Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference liberal arts in arts or sciense
I try to figure out what the difference is between a bachelor in liberal arts in SCIENSE or a bachelor in liberal arts in ARTS.
I think, if i see the description, for the ARTS version you need more arts courses? And they said that the SCIENSE version is easy tested out. Im wondering why?
Is the arts version really more difficult?
(08-12-2019, 07:58 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: I try to figure out what the difference is between a bachelor in liberal arts in SCIENSE or a bachelor in liberal arts in ARTS.
I think, if i see the description, for the ARTS version you need more arts courses? And they said that the SCIENSE version is easy tested out. Im wondering why?
Is the arts version really more difficult?

I'm assuming you're referring to COSC, as they offer either a BS or BA in General Studies (aka Liberal Studies).  It is not a question of one being harder than the other, especially if you're starting from scratch, it is a matter of how many credits are required in the area of Liberal Arts (https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php).  If you are transferring in a bunch of credits that don't fit the criteria of Liberal Art (ie: business courses), then it is likely you'd go the BS route (as the BS allows for more electives).  Also, don't confuse ARTS with art; as many liberal arts topics are not art at all, but sciences - https://www.charteroak.edu/current/acade...ements.php
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • High_Order1
I think they were talking about Excelsior. They have a BS liberal arts and BA liberal arts.
(08-12-2019, 08:28 AM)natshar Wrote: I think they were talking about Excelsior. They have a BS liberal arts and BA liberal arts.

Correct.
(08-12-2019, 11:53 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 08:28 AM)natshar Wrote: I think they were talking about Excelsior. They have a BS liberal arts and BA liberal arts.

Correct.

I just looked at the Excelsior requirements and they are the same scenario as what I posted for COSC - one is not harder than the other, it is just a difference of earned credit options; https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...ts-degree/  VS https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...ts-degree/ . The BA requires more Liberal Arts credits vs the BS has more room for professional (such as business) electives; which gives you an option for a concentration (very limited options at that, and it is not required to have one). So depending on what you have already to transfer in would make the most impact on which degree you'd pursue; starting from scratch would just depend on your plan (& subject interests).  As far as impact on a resume I see no difference in a BALS vs a BSLS - it is still a bachelor in Liberal Studies
Amberton University

I need to evaluate my communication credits. But if i read it well, the difference is only the type of courses you need to take? In my country we dont have this system so its all new to me to choose your own courses.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(08-12-2019, 12:28 PM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: I need to evaluate my communication credits. But if i read it well, the difference is only the type of courses you need to take? In my country we dont have this system so its all new to me to choose your own courses.

Yes, it is all in how your existing credits are evaluated by the school. Communication credits are generally considered a liberal arts subject, so you'll likely have the option of either path - however, a school's definition of liberal arts can vary from course to course.
Amberton University

Thank you.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
No difference in the "weight" of the degree- it's simply that college's "recipe" of credit types to earn their degree. I know you're asking about EC, so there is a specific answer, but that answer changes when you change colleges. For instance, BA vs BS at a different college may be the requirement of a foreign language. My point being that there is no universal difference.
In retrospect, had I been able to go down the path of BS rather than BA, I would have done that. Using my degree to apply for jobs, there is a distinct lean towards a BS as being 'more substantial'. Having legit minors (TESU didn't allow it) would have been preferable, looking back, as well
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are Arts & Science Electives EHC2110 4 947 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,318 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Arts, Sciences and Applied Prof Electives quetions CM1999 3 514 03-30-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: CM1999
Question Arts & Science vs Arts & Science & Applied Professional at Excelsior alsimko 11 3,130 08-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Bachelor of Liberal Studies and the Area of Focus Holmes 8 2,104 01-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: dhillbilly
  Excelsior BS Liberal Arts degree question staxchips1 8 3,310 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  Associates Liberal Arts through JST/CLEP/Sophia AUDACITY4U 8 1,984 10-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UL Arts and Sciences/Applied Professional Credits mrskitty 12 2,370 08-19-2020, 11:14 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Excelsior Bachelors Liberal Arts or Bus Admin template nilahti2 2 1,274 03-21-2020, 01:31 PM
Last Post: TwinMom