Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denied Acceptance for Master's Programs with Testing Out degree?
Is it true that some colleges will not accept your credit by exam degree for entry into their Master's programs? Like let's say I get a Liberal Arts degree from either TESU or COSC to start. But then I want to pursue a BSN fast track (RN) or PA program. Or even a masters in let's say teaching? Would they not accept me for having this type of degree? 

Thank you all and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!!! Heart Smile
I have a TESU Liberal Studies BA, and have used it as a basis for entry into an accelerated BSN-RN program that starts in January. I have also been accepted to three masters programs as I was exploring my options going forward. You wont have any problem in most programs.
[-] The following 2 users Like DeanLewis's post:
  • JWells247, suzycupcake
(12-24-2019, 10:20 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: I have a TESU Liberal Studies BA, and have used it as a basis for entry into an accelerated BSN-RN program that starts in January. I have also been accepted to three masters programs as I was exploring my options going forward. You wont have any problem in most programs.

Yes this is true. But if I recall from thread didn't you take your sciences from local Community college? If you are doing an accelerated nursing degree most schools will at least need the pre-reqs in the form of actual college courses instead of ACE of CLEP.

Basically take hard sciences are graded credits but all free electives, humanities, and anything else can be taken as CLEP, ACE or whatever and it shouldn't affect much. There is a post about someone else on this forum who got into medical school with a TESU degree. That being said, they did have to do post-bac course in the sciences required in the form of actual college courses not test outs.

You just need a way to get those sciences and your alt credit degree will be just as good as any.
(12-24-2019, 11:47 AM)natshar Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 10:20 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: I have a TESU Liberal Studies BA, and have used it as a basis for entry into an accelerated BSN-RN program that starts in January. I have also been accepted to three masters programs as I was exploring my options going forward. You wont have any problem in most programs.

Yes this is true. But if I recall from thread didn't you take your sciences from local Community college? If you are doing an accelerated nursing degree most schools will at least need the pre-reqs in the form of actual college courses instead of ACE of CLEP.

Basically take hard sciences are graded credits but all free electives, humanities, and anything else can be taken as CLEP, ACE or whatever and it shouldn't affect much. There is a post about someone else on this forum who got into medical school with a TESU degree. That being said, they did have to do post-bac course in the sciences required in the form of actual college courses not test outs.

You just need a way to get those sciences and your alt credit degree will be just as good as any.

A few, but in my experience, the lab components dictate that. The schools I applied to all accepted Straighter Line's A&P (I and II) and Microbiology WITH labs (and would accept the others offered too). I did my other requirements through CLEP (Lifespan Development), and Community College (Gen Bio, Nutrition, Chemistry etc).
LOL - this gets asked a few times every year - the answer depends on many many variables for acceptance into any Masters degree. The following is my recommendation for any type of masters you or anyone is heading into or thinking of applying to.

1) Review your entry requirements for each graduate program you're interested in
2) Make sure to complete all requirements before applying to each program
3) Most graduate programs will require some type of GPA at the undergrad level, 30 to 60 credits worth
If that is the case for your program, such as a pre-medical/professional program, get those done at a community college
4) Some graduate programs require entrance exams, like the LSAT/MCAT/GRE - study for them
5) Other programs require extra curricular and job experiences, get working on those

A degree from any of the Big 3 or WGU is equivalent to any local/state university, the only difference is the way you obtained the majority of credits are through alternative means. These are regionally accredited and some degree programs have that secondary/programmatic accreditation.

I usually don't even bother looking at reviews, but if you do review some, you would notice that the Big 3/WGU are in the top 500 for online enrollment. They're ranked in the top 10 for adult education, the list goes on. But, they're not Ivy League colleges, they don't get the same recognition and you're def not paying that high of a price for these degrees.

The voluntary secondary/programmatic accreditation for these programs don't always get you into a similar graduate level based degree, for example, most Business AACSB programs want their undergrad also to come from AACSB, but there are a few "smaller" programs that will accept ACBSP or just regionally accredited programs.

TLDR - All in all, get your prerequisites done and all the check boxes checked. A Big 3/WGU is the same as any non ivy league post secondary school. Don't settle for Nationally Accredited unless there are no other options, NA schools have less acceptance than RA schools.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
depends on the school
look at NYU's accelerated nursing
https://nursing.nyu.edu/academics/baccal...ligibility

Prerequisite courses taken in a classroom setting will be more competitive than prerequisite courses taken online. If completing some of the prerequisite courses online is your only option, it is recommended that you complete only developmental psychology and nutrition online.

now look at columbia university's
https://www.nursing.columbia.edu/academi...erequisite

Labs are not required for science courses. However, please check with your home state as labs may be required for your home state licensure.
Online and community colleges are acceptable for prerequisite courses.

and now Yale
https://nursing.yale.edu/prerequisites-gepn-program

while there are no mandatory prerequisites for the graduate entry prespecialty in nursing (gepn) program, the committee on admissions strongly recommend taking collegiate courses in human anatomy, human physiology, statistics, and biophysical sciences.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • JWells247
Thank you all. I was under the impression that I would not be accepted into a Master's program. This clarifies a lot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,455 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 242 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 7,343 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,701 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd