Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did this Excelsior Admissions Counselor just lie to me?
It contradicts their own documents. See the following document on credit by exam.

https://my.excelsior.edu/documents/78666...afcce7119e
Application support team? Are you an enrolled student? This sounds like the team of people who help in the admissions process; they generally have no clue about how credits are applied. Excelsior sort of treats you like a stranger until you enroll (some students from COSC and TESC also stated the same about their schools), once you enroll then will you be able to speak with an actual academic advisor, as you will have a personal one. Transferred credit, UExcels, Excelsior classes along with some Dante's test are given graded credits; however, I think I read DANTE test are now just given a P or F grade.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
Toastmaster Wrote:Hey all!

I've hung out on these forums for a decent amount of time and I've soaked up a lot of the general knowledge. I reached out to Excelsior College to see if there any other sources that the college would accept for gradedcredit (besides transferred credits, UExcels, or Excelsior classes). This is what I got back:

Did some things change that I am not aware of?

Bless her heart. She didn't lie, she just doesn't know. My guess is that you spoke to an admissions person, not an advising person. Remember admissions people are just there to get you to enroll, they are the sales force. Good thing you paid attention! Smile
Thanks Jen, and everyone! I guess I should assume "positive intent" in this.....maybe she was really trying to be helpful. I just looked at it and was like.....?

Thank you to everyone who responded. I guess I'll delete this when I get home to my computer.

cookderosa Wrote:Bless her heart. She didn't lie, she just doesn't know. My guess is that you spoke to an admissions person, not an advising person. Remember admissions people are just there to get you to enroll, they are the sales force. Good thing you paid attention! Smile
Yes, I think she was confused. I have to say that my advisor (after I was enrolled) was AWESOME!!!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Exfactor Wrote:Excelsior sort of treats you like a stranger until you enroll (some students from COSC and TESC also stated the same about their schools)
That's the opposite of my COSC experience. In fact their willingness to answer detailed questions for a lowly prospective applicant is what sealed the deal for me.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
SteveFoerster Wrote:That's the opposite of my COSC experience. In fact their willingness to answer detailed questions for a lowly prospective applicant is what sealed the deal for me.

COSC was actually my first choice, I actually enrolled before deciding to attend Excelsior instead. However, before I enrolled at COSC I got no where when I asked questions to the admission staff until I paid my fee and enrolled.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
I think in general, admissions people are the "face" of many schools, so schools can give you a really good (or bad) impression based on how this person interacts with you. I think in the above scenario, the person really was trying to help and was prompt, courteous, and polite... but remember, if you do a job search for admissions (as a career) you'll find that they're looking for sales/marketing/recruitment backgrounds and degrees (which doesn't mean these people can't learn the job as it applies in an educational setting, but still.....). Admissions Representative Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
2011, Terrell Adgers, my COSC admissions rep jumped through hoops, gave excellent advice, and was a generally swell guy...he was ultimately the reason I enrolled there. TESC was bad, EC was much worse...EC still stinks at least till your enrolled. Even paying the application fee doesn't get you much access beyond what you can find on their public website.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,392 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,855 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 944 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,239 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,748 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,202 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,341 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah