Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you take College Composition w/ essay?
The book he recommended was "The Lively Art of Writing." It's all about the style and format of writing a good essay. I found it really helpful and clear. It was also a "fun" read and not too heavy. Best of all, it costed all of $6.99! Definetly worth the investment.
Good luck!
Great job green! Passing English with Essay is always a huge relief! My greatest felicitations! I'm glad you found the book helpful; it was actually given to me by a good friend and was a h-u-g-e asset in preparing for the essay.
myarcus Wrote:What book did Happycamper recommend for you?

It really is a fantastic book, the best I've ever seen. You can find it at Amazon.com: The Lively Art of Writing (Mentor) (9780451627124):…
Yes, Yes, Happycamper!
Totally!
I will hold on to that book. I think I'll find it helpful in the future as well...
Thanks again! I owe my pass to you.
Phew, I just took the test today and now I'm awaiting the results. Hopefully I managed to pass without the book.
Kyle
TESC Liberal Studies BA - 2011
New Charter University MPA - 2012
Georgetown University School of Law - 2016

BA in Liberal Studies - Degree Outline|

Galations 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
(07-27-2010, 05:23 PM)irnbru Wrote: You will do great. If it's any help, remember:

Read the instructions and identify the type of essay you are being asked to write (Proposal, argument, comparison, close reading analysis, classification, etc.)

Introductory paragraph
-Introduce topic
-THESIS STATEMENT (Natural sentence, not a statement of intent)
--List supporting argument paragraph topics as part of thesis statement; you can use a semi-colon to put two complete sentences together and make sure the list of paragraphs one, two and three are included in a single thesis sentence Smile

First argument topic paragraph
Use transitional phrase, e.g. "Firstly, ..."
-First sentence states topic
--Body supports argument topic stated in first sentence
---Final sentence restates argument topic and sets up next paragraph

Second argument topic paragraph
Use transitional phrase, e.g. "Meanwhile/Next/Moving on..."
--Body supports argument topic stated in first sentence

Third argument topic paragraph (possible inclusion of counter-argument)
Use transitional phrase
--Body supports argument topic stated in first sentence (i.e., refutation of counter-argument)

Conclusion paragraph
"In conclusion..."
-Recap argument topics
-Recap thesis statement
-Close on a nice line

If you have time, check your grammar and punctuation. Five sentences per paragraph is enough. Cut to two body paragraphs if time is hurting or ideas are short Smile Simple, structured language is better than attempting to defenestrate the epitome of a cornucopia of concise anti-sophistry, etc.

Good luck!

this is indeed very helpful. i'll also take note of this coz this may come handy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 550 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Excelsior College will no longer offer UExcel examinations after August 21, 2022 nomaduser 2 359 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Has anyone taken the english composition 2 tecep test? bobby123 23 5,018 10-13-2023, 01:13 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Analyzing and Interp Lit Essay ??? edbrain 13 4,680 08-10-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  College composition citing requirements Ninjyata 7 1,906 06-15-2022, 11:01 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TECEP College Algebra petethejuggler 12 1,845 04-24-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior College Writing Cmglaser08 14 1,551 04-19-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  CLEP College Composition = English Comp I + II thecontrarian 2 2,023 07-27-2021, 03:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Average time for college to receive the test scores? sri 1 987 07-22-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: jch
  Excelsior college writing Cmglaser08 1 820 07-15-2021, 12:56 AM
Last Post: rachel83az