Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desperately need help making a plan! Any help greatly appreciated! :)
I've been checking out the forums for years, but don't have super up-to-date info and would appreciate absolutely any help in making a plan!  [Image: smile.png]  I have read through the wiki, etc., but I am going through a LOT medically and emotionally and am overwhelmed and afraid that I'll make a dumb mistake in planning that will derail everything. I'm an unemployed, recently divorced (due to domestic violence) single mom with 3 children w/ special needs. I've been out of the workforce for the past 15 yrs raising children, so a degree is necessary for me to secure a job that pays me enough to even afford childcare for my youngest child. 

Here's my situation. Basically, because I changed majors a few times, I feel like I have a lot of random credits. Because of that, I can't tell what degree would be the least expensive/easiest for me to obtain.I have a full $6000 Pell Grant. I just applied to NMJC so I can earn credits there, but am expecting to get additional leftover funds that can go towards testing, etc for my other credits needed. Like many others, my hope is to earn a bachelors degree in the least amount of time possible for the least amount of out of pocket expense. I am hoping to get a degree from either TESC or Charter Oak. I just haven't figured out which one makes more sense for me financially and credit-wise. If it effects anything, I should add that I would love to go for a masters degree in Public Health one day. If anyone could help me put together a roadmap to a degree, I'd even happily pay you something. I'm so desperate. Thanks again!  [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] 
Here are the credits I have:

*71 credits from regular colleges for courses taken back in 1998-2001 (listed below)
*9 Clep Credits (6 credits math, 3 credits english I I believe)
* 6 FEMA Credits 

SS151- Principals of Macroeconomics (3)
SS152- Principals of Microeconomics (3)

SS271- Abnormal Psychology (3)
PSY100- Intro to Psychology (3)
SOC101- Sociological Imagination (3)
ENG152- English II (3)
SC161- Biology I (4)

SC181- General Chemistry I (4)
SC232- Microbiology (4)
BIO100- Life Science: Human Emphasis (3)
BIO116- Principles of Biology- Evolution to Ecology (4, but only got a D in this class)
BIO116L- Principles of Biology Lab II 
HPE110- Applied Modern Health I (2)
NU169- Success In Nursing (1)
HIS150- World History to 1500 (3)
H172- Western Civilization II (3)
COM104- Speech Communication (3)

COM100- Mass Media Communications (3)
BU134- Principals of Marketing (3)
MCOM214- Principles of Advertising (3)

MCOM411- Comm Process (3)
GER200- German III (3)
PHL101- Logic and Language (3)
THE199- The Arts in Contemporary Civilization (3)
MUS127- Instrumental Ensemble- Band (1 credit)
(03-11-2019, 11:44 AM)sharsharky Wrote: I've been checking out the forums for years, but don't have super up-to-date info and would appreciate absolutely any help in making a plan!  [Image: smile.png]  I have read through the wiki, etc., but I am going through a LOT medically and emotionally and am overwhelmed and afraid that I'll make a dumb mistake in planning that will derail everything. I'm an unemployed, recently divorced (due to domestic violence) single mom with 3 children w/ special needs. I've been out of the workforce for the past 15 yrs raising children, so a degree is necessary for me to secure a job that pays me enough to even afford childcare for my youngest child. 

Here's my situation. Basically, because I changed majors a few times, I feel like I have a lot of random credits. Because of that, I can't tell what degree would be the least expensive/easiest for me to obtain.I have a full $6000 Pell Grant. I just applied to NMJC so I can earn credits there, but am expecting to get additional leftover funds that can go towards testing, etc for my other credits needed. Like many others, my hope is to earn a bachelors degree in the least amount of time possible for the least amount of out of pocket expense. I am hoping to get a degree from either TESC or Charter Oak. I just haven't figured out which one makes more sense for me financially and credit-wise. If it effects anything, I should add that I would love to go for a masters degree in Public Health one day. If anyone could help me put together a roadmap to a degree, I'd even happily pay you something. I'm so desperate. Thanks again!  [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] 
Here are the credits I have:

*71 credits from regular colleges for courses taken back in 1998-2001 (listed below)
*9 Clep Credits (6 credits math, 3 credits english I I believe)
* 6 FEMA Credits 

SS151- Principals of Macroeconomics (3)
SS152- Principals of Microeconomics (3)

SS271- Abnormal Psychology (3)
PSY100- Intro to Psychology (3)
SOC101- Sociological Imagination (3)
ENG152- English II (3)
SC161- Biology I (4)

SC181- General Chemistry I (4)
SC232- Microbiology (4)
BIO100- Life Science: Human Emphasis (3)
BIO116- Principles of Biology- Evolution to Ecology (4, but only got a D in this class)
BIO116L- Principles of Biology Lab II 
HPE110- Applied Modern Health I (2)
NU169- Success In Nursing (1)
HIS150- World History to 1500 (3)
H172- Western Civilization II (3)
COM104- Speech Communication (3)

COM100- Mass Media Communications (3)
BU134- Principals of Marketing (3)
MCOM214- Principles of Advertising (3)

MCOM411- Comm Process (3)
GER200- German III (3)
PHL101- Logic and Language (3)
THE199- The Arts in Contemporary Civilization (3)
MUS127- Instrumental Ensemble- Band (1 credit)

Below advice is for entertainment purposes only (I'm not an academic advisor).

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. I had asked my college advisor to help me find the fastest path to a degree and she WOULDN'T. She kept telling me that I should pick a degree related to my intended field of work (which would have kept me there much longer). What really was happening was that she wanted to take me for the piggy bank she and the school saw me as. Also, to figure it out is a lot of work and I wasn't her only student.

There is probably no emergency rush to come up with a complete plan today. I'm assuming NMJC is New Mexico Junior College? Your focus should be to pass whatever courses you're registered for so that you keep your financial aid and don't fall into 'academic alert' status.

There are easy paths, cheap paths, and fast paths, but these paths don't necessarily intertwine. The easiest path for you is probably a degree in general studies.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies at TESU

I like TESU because they require less 300-400 level credits than Exelsior. Charter Oaks also has a liberal arts degree, but the specificity of the credits in the liberal studies' concentrations make it a drag depending on the concentration.

One problem is that TESU has gotten more expensive recently and we're not sure if 6 credits are going to be required instead of 3. Before, you just needed the Capstone (before that, you just needed 120 credits), but now we might have to take the cornerstone, too. I e-mailed them, but they haven't e-mailed me back. They probably don't know yet.

After I got a degree in general studies, there were two times when I got jobs because the employer required a bachelor's degree in anything. But, it wasn't the best degree for getting a job. A lot of people choose to get a business degree because there are lots of business courses (exams), upper level and lower level. Some subjects have no upper level courses available by exam, so make sure to avoid related degrees.

However, to an extent, we can't tell you exactly what to do. When you pick a school and program, your advisor will tell you what credits you need exactly. At that point, it will be easier to direct you towards a course(s). Given that you don't have any upper level credits yet (as far as I can tell), you aren't necessarily much closer to one degree as opposed to another. Some degrees are much more painful than others and far less enjoyable. That is something to consider.

My suggestion at this point would be to choose a school and degree option between TESU, Exelsior, and Charter Oaks. However, I think that college is really cheap in New Mexico, so you might be able to continue getting the Pell Grant if you don't have a bachelor's degree. Assuming you go with a public school, this could be a better, cheaper option. TESU is up to ~$6,000 now for the whole degree (transferring in 3-6 credits) and Exelsior charges ~$1000+ just to enroll.

I would also talk to your advisor at the school and tell them what you're thinking because they're more familiar with the area. These rates are much cheaper than TESU: https://nnmc.edu/home/student-gateway/ad...summer-17/ You might not have to take half of the credits there, but you'd have to ask. Though, you would have to go to class and it would take longer. Studying for some exams is not so speedy.

You don't have to sign up for any exams tomorrow. Why don't you tell us about a school and degree option you'd like and we'll tell you about course availability online and through other exams? You're more likely to have a problem if you rush to make a decision.

And you don't need to pay us. :/)
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
First, be careful taking advice on here from someone who's pretty new, and has only posted a few times.  You do NOT need to have an advisor to help you - that's what we are here for.

Second, you need to list your CLEP credits, as well as if any of the credits you have (above) are UL or not.

Third on cost:
TESU requires 2 courses at the school (cornerstone and capstone), at $1,125 each.  That plus the fees will put you at $4,857, plus 38 courses/114cr. (*incl. the Study.com disc.)
COSC requires 2 courses at the school (cornerstone and capstone), at $1,102 each.  That plus the fees will put you at $2,774, plus 38 courses/114cr. (*incl. the SL/Study.com 10% disc.)

So, you may be better off at COSC if money is an issue (which it sounds like it is).

COSC does require more UL credits, but at this point, UL is so much easier to get than it used to be that you should definitely consider it.

You could also look at cheap/free credits that are available.

For COSC, I show that you need Ethics, US History/Govt, Global Understanding, & Math (depending on which math course you took) - and then all your requirements are met.  You also need 30cr of UL, and to determine your major.  Like, I'm willing to be that you could do a bunch of UL courses in Healthcare Management through Study.com, and combine those with your science courses to make a degree.  Or take UL Psych courses at Study.com, and combine that with some marketing courses you've taken and some additional ones and do a major of Psych & Marketing.  Stuff like that.  It should cost less than $4000 to do all of this.

For TESU, I show that you need Ethics, a Diversity Course, and a Civic Engagement course - and then your requirements are met.  You then need 15cr of UL in the major (so Liberal Studies courses like History, Psych, Comm, etc.), and some Free Electives.  Easier, I think, to meet the requirements - but more expensive too. $6000 to finish the degree.

I'm not sure which will take longer. I'm under the impression that you can do COSC's Cornerstone in the first half of the term, and the Capstone in the 2nd half (8 weeks each) and be done in 1 term.  TESU is going to require 2 12-week courses (although they can be taken concurrently, with the amount of writing to be done, that might be hard to pull off).

Here are degree plans for both, you can check it out and see.  I might take the free Ethics course, and free Sophia courses, along with American Government, and then see what you think (those will work for both degrees).

Attached Files
.xlsx   sharsharky TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 44.36 KB / Downloads: 11)
.xlsx   sharsharky COSC BALS-1page.xlsx (Size: 114.38 KB / Downloads: 17)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL, sharsharky
(03-11-2019, 04:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I don't even know what to say. You are so amazing!!!   Smile Smile Smile
So, it seems like TESU would take me a bit longer (because of the 2 12 week classes) and cost a couple thousand more, but be easier to complete... humm.. how do you all choose?! lol Smile  I suppose TESU has a better "name"? I'm from NJ originally and had heard about TESU, but don't know if a degree from there would be more valuable than one from COSC.

Thanks again!
I'm endlessly appreciative!

First, be careful taking advice on here from someone who's pretty new, and has only posted a few times.  You do NOT need to have an advisor to help you - that's what we are here for.

Second, you need to list your CLEP credits, as well as if any of the credits you have (above) are UL or not.

Third on cost:
TESU requires 2 courses at the school (cornerstone and capstone), at $1,125 each.  That plus the fees will put you at $4,857, plus 38 courses/114cr. (*incl. the Study.com disc.)
COSC requires 2 courses at the school (cornerstone and capstone), at $1,102 each.  That plus the fees will put you at $2,774, plus 38 courses/114cr. (*incl. the SL/Study.com 10% disc.)

So, you may be better off at COSC if money is an issue (which it sounds like it is).

COSC does require more UL credits, but at this point, UL is so much easier to get than it used to be that you should definitely consider it.

For COSC, I show that you need Ethics, US History/Govt, Global Understanding, & Math (depending on which math course you took) - and then all your requirements are met.  You also need 30cr of UL, and to determine your major.  Like, I'm willing to be that you could do a bunch of UL courses in Healthcare Management through Study.com, and combine those with your science courses to make a degree.  Or take UL Psych courses at Study.com, and combine that with some marketing courses you've taken and some additional ones and do a major of Psych & Marketing.  Stuff like that.  It should cost less than $4000 to do all of this.

For TESU, I show that you need Ethics, a Diversity Course, and a Civic Engagement course - and then your requirements are met.  You then need 15cr of UL in the major (so Liberal Studies courses like History, Psych, Comm, etc.), and some Free Electives.  Easier, I think, to meet the requirements - but more expensive too. $6000 to finish the degree.

I'm not sure which will take longer. I'm under the impression that you can do COSC's Cornerstone in the first half of the term, and the Capstone in the 2nd half (8 weeks each) and be done in 1 term.  TESU is going to require 2 12-week courses (although they can be taken concurrently, with the amount of writing to be done, that might be hard to pull off).

Here are degree plans for both, you can check it out and see.  I might take the free Ethics course, and free Sophia courses, along with American Government, and then see what you think (those will work for both degrees).
Thinking a Business Administration degree from TESU will be my best bet. I was going to do COSC because of cost, but just learned that only TESU has ACBSP accreditation. Not sure how much that matters, but figured better safe than sorry. Going to look through the forums this morning to figure out the best sources for my classes needed. This is all so exciting, but also a bit scary! Man, I wish I had just gotten my degree when I was young. lol
Isn't this a duplicate thread of the one posted 20 minutes earlier?
(03-11-2019, 04:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Quick question- I seemed to have adequately confused myself. lol So, a degree from TESU in Business Administration- Management would require more credits than a degree in Liberal Studies- Psychology correct? Was just weighing my options before going full steam into my plan. Again, thanks so much for your help!  Smile

Third on cost:

@sharsharky,

You need to try and do a better job of handing quoted material. You are typing your responses inside the quote boxes and confusing everyone. Please type your response completely outside the quote box, or simply don't quote other posts inside your own. This board makes it difficult to type your response above quoted material, so you might have better luck typing below it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
@davewill Thanks for the advice!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,184 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 618 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 833 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  No, the Average College Grad Wasn't Making $100,000 in the 1980s LevelUP 16 1,367 05-15-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 742 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition-Free College Movement Gains Momentum, Despite Biden’s Stalled Plan LevelUP 6 1,439 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UNC’s $97 Million Plan bjcheung77 4 955 12-13-2021, 12:51 PM
  Aloha-Any Advice Appreciated Hawaii5oh 11 1,998 01-23-2020, 04:38 PM
  Help with AA plan? iwantmydegreeplz 7 1,832 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: allvia