Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree planning
KittenMittens Wrote:800/800 on verbal? and 600/800 on math? So you got a 1400 (old or new scale)? That's still very impressive either way.

Well, in my plan, I avoid banking, finance, and numbers more or less - I only stick with the easiest classes/exams I could find - i.e. qualitative subjects like human resource management, etc. I chose PF Financial Management because it's a joke course (instant/easy A), etc.

So you have 3 options as far as I can tell:

TESC TECEP B.S. in Business Admin ~$2,900 , TESC TECEP B.A. in Psych ~4,000, COSC B.S. in Business Admin (~$5,500)

Figure out which one best suits your needs, from a price:utility standpoint, and will be the most straightforward for you to complete, etc.

Old scale, out of 1600. It wasn't a bad score and I managed to pass all 3 AP exams that I took. I believe myself to be a fairly intelligent/studious person. Just never had the means to go to university properly. Don't want to air out all my personal issues here but I'm just getting a degree because my mother wants to see me get one before something happens, she isn't in great condition as far as health goes. I dont have much financial wiggle room but I just wanted to do something to make my mom happy. So I guess it's decided; TESC BSBA it is. Thanks everyone, I would never have dreamed this possible without this forum. I guess only thing left is to get started! I will definitely try to contribute as much as I can and give updates on my journey.
Setta Wrote:Old scale, out of 1600. It wasn't a bad score and I managed to pass all 3 AP exams that I took. I believe myself to be a fairly intelligent/studious person. Just never had the means to go to university properly. Don't want to air out all my personal issues here but I'm just getting a degree because my mother wants to see me get one before something happens, she isn't in great condition as far as health goes. I dont have much financial wiggle room but I just wanted to do something to make my mom happy. So I guess it's decided; TESC BSBA it is. Thanks everyone, I would never have dreamed this possible without this forum. I guess only thing left is to get started! I will definitely try to contribute as much as I can and give updates on my journey.

I'm not sure if you're willing to take out loans, but if your income is low enough, you'll qualify for Pell, and Subsidized and/or unsubsidized government loans. What al ot ofp eople here do is they enroll full time (12 credits) at some college taking some easy coursework, get the loan money, and use it towards their TESC degree. In other words, you could be doing school work and it may just be free for you too.

You could find a community college for instance where you can take 4 courses online with good/easy instructors (i.e. financial and managerial accounting), and use that remaining money to get the degree sooner.

Honestly, you should have no limitations getting your degree in a short period of time. Read my guide for some tips and advice in general - a lot of the courses I recommend can overlap with TESC, 123collegedegree.com, bain4weeks.com, free-clep-prep.com, and read through the exam discussions (which requires a membership) and you should be able to speed through it all pretty quickly.
KittenMittens Wrote:I'm not sure if you're willing to take out loans, but if your income is low enough, you'll qualify for Pell, and Subsidized and/or unsubsidized government loans. What al ot ofp eople here do is they enroll full time (12 credits) at some college taking some easy coursework, get the loan money, and use it towards their TESC degree.

You could find a community college for instance where you can take 4 courses online with good/easy instructors (i.e. financial and managerial accounting), and use that remaining money to get the degree sooner.

I've been out of the country for the last 4 years (Americas crap health care was too much) and awhile back I received notification that a few loans were taken out in my name, which shouldn't be possible since I'm overseas. So I'm currently in the process of taking care of an identity theft investigation. Which would put my credit rating as "inaccessible" which I believe would disqualify me from getting a loan. As far as a grant goes can I apply for that without having a U.S. address? And I've been out of the country for awhile so I only have tax records here. I'm still overseas btw.
Setta Wrote:I've been out of the country for the last 4 years (Americas crap health care was too much) and awhile back I received notification that a few loans were taken out in my name, which shouldn't be possible since I'm overseas. So I'm currently in the process of taking care of an identity theft investigation. Which would put my credit rating as "inaccessible" which I believe would disqualify me from getting a loan. As far as a grant goes can I apply for that without having a U.S. address? And I've been out of the country for awhile so I only have tax records here. I'm still overseas btw.

The federal government doesn't check for credit worthiness for the Stafford loans. I'm not an expert in being overseas and receiving financial aid. Maybe you can call COSC and see if they will be able to answer your questions. They do consortium agreements where you can use your financial aid for their courses and another college's courses. I believe Rebel100 did this with COSC and CSU Pueblo. That way, you will have financial aid for COSC's cornerstone and capstone, and you'll be able to use the rest at cheaper colleges. But, receiving financial aid directly at some cheap college and using the excess refund money to pay for the tuition and fees at the Big 3 also works. I attended a community college and used the refund check to pay for TESC's fees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Setta Wrote:I've been out of the country for the last 4 years (Americas crap health care was too much) and awhile back I received notification that a few loans were taken out in my name, which shouldn't be possible since I'm overseas. So I'm currently in the process of taking care of an identity theft investigation. Which would put my credit rating as "inaccessible" which I believe would disqualify me from getting a loan. As far as a grant goes can I apply for that without having a U.S. address? And I've been out of the country for awhile so I only have tax records here. I'm still overseas btw.

That's a good question. Credit score doesn't affect your eligibility for federal loans. Only if you're a convicted felon or drug offender, etc. You'll still get grant money which would likely cover the cost of a semester of community college (something like up to $2,500/semester). Check out https://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/estimate

It doesn't matter where you live, even if overseas, so long as you are a US Citizen/permanent resident of the U.S.

The only case where it could be problematic is if someone took out federal student loans in your name, but if not then you're fine.

Just file a FAFSA through fafsa.gov - https://fafsa.ed.gov/ and find a decent/cheap community college that you may be interested in. Look at course schedules, and see who's teaching the courses, and then go on ratemyprofessors.com to see what people have to say about an instructor. In my case, I took financial accounting and managerial accounting through a community college, and my instructor was super easy. You'll have to figure this out on your own though.

Example: You go to some community college (I think Texas is a good place since their tuition rates tend to be pretty competitive), total costs for being full time are $2,400 (hypothetically). Your grant money could cover the entire amount, and then you could get like $4,750 for the semester since you'd be an independent student (see: https://finaid.wisc.edu/213.htm )
sanantone Wrote:The federal government doesn't check for credit worthiness for the Stafford loans. I'm not an expert in being overseas and receiving financial aid. Maybe you can call COSC and see if they will be able to answer your questions. They do consortium agreements where you can use your financial aid for their courses and another college's courses. I believe Rebel100 did this with COSC and CSU Pueblo. That way, you will have financial aid for COSC's cornerstone and capstone, and you'll be able to use the rest at cheaper colleges. But, receiving financial aid directly at some cheap college and using the excess refund money to pay for the tuition and fees at the Big 3 also works. I attended a community college and used the refund check to pay for TESC's fees.

I don't even have a US bank account anymore nor can I open one because of the investigation. But I will call...right now actually. Would there be any benefits for the consortium thing? Couldn't I just pay for one of the big 3 with the Stafford loan?

I'm still not in the states, so if I can't go to a community college is it still okay? Or can I find a community college with distance learning?
Setta Wrote:I don't even have a US bank account anymore nor can I open one because of the investigation. But I will call...right now actually. Would there be any benefits for the consortium thing? Couldn't I just pay for one of the big 3 with the Stafford loan?

I'm still not in the states, so if I can't go to a community college is it still okay? Or can I find a community college with distance learning?

Online Community College | The Best Two-Year Online Programs

You'll have to do your homework and look through a lot of CCs. Most CCs offer their courses online these days - so look for ones that are going to be cheap (total cost under $2,500/semester i.e. tuition, fees, etc.) and where you can knockout any courses you find difficult (i.e. accounting). Don't bother taking the cheap courses through CC unless you just need to get to 12 credits i.e. ALEKS Statistics which is $20 as you're better off taking a course with an instructor that you may have some difficulty in.
Setta Wrote:I don't even have a US bank account anymore nor can I open one because of the investigation. But I will call...right now actually. Would there be any benefits for the consortium thing? Couldn't I just pay for one of the big 3 with the Stafford loan?

As someone who will be out of state and out of district at any U.S. college, the New Mexico community colleges will probably be the cheapest options. New Mexico Junior College and Clovis Community College are the ones most often mentioned for distance learning. You don't need a bank account to receive financial aid. The Pell Grant award is currently $5,775. If you qualify for that, it would be enough to cover a year at one of the New Mexico Junior Colleges and leave you with a couple of thousand to spend at the Big 3.

The Big 3 are not the best places to use financial aid because you'll end up needing a significant amount of loans you'll have to pay back. The government requires you to take at least 24 credits per year in order to receive the full financial aid award putting you way over the $5,775 max for the Pell Grant at one of the Big 3. If you only attend school for one semester, then cut the max award in half. You'll have to take 12 credits per semester (or 6 months at schools on a non-traditional schedule) for the full one-semester award.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

You don't need a US Bank account. Your social security number, ID, DL, passport, etc are all proof of US Citizenship.

You could also just take 12 credits worth of courses through TESC and get financial aid that way, but they're pricey at $491/credit * 12 = $5,892 - something ilke $2,900 in grant money = $3,000 loan balance

Btw, use https://www.aidcalc.com/ to figure out how much grant and loan money you'd get.
I'm looking at fafsa now and required documents include most recent federal income tax returns, w-2s and bank statements

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,619 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,941 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero