Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DegreeForums Wiki
There's so much useful information in this forum, but its buried and takes a huge amount of time to unearth and a lot of the same questions get asked. What about creating a wiki for members to add to/edit to build a repository of collective wisdom/experience for each other to use? It could hold statements about policies, example degree plans, definitions, things to watch for, etc. It could/should be publicly viewable but only editable by forum members. It should be part of the IC/DF family and linked to/from the forum. Something like wiki.degreeforum.net

It would not replace the forum. Discussion should remain here. The wiki could hold "authoritative" answers -- as "authoritative" as anything here could get... Rolleyes

I understand the desire to keep specific test study guide compilations off the wiki since that is a revenue stream, but everything else in the forum should be organizable over time.

Thoughts?
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I second the motion.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
That is a great idea!
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
Given how hard it is to now search for specific information in this new design, I think this is a good idea. Although, all things being equal, I would rather have the old forum design back!!! Hint hint!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Marianne,
I agree with you totally!!!!! However, you are indulging in wishful thinking - the old forum was great, but it was a dinosaur with regards to current programming trends. As my momma used to say, "Wishin ain't gittin."
I'm afraid, it ain't comin' back.
So, thoughts on how a wiki would be organized? What major categories, subcategories, etc?

My initial thoughts:
  • Concept overview and How It Works
  • College Accreditation (RA, NA, DETC, and maybe touch on grad-level issues like AACSP etc -- basically a guide to choosing the right accreditation for your career path)
  • General Academic Policies
    • General info on transfers (e.g. no credit laundering)
    • ACE recommendations are not requirements
    • Things to avoid, or things that simply aren't possible / will cause you lots of problems
  • The Big 3
    • Thomas Edison
      • TESC-specific policies
      • Actual TESC degree plans
    • Excelsior
      • EC-specific policies
      • Actual EC degree plans
    • Charter Oak
      • COSC-specific policies
      • Actual COSC degree plans
  • The "Lesser Schools" (in terms of flexibility / credits accepted)
    • AMU/APU
    • etc
  • Sources of Credit
    • ALEKS
    • Straighterline
    • FEMA
    • Community Colleges

This is only an initial WAG at a list of topics and I'm sure barely scratches the surface. But I'd like to get the momentum going on this idea so we can have it all mapped out to make it easier to convince the boss-man to do it. :reddevil:

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

That is good dcan, but you left out testing CLEP, DSST/Dantes, ECE, TECEP etc. What subjects they cover where to take them and NCsandra's great equivalents paper. I also think we would have to have some discussion about the differences between, Science, Arts and business degrees.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
dcan Wrote:There's so much useful information in this forum, but its buried and takes a huge amount of time to unearth and a lot of the same questions get asked. What about creating a wiki for members to add to/edit to build a repository of collective wisdom/experience for each other to use? It could hold statements about policies, example degree plans, definitions, things to watch for, etc. It could/should be publicly viewable but only editable by forum members. It should be part of the IC/DF family and linked to/from the forum. Something like wiki.degreeforum.net

It would not replace the forum. Discussion should remain here. The wiki could hold "authoritative" answers -- as "authoritative" as anything here could get... Rolleyes

I understand the desire to keep specific test study guide compilations off the wiki since that is a revenue stream, but everything else in the forum should be organizable over time.

Thoughts?

That's a fantatic idea! Either that or you could just plan on being here forever answering the same questions over and over. Smile
Lindagerr Wrote:That is good dcan, but you left out testing CLEP, DSST/Dantes, ECE, TECEP etc. What subjects they cover where to take them and NCsandra's great equivalents paper. I also think we would have to have some discussion about the differences between, Science, Arts and business degrees.

Good point, I did leave that out. Thanks!

OK I'm working on something. I'll post back here when I have something somewhat usable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiki Needs Updated jamshid666 2 1,145 03-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Link to Degree Forum Wiki jmeitrem 5 3,054 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: zapproximator