Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diploma Mills
Another thread is hinting that a degree without learning and a diploma mill are the same thing. A diploma mill is when a company that is NOT a legal college sells you a piece of paper that says you've received a credential (bachelor's degree, master's degree, etc) from them or someone else.

To be clear: if I earn a degree from TESU, TESU will issue me a degree. They are legally authorized to do that, so I am totally legit.

If I BUY a piece of paper / transcript / diploma / degree from someone that is NOT TESU that says I graduated from TESU - that is fraud. I'm breaking the law in most states.

If start a company called CookDeRosa University, and I'm not accredited as a university or licensed to issue degrees of any kind - BUT I will sell you a degree for $500 that says you attended CookDeRosa University and earned a degree, then we are BOTH breaking the law.

Legal degree earning is pretty cut and dry - it is clear enough what is and isn't legit.

How much someone learns, what someone pays, how long it takes, and the state you are in have nothing to do with the shades of the question. It's black and white.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
[-] The following 6 users Like cookderosa's post:
  • dewisant, edbrain, greencouch, MSK9, Murdockb, Sapientes
Nobody ever said that. You just choose to take it that way.

The guy said that if you're not going to bother to learn as you take courses you might as well just buy your degree. It was meant as criticism, not as a statement on accreditation.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio? - InstantCert Credit
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • bluebooger, Johmford, jsd, zapproximator
I totally took it that way! Thanks for clearing that up Jennifer.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
I agree with Dave, it's not what was meant. And he did have a pretty valid point that I mostly agree with.

That being said, I admit that I didn't get much educational value from learning about the ethics of the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct :p
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (9/32cr), 2021?
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • bluebooger, Johmford
I took it that way, too, and I appreciate the clarification once more that TESU is legit, that it is not just a degree that one can buy, and that the amount and depth of actual learning that occurs with these methods or regular 4 year colleges populated by 18 year olds varies a lot from learner to learner.
*sigh* I must be getting old. I can't seem to find the thread that you all are referring to... and yes, I did a search too!
Can someone please link me? Please and Thanks, I just want to re-read what was said...
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Johmford, MSK9
(02-01-2018, 04:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote: CookDeRosa University

This sounds like a new Culinary School that would fit well in Laguna Beach - Sign Me Up!!!

[Image: lizziegrad2.jpg]
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 1 user Likes RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-01-2018, 07:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: *sigh* I must be getting old.  I can't seem to find the thread that you all are referring to...  and yes, I did a search too!  
Can someone please link me?  Please and Thanks,  I just want to re-read what was said...

Here is the thread...
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...re-credits
-- Jenny --
daughter#1 75/120 cr TESU English
DE-Comp, Liberal Arts Math, Environ Science w/lab, Irish Lit, Comp Apps, Intro Music, Health&Fitness CLEP- A&I Lit,College Comp,Ed Psych, Marketing, American Lit, English Lit, TECEP-Critical Thinking Sophia-Managing Conflict,Teamwork  Onlinedegree -Psych The Institutes-Insurance Ethics Study.com-Presentation Skills in Workplace, World Religions
daughter#2 22/120 cr COSC 
DE-Comp Apps, Composition Sophia-Managing Conflict,Teamwork,Student Success CLEP-A&I Lit,US History 1,Marketing,Info Systems In-process- DE Environ Science w/lab, DE Discovering Majors, CSM Math
(02-01-2018, 05:55 PM)davewill Wrote: Nobody ever said that. You just choose to take it that way.

The guy said that if you're not going to bother to learn as you take courses you might as well just buy your degree. It was meant as criticism, not as a statement on accreditation.

I took it just like this, and he's honestly right. If you are earning credits, you should either (a) learn something or (b) know the material beforehand. In the case of Shmoop, some folks just want to burn through it and finish as many courses as possible in a month without trying to learn anything at all, then justify it by implying something like, "I need a degree in less than six months, and I already have 10 years of life experience, so this doesn't really matter."

Now, if someone has read the Bible 9 times through and took a Bible as Lit class, I wouldn't even care if they sped their way through, because 9 times through any material and you've probably got it memorized as best as possible.
BS Information Technology - Security, Western Governors University, 2017. Journey thread here.
AAS Information Systems Cybersecurity, CC, 2017
AAS Computer Networking, CC, 2017

Certifications: A+, Linux+, Project+, CCNA, CCNA: Security, and CCNP

Credits:
Community College (79cr):
College Algebra (4), Comp I (3), Speech Comm (3), Federal Govt (3), Intro to Humanities (3), IT Courses (63)
WGU (35cr): IT Foundations & Applications (8), Project Management (4), Principles of Management (4), Spreadsheets (3), Database Management (4), Operating Systems I & II (8), IT Capstone (4)
StraighterLine (9cr): Org Behavior (3), Business Stat (3), English Comp II (3)
ALEKS (18cr): [Beginning, Intermediate, & College] Algebra (9), Trig (3), PreCalc (3), Intro to Stats (3)
Free Courses (8cr): Ethics (Institutes), Cyber 101 & 301 (TEEX), Developing Effective Teams & Essentials of Managing Conflict (Sophia)
[-] The following 3 users Like Thorne's post:
  • bluebooger, davewill, jsd
He even explicitly says in the thread that he wasn't implying TESU was a diploma mill.
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (9/32cr), 2021?
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Johmford

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA in Liberal Arts Diploma Plan BrighterFuture88 24 780 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Last Post: allvia
  If the bachelors degree is the new high school diploma? Jwheels27 19 1,237 04-26-2019, 04:13 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  U.S. Diploma mgmar22 5 336 03-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: udi
  Big 3 Schools and Canadian High School Diploma waterpaper 1 647 11-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU without high school diploma ThadF 17 982 01-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Last Post: KayV
  Is Penn Foster High School Diploma Accredited? nurselu 16 1,503 11-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nurselu
  Most Attractive Diploma videogamesrock 13 508 08-19-2015, 06:50 AM
Last Post: JTP
  Charter Oak admission needs 9 College Credits, TESC needs HS Diploma aeilion 9 476 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Devanna
  Diploma Business Management Courses Chennai sskcollege 0 194 10-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Last Post: sskcollege
  Just got my diploma!!!! STG 17 539 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512