Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devastated after recent assignment grade
I'm in the EC nursing ADN program and finished my first week of nursing core classes on Sunday. I received my first assignment grade back and got a 68.5. I'm crushed and feeling defeated like I haven't felt in a long time.
How do I recover from such an emotional defeat and move on to be successful? It feels like if I can't get something like this right maybe I should try a different career at this point.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Treat as a learning opportunity. Talk to the prof and/or a TA and fully understand what the deficiencies were. If they are such that you can address them in your future studies, then do so. If not, best you find out early and take another route.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • allvia
Ditto on what davewill said.   

To add in an experience I had:
At B&M university, on the first day of a technical writing class the instructor quickly stated he would be giving inconsequential Ds and Fs (maybe a couple of Cs) for the first few assignments.  It was to shock students into producing better work.  After a certain point he would transition into the actual grading.  Yikes!
I eventually dropped the class due to a schedule conflict. However, I often wonder how the students in the class fared or if this sort of teaching technique worked.  
I hope this is not the case for you.  But it feels like I have had many professors who are SUPER hard graders the first couple of weeks in order to weed people out.

My kid got Ds for the first couple of TESU Capstone assignments.  She read the comments on her assignments, emailed the professor, and realized her usual way of completing assignments weren't going to work.  Her grades steadily improved from there, even received an A on the Capstone.  However, those Ds brought the overall grade to a B.  It was a good lesson in perseverance, flexibility, and really paying attention to the rubric.

I'd encourage you to stick with the class and communicate with the professor/TA, see how the next assignment goes, but keep an eye on the drop/withdraw dates.
Don't give up hope yet!
It's only one assignment. In my calc-based physics course, I got a 64 on my first test and a 54 on my second test. Afterwards, I picked my grades back up to As on the next tests and did as much extra credit as possible. I ended up with an A for the semester. Just read and study the readings more carefully and follow the guidelines set by the professor and you'll do just fine.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(03-19-2019, 11:54 AM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'm in the EC nursing ADN program and finished my first week of nursing core classes on Sunday. I received my first assignment grade back and got a 68.5. I'm crushed and feeling defeated like I haven't felt in a long time.
How do I recover from such an emotional defeat and move on to be successful? It feels like if I can't get something like this right maybe I should try a different career at this point.
I actually think it's not a big deal at all because it's only one assignment. Employers care about degrees, not grades. Just don't stop!  This is NOTHING. I got put on academic alert one time because I got a D- in accounting. I was very sick during that semester and almost lost financial aid.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-19-2019, 11:54 AM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'm in the EC nursing ADN program and finished my first week of nursing core classes on Sunday. I received my first assignment grade back and got a 68.5. I'm crushed and feeling defeated like I haven't felt in a long time.

Wow, what a kick in the gut.
I considered dropping out of TESU when I failed a DSST exam. Seriously, it was such a blow to my psyche that I thought "I knew I wasn't smart enough to get a college degree! I should just quit."

Obviously I didn't quit- but it was more damaging than I expected, and even now writing you about it I can still feel those butterflies.

I can only tell you that you're going to have other blows - if not from your writing, then from some a-hole nurse manager or a doctor or a <gasp> patient who challenges your whatever - knowledge, professionalism, judgment. It's going to happen again.

If I had any advice, it would be to work on ways to build your resilience, because even if you stopped pursuing nursing, you will still need to build this muscle. (which is something that I'm still not great at btw)
(03-19-2019, 04:12 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Wow, what a kick in the gut.
I considered dropping out of TESU when I failed a DSST exam.  Seriously, it was such a blow to my psyche that I thought "I knew I wasn't smart enough to get a college degree! I should just quit."

Obviously I didn't quit- but it was more damaging than I expected, and even now writing you about it I can still feel those butterflies.  

I can only tell you that you're going to have other blows - if not from your writing, then from some a-hole nurse manager or a doctor or a <gasp> patient who challenges your whatever - knowledge, professionalism, judgment.  It's going to happen again.

If I had any advice, it would be to work on ways to build your resilience, because even if you stopped pursuing nursing, you will still need to build this muscle.  (which is something that I'm still not great at btw)

I needed to hear this. I've always had soft skin and take things very personally. You're right, I need to be resilient and strengthen my core so to speak.  Angel
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Let's move the discussion off of grades to learning. What was the assignment? What was the nature of the deductions? If you lost many points from APA style violations, that's something that can easily be fixed. If it is knowledge or comprehension, that's another matter altogether. What is the class? How do you study? Did not start the assignment early or did you rush it to completion as the deadline was near?

How many Excelsior nursing students post here? Not very many. There are hundreds of thousands of nurses and nursing students at allnurses.com. Nursing students should post there, not here. You need to find a critical mass of people who have direct knowledge of Excelsior. If it only gets harder, you need to reevaluate. Are you taking on debt to do this?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Did you do well in all your other classes? Do you know what the average score was for that exam?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 715 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Grade for credit Mike Williams 14 1,261 01-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 500 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  Options for "Fast/Cheap" Credits that Give a Letter Grade at the Big Three? retro 5 1,467 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Feeling Discouraged due to grade and what materials did you use 2L8 13 2,534 09-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Last Post: 2L8
  Seriously worried—almost all of degree university-level courses = grade 12 courses pws 12 5,988 03-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
Star 2019 most recent BALS degree plan? christian511 4 1,964 02-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My recent ACE evaluation at TESU MNomadic 4 1,511 08-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to make an appeal on the grade - DSST Pub. Speak. BenWalton 11 3,536 03-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Last Post: greencouch