Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont Checklist?
I started this journey last year but never got off the ground, I'll spare everyone the details. I went back and read my previous post and want to explore UMPI and Pierpont. With Pierpont, is there a surefire way to make sure you'll have the required credits? I have quite a few from my local tech college (accredited) but because it's a tech school, many of the courses were 2 credit hours and probably won't help check off much on the Pierpont requirements. Plus, the school changed from the quarter system to the semester system so that screwed with my hours, however, I'm moving forward. If anyone has a moment and wants to give me a rundown of what I should take through Sophia or other sites to complete the BOG AAS, I would greatly appreciate it. 

So far I have:
CMP 101Z Intro to Microcomputers 2.00 A
ENG 111Z Business English 3.33 Exam no grade given
MAT 098Z Developmental Pre-Algebra 3.33 S no grade given (developmental course)
MAT 103Z Algebraic Concepts 3.33 A
PSY 100Z Interpersonal Relations/Professional Development 2.00 A
HIST 2111 US History I 3.00 B (from a local college, not the tech school)

Drafting Courses:
DDF101Z Intro to Drafting 4.00 EX no grade given 
DDF102Z Size and Shape Description I 3.33 A
DDF103Z Size and Shape Description II 3.33 A
DDF104Z Pictorial Drawing 2.00 EX no grade given
DDF105Z Auxiliary Views 2.00 A
DDF106Z Fasteners 2.00 A
DDF107Z Intro to CAD 3.33 A/A
DDF108Z Intersections and Development 3.33 A/A
DDF109Z Assembly Drawings I 3.33 A/A
DDF110Z Assembly Drawings II 3.33 A/A

GPA 3.89
43.64 Earned Hours
31.31 GPA Hours
121.91 Points
Complete the requirements at Sophia and you'll have enough credits: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

I wouldn't take College Algebra or US History I from Sophia, because you've already got US History I and Algebraic Concepts might count as the same thing. Other than that, I think your credits are all "electives", though you might be able to get an Area of Emphasis out of them. You'll have to discuss with Nancy Parks after your credits have been evaluated.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Indieblue
(12-19-2022, 12:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Complete the requirements at Sophia and you'll have enough credits: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

I wouldn't take College Algebra or US History I from Sophia, because you've already got US History I and Algebraic Concepts might count as the same thing. Other than that, I think your credits are all "electives", though you might be able to get an Area of Emphasis out of them. You'll have to discuss with Nancy Parks after your credits have been evaluated.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Wish I had more core classes, but I'm moving forward and it is what it is. Hate I withdrew from so many classes early on. I guess you live and learn.
A school switching from the quarter system to the semester system actually doesn't do anything to your current credits - it just does the conversion for you, rather than another school doing it. You didn't gain or lose anything by it.

As for your drafting courses, they'll count as Free Electives, so that's fine.

With Pierpont, yes, you can get the required credits along the way to your UMPI degree - and it's not a bad plan. Also, with those drafting courses, and the fact that Pierpont has a drafting degree, guess what? You can get a Drafting Area of Emphasis. So that's fun.

Your best bet is to create a plan for UMPI, put in your previous credits, and then plan out the rest of your courses. Then, make sure you FIRST do all of the courses that will also apply towards your Pierpont degree. Once you've completed those, go ahead and apply to UMPI, and then continue on with your UMPI plan.

Take the following for Pierpont:
English Comp I (you need it anyway for UMPI - not certain how they'll bring in that Business English course)
A NatSci course (you need 6cr of Math/NatSci, you already have 3cr of Math that should work)
A 3cr computer course
8cr of Free Electives

Easy peasy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-19-2022, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A school switching from the quarter system to the semester system actually doesn't do anything to your current credits - it just does the conversion for you, rather than another school doing it.  You didn't gain or lose anything by it.
Thank you. I realize now that I'm older it would have been changed by other schools but looking back at my older transcripts and seeing 5.00 for a class sure was nice lol. It truly doesn't matter, I guess I just notated it so it would explain the weird credit hours.

Take the following for Pierpont:
English Comp I (you need it anyway for UMPI - not certain how they'll bring in that Business English course)
A NatSci course (you need 6cr of Math/NatSci, you already have 3cr of Math that should work)
A 3cr computer course
8cr of Free Electives
Awesome, thank you so much for listing it out like that. I am going to check on a CLEP for English Comp versus Sophia. I've studied for it, that may be a quicker way to get that one course if Modern States still has vouchers. Any advice on easy electives or math/science? 
Easy peasy.
I hope so. I planned all of this out for my kids, I don't know why my brain can't seem to get it together when planning it for myself.
At Sophia, both Environmental Science and Human Biology are pretty quick & easy.

Intro to Chem + Lab will be longer, but should work for UMPI's lab science requirement.

Intro to IT works for the computer literacy requirement.

Communication at Work may be quicker/easier for Pierpont than taking the CLEP for English Comp. And you really, really want to take English Comp at UMPI (instead of CLEP) to get up to speed on how they expect their papers to be formatted. Or do Visual Communications. Both at Sophia, both can be done in a couple of days at most.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • Indieblue
(12-20-2022, 06:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote: At Sophia, both Environmental Science and Human Biology are pretty quick & easy.

Intro to Chem + Lab will be longer, but should work for UMPI's lab science requirement.
Thank you again for your help. I am not great at Science....but I did sit through online classes with my kiddos when they took college biology so that may have helped. Chemistry seems daunting, but it would be nice to check off something for UMPI as well. 
Intro to IT works for the computer literacy requirement.
I'll add that one to my list.
Communication at Work may be quicker/easier for Pierpont than taking the CLEP for English Comp. And you really, really want to take English Comp at UMPI (instead of CLEP) to get up to speed on how they expect their papers to be formatted. Or do Visual Communications. Both at Sophia, both can be done in a couple of days at most.
Okay, so English Comp at UMPI. Papers are making me nervous, not sure why. I've seen the papers (mainly essays) my kids submitted to their professors, and they always managed A's and B's but some of the stuff I've seen posted here (10+ page, thesis type assignments) has me taking a step back. 

As far as Sophia, should I continue to take as many courses as I can so I can transfer them into UMPI or just jump straight to UMPI after Pierpont?
Definitely make sure you have at least the GEC requirements filled. At the very, very least, you need to have a foreign language credit (Spanish I at Sophia works) and all science requirements. These two requirements are notorious for being difficult at UMPI, so you want to do them elsewhere.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • Indieblue
(12-20-2022, 06:34 AM)Indieblue Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A school switching from the quarter system to the semester system actually doesn't do anything to your current credits - it just does the conversion for you, rather than another school doing it.  You didn't gain or lose anything by it.
Thank you. I realize now that I'm older it would have been changed by other schools but looking back at my older transcripts and seeing 5.00 for a class sure was nice lol. It truly doesn't matter, I guess I just notated it so it would explain the weird credit hours.

At a quarter-based school, you get more credits, but you need more credits to graduate - most classes are 4-5 credits, but you need 180qcr to graduate.

At a semester-based school, courses are generally 3cr, but you only need 120cr to graduate.

Either way, you usually need about 40 courses to graduate (yes, this is a huge generalization, but fairly close to reality).
40x3cr=120cr
40x4.5cr=180cr
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I received an email the other day for a free course through Coursera. The link still isn't working. Did anyone else get it? Wondering who I can contact to get in on the deal.

If I can get the promotion to work, what course should I take? Trying to check off the boxes for my BOG Associates first then probably UMPI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 673 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Rainbow Am I On Track? Pierpont to UMPI Princ3OfCrim3 2 427 12-15-2023, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Princ3OfCrim3
  Degree Advice - Pierpont, UMPI, WGU? Darknigh7 14 968 12-10-2023, 12:30 PM
  Pierpont/UMPI degree plan/course fulfillment help vesparza15 6 594 10-06-2023, 06:52 PM
  degree plan for Pierpont to UMPI for BABA or BAS any4yeardegree 5 629 09-13-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: any4yeardegree
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 440 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree? adaggiote 2 457 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
  An Update: Pierpont AAS BoG to WGU BSIT, looking for feedback/advice! Alec311 9 977 07-27-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Pierpont BOG AAS to UMPI BAS-MIS ToBeIT 19 3,550 07-02-2023, 06:00 PM
  WGU BSCS or Pierpont->UMPI->MS swellguy 26 2,132 06-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LevelUP