Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Describe the IDEAL Mobile App (iPhone/Android) for InstantCert
Hey guys,

Recently, I've had some members ask me when we're going to offer a mobile app for studying with InstantCert. I'm finally committed to the idea and serious about getting it done.

A couple of years ago, we added a mobile-friendly version of the browser-based flashcards. If you've used the mobile version and didn't like it, I'd love to hear what you would do differently.

The real question:

If you were studying for a CLEP (or DSST or ECE) exam today, what would be your DREAM study app? Feel free to brainstorm out what kind of features it would have, what kind of activities or variations on the flashcards, etc. At this point, we're not taking into account feasibility; we're just coming up with ideas.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
IC flash cards in a quizlet kind of form. Where you would not have to fill in the blank, but the bottom portion of the IC flash card, the explanation part would show up.
Take a look at the gFlash+ app. I use it to make my own flash cards, but a lot of the features would be nice for IC flashcards. I make a list of definitions and terms in google docs and then import the file into gFlash+. Read the definition and then tap the text for the answer. Then select yes / no. It tracks which ones are wrong and you keep going through them until you get them right. It also adds extra cards. So if you missed 4, you would get 6 (the 4 you missed, and 2 you got right for review). The ones it adds are random, so you check getting different cards for review each time. I use the spreadsheet to control how many cards I get at a time. I start with 25 and then as I become familiar with those terms, I add more terms to the original spreadsheet and then remove it and add it back to the app.

Once you get through all the cards, it gives you the option to take a quiz. It generates multiple choice questions using a flash card and extra answers from the deck. This isn't practical for user created flashcards, because the program lacks the logic to create good wrong answers, but if someone was controlling the selections, it might be better.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

How about compatibility with ALL smartphones and touch tablets? Doing it in HTML5 should maximize compatibility.

One nice feature I've seen on practice tests from companies owned by Kaplan is the ability to stop seeing questions that have been answered correctly a specified number of times. You can specify a number as low as 1. Answer a question correctly the specified number of times and you won't see it again. Next time you take the practice test, you only see things you've missed. It is a huge timesaver.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I first want to start off by saying I have never used the mobile app, so I have no clue what it has to offer. I have only used the actual website.

In my opinion, Specific feedback section helps even more than the IC cards. So definitely a combination of the two would be ideal, for this reason, I would like to see the app support DOC/DOCX with the option be able to add your own notes. Another suggestion would be able to make your own IC flash cards. As in putting in a truthful statement and a supporting statement and highlighting several key words. ( maybe be able to make cards on computer and the app) Then the app will randomly choose one of the keywords to leave blank. In addition, if you make your own flash cards you can share them with other members.

Additionally, as the cards are pretty effective you could launch a free version of the app to promote IC membership. This could either include all exams with just 25-50 flash cards, or you could make a popular exam. (If I was the developer, I would make an exam with a very high pass rate free. Then once they pass, they will become dependent on the flashcards for future exams. MUAHAHH)
I feel like the target market for IC is relatively small, not everyone takes CLEPS/DSSTs but nearly all students need a way to study. Providing useful study tools like the making of own cards, providing effective note taking templates, study games. If you develop some good tools such as these, you could sell the Instantcert app (for like $5 maybe? ) and not require a membership, but if you pay the membership you will have access to all the premade cards.

I really think it’s possible for Instantcert to grow, you have a somewhat large community that you could use. The more members that make their own flash cards the more popular instantcert would get. XD well this is my ideal app anyways.

Oh…. And it’s kind of a pain to renew a membership after you have canceled it. I’m not even sure if its possible. I gave up. If you fixed that, that would be nice.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
wow....cool!

I have no suggestions (because I don't own a cell phone) but I'm glad you're expanding!!
"Mobile devices" includes cell phones but isn't limited to those. Tablet devices with or without cellular service are mobile devices. If you don't have a mobile device today, when you replace your desktop or laptop, your replacement might be a tablet.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I appreciate all of the replies; please keep them coming. You don't have to detail out an entire app. If there's just one feature you'd like to see, feel free to post that.

To clarify, I'm specifically talking about apps for smart phones. With the big screen on tablets, studying InstantCert in a browser window shouldn't be much of an issue.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
I'd love to be able to have audio some how. Maybe to be able to have my phone read the question and answer to me. I found the few tests that had audio files to use to study were much more effective for me.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

clep3705 Wrote:How about compatibility with ALL smartphones and touch tablets? Doing it in HTML5 should maximize compatibility.

One nice feature I've seen on practice tests from companies owned by Kaplan is the ability to stop seeing questions that have been answered correctly a specified number of times. You can specify a number as low as 1. Answer a question correctly the specified number of times and you won't see it again. Next time you take the practice test, you only see things you've missed. It is a huge timesaver.

Check out Anki flashcards, these practically do that except use a Hard/Easy/Good scale

Quote:Answer "Again"
When the answer screen is shown, choose the red button, indicating you wish to review the card again soon. This is useful when you forgot a card or wish to review it more frequently.

Answer "Hard"
When the answer screen is shown and there are four buttons, choose the second button from the left, indicating you found the card hard to remember.

Answer "Good"
When the answer screen is shown, choose the green button. This is the button you should end up using the most.

Answer "Easy"
When the answer screen is shown, choose the button on the right, indicating you found the card too easy to remember and would like a much longer delay.

Bury
Hides the current card from review. When you return to the deck list, it will be added back for review.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile phone use in class bjcheung77 0 261 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Android compatible? sony732 4 1,053 09-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Last Post: graduatesoon
  InstantCert Flashcards: Uexcel Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior jthatcher50 0 1,598 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: jthatcher50
  Why can't I log in to InstantCert to access the flashcards? yanni805 1 1,803 05-18-2017, 12:12 AM
Last Post: moezsheikh
  InstantCert for US History 1 Silly_Me 5 2,569 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Different answer for same question on REA and InstantCert LisaSC 1 1,194 08-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Western Civ 1 Instantcert problems Jesusfreak97 6 1,299 06-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Jesusfreak97
  Where can I find the bookmarks button for my Instantcert flashcards? cobhc100 1 969 06-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Last Post: alzee
  InstantCert Discount Code MrsHall 0 1,435 05-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Last Post: MrsHall
  InstantCert Useful For Saylor Proctored Exams? waterman101 3 1,017 03-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Last Post: jblackhawk