Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you ever google your user name?
I have used this or a slight deviation from this user name in many places, so today I googled it to see what comes up. There were one or two items that had to do with me, but the majority of the items had to do with a court Guardian Ad Litem in MN. She is not very well liked and it made me wonder, will people connect me to this person because of my user name? Has anyone else tried to Google their user name?
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
All the time. :coolgleam: My name, other people's names, very useful tool.
I am not sure Googling my username is going to be very productive. Smile
I have but not recently. I have used this name on forums for over 10 years, but it looks like a couple of years ago someone else started using it on twitter.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I hadn't but nothing unexpected came up except this: "In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org."

When I opened it, it was a copyright infringement for a photo of something used here. I was named along with 78 others from Degree Forum Wink Wow. https://www.chillingeffects.org/notices/1857834
Dewisant is Saint David, the patron saint of Wales.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MFA in Creative Writing from Liberty University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
I have no idea how to remove it, but that is scary:ack:. I try to keep a low profile on the web sometimes I think having a common name like Jennifer Smith (I know 3) would make life easier or at least safer.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

It's definitely a good idea to Google your real name (and maiden names and other variants) and all of your online user names - and, of course, any businesses or nonprofits you're associated with - on a regular basis. I wouldn't do something as simple as choosing someone for a team project in one of my classes without Googling them first, so you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd do a Google-based background check before even considering a professional or romantic relationship with anyone.

As for my real name, I apparently share the same name as a local minister, another student who attended the same college as me, some guy who was accused of insurance fraud in the 90s, and a meth-addicted rapist. One of the reasons I made sure to establish an active social media presence is I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't the same person as the two unsavory characters who shared my same name and city. Fortunately, my own social media profiles now show up at the top of Google searches.

My DegreeForum name, which I use at a few other places, is so common that no one will ever find it through a simple Google search.

My other online user name is used on a bunch of different sites. A couple of other people have inactive accounts with the same name on other sites. It would take quite a bit of Googling to link my online identity with my real-life identity, and if they actually did that, they'd find that most of what I did was boring and essentially positive.

eddie4: It's tough to get stuff removed from the Internet. Try e-mailing whoever runs the site and asking - politely - for the information to be removed.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
Just came upon this very interesting thread...Googled the screen name I use here (one I do not use anywhere else) and came upon a few people who are definitely not me...I'd like to alter my screen name - how does one go about doing this?

This is the price you pay for being completely unimaginative when creating screen names. :p
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Since my Maiden name was as common as Smith there are 100's of them on linkedin alone. My name when married to my first husband translated to "pretty bed" so you can imagine what comes up when you google that. It is amazing how much information is available on line. I am happy to say there is nothing I need to be embarrassed about. I did find that the only real info is from either this forum or TESC where I was in a Signals write up many years ago. The good news is some of the free info like phone no. date of birth and such was a little incorrect so I do still have a few secrets.
Linda

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  24yr Google Engineer Saves 80% Of His Income & Plans to Retire by 30 With $1 Million LevelUP 13 1,486 03-09-2022, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 670 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 921 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cousera Google offers $150 to complete IT Support Cert graduatesoon 15 3,667 02-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Possibly Free eriehiker 1 1,707 02-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Help VIA Google Hangouts geissingert 0 652 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Last Post: geissingert
  Google Drive- love this! cookderosa 16 2,030 08-31-2013, 05:21 AM
Last Post: dposborne
  Free phone service SipGate+Google voice rickyjo 11 2,885 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  OT google cookderosa 6 1,298 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: nj593