor, and math through aleks. (Teex, Kaplan pla, and nfa I've never heard of sanantone, I will have to look those up.)
3. Take cleps, dantes and other applicable exams.
4 Finish upper level with the TECES(?) exams.

TESC will require your community college transcripts regardless. They want transcripts from every college attended. Can you not order them online or over the phone? Most schools have a way for you to order transcripts online.

Is it that you can't afford to spend more than $4,000, or are you looking for the absolute cheapest option? The BSBA at TESC under the Per Credit Tuition Plan is the only degree at any of the Big 3 that will get you around $3,000 before factoring in your AP and CC credits. After you factor those in, the BSBA at TESC might be closer to $2,000-2,500. KittenMittens already linked to the thread that shows you how to test out of the BSBA cheaply.

Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BSBA General Management - Degree Forum Wiki
Free Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:TESC will require your community college transcripts regardless. They want transcripts from every college attended. Can you not order them online or over the phone? Most schools have a way for you to order transcripts online.

Is it that you can't afford to spend more than $4,000, or are you looking for the absolute cheapest option? The BSBA at TESC under the Per Credit Tuition Plan is the only degree at any of the Big 3 that will get you around $3,000 before factoring in your AP and CC credits. After you factor those in, the BSBA at TESC might be closer to $2,000-2,500. KittenMittens already linked to the thread that shows you how to test out of the BSBA cheaply.

Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BSBA General Management - Degree Forum Wiki
Free Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki

Honestly I will be paying for every test out of pocket, so it will be me running off to the nearest testing center every time I have a few hundred dollars left over from my paycheck. Money is tight because I take care of my elderly mother.

I just got off the phone with TESC and they told me that they wouldn't be able to accept my ap credits. So I guess I will just go with the BSBA. I took the psych AP test in high school and thought it was interesting so I wanted to get a psych degree. Also math isn't my strongest suit so I was hoping to avoid statistics and accounting but cost trumps personal preference. Thank you for your guide and advice everyone. Honestly TESCs customer service wasn't the best, I felt they wanted to get me off the phone quickly and I feel I received more help and advice from the people on this forum. But with the advice/guides I got here I feel better about this and I think I can do it.
Setta Wrote:Honestly I will be paying for every test out of pocket, so it will be me running off to the nearest testing center every time I have a few hundred dollars left over from my paycheck. Money is tight because I take care of my elderly mother.

I just got off the phone with TESC and they told me that they wouldn't be able to accept my ap credits. So I guess I will just go with the BSBA. I took the psych AP test in high school and thought it was interesting so I wanted to get a psych degree. Also math isn't my strongest suit so I was hoping to avoid statistics and accounting but cost trumps personal preference. Thank you for your guide and advice everyone. Honestly TESCs customer service wasn't the best, I felt they wanted to get me off the phone quickly and I feel I received more help and advice from the people on this forum. But with the advice/guides I got here I feel better about this and I think I can do it.

I'd look into COSC's B.S. in Business Administration. Has the least number of math requirements (Just take ALEKS Statistics should cost you about $20), whereas TESC would have college algebra as well.

You'll have to figure out whether you want to COSC B.S. Business Admin for ~$5,500 or TESC for 8 TECEP exams for ~$2,900 (full price that is). Each has its pros/cons like said before.

If you're interested in the COSC B.S. in Business Admin plan at least, I detail several UExcel Psychology exams you can take for upper level credit as well as approximate costs for the degree starting from scratch. Just check the link in my sig.

Accounting is a pain in the ass, but it's necessary and useful in the long run. A lot of people dislike statistics, but it's a very useful skill to pickup (one of the few skills/tools useful in life imo).

If you have trouble with it check out https://www.udacity.com/course/st101 which is the best intro to statistics I've seen. It's free, interesting, and easy to go through and only is about 40 or so hours to complete. You don't need to do it as ALEKS Statistics (only $20 for 3 credit hours!) is self-sufficient, but I only reocmmend that Udacity course if you want to supplement your learning.
Setta Wrote:Honestly I will be paying for every test out of pocket, so it will be me running off to the nearest testing center every time I have a few hundred dollars left over from my paycheck. Money is tight because I take care of my elderly mother.

You would have had to take statistics for the psych degree.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
KittenMittens Wrote:I'd look into COSC's B.S. in Business Administration. Has the least number of math requirements (Just take ALEKS Statistics should cost you about $20), whereas TESC would have college algebra as well.

You'll have to figure out whether you want to COSC B.S. Business Admin for ~$5,500 or TESC for 8 TECEP exams for ~$2,900 (full price that is). Each has its pros/cons like said before.

If you're interested in the COSC B.S. in Business Admin plan at least, I detail several UExcel Psychology exams you can take for upper level credit as well as approximate costs for the degree starting from scratch. Just check the link in my sig.

If the OP were to spend that much at COSC, then the OP might as well go for the psych degree for less. It requires a lower-level math than college algebra and wouldn't require any accounting, economics, or finance courses.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I guess that and all the banking, finance, and numbers related classes are intimidating me. I don't know what they entail but I'm guessing maths? I gotta 800 on verbal for SATs but only a 600 for math( that was with studying my butt off for months). Just me being a wimp I guess :/
Kitten, honestly based on how easy-to-follow you made your guide I would love to go for the cosc degree but I just don't have the financial resources to do that. With your degree I could literally just use it as a step by step manual and get my degree. I know the big 3 criteria for most people are; Cost, expedience, and level of ease (that's my personal order for priority). So I guess the BSBA from tesc being the cheapest trumps my wants.
Setta Wrote:I guess that and all the banking, finance, and numbers related classes are intimidating me. I don't know what they entail but I'm guessing maths? I gotta 800 on verbal for SATs but only a 600 for math( that was with studying my butt off for months). Just me being a wimp I guess :/

You would still have to take accounting, finance, and economics at COSC for their business administration program. You could avoid those and spend less for the psych degree. In my opinion, your best choices are the BA in Psych at TESC for probably less than $5,000 where you'll avoid all of those business courses or the BSBA in General Management at TESC for around $3,000 being the cheapest option available. You could also go for a liberal arts or liberal studies degree at one of the Big 3 giving you more flexibility, but you'll still spend significantly more than $3,000.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Setta Wrote:I guess that and all the banking, finance, and numbers related classes are intimidating me. I don't know what they entail but I'm guessing maths? I gotta 800 on verbal for SATs but only a 600 for math( that was with studying my butt off for months). Just me being a wimp I guess :/

800/800 on verbal? and 600/800 on math? So you got a 1400 (old or new scale)? That's still very impressive either way.

Well, in my plan, I avoid banking, finance, and numbers more or less - I only stick with the easiest classes/exams I could find - i.e. qualitative subjects like human resource management, etc. I chose PF Financial Management because it's a joke course (instant/easy A), etc.

So you have 3 options as far as I can tell:

TESC TECEP B.S. in Business Admin ~$2,900 , TESC TECEP B.A. in Psych ~4,000, COSC B.S. in Business Admin (~$5,500)

Figure out which one best suits your needs, from a price:utility standpoint, and will be the most straightforward for you to complete, etc.
Setta Wrote:Kitten, honestly based on how easy-to-follow you made your guide I would love to go for the cosc degree but I just don't have the financial resources to do that. With your degree I could literally just use it as a step by step manual and get my degree. I know the big 3 criteria for most people are; Cost, expedience, and level of ease (that's my personal order for priority). So I guess the BSBA from tesc being the cheapest trumps my wants.

With that said, I'd probably push you towards doing the TESC BA in Psychology degree then. No accounting in it, though the only course that could be tricky for you is UExcel Research Methods.

There are pros/cons of the TESC Business Admin versus Psych degrees. On one hand the business admin degree is about a grand cheaper, and has a lot of feedback from students who have done it. It is a tried and trued method. The Psych degree plays more to your strengths, has no accounting, and may interest you more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,672 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,867 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,776 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,003 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,324 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,682 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero