Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Discrete Math
If you need Discrete Math and can't pass SDC's course, I found a pretty affordable alternative at Oakton. It's not self-paced but they do have an online class. https://catalog.oakton.edu/course-descri...pline/mat/ I checked the transfer tool and MAT-144 does transfer to TESU as MAT-270 Discrete Mathematics. 

Oakton is $136.25 per credit for online classes with a $25 application fee ($50 for international students). Their application is specifically designed to expect visiting students who just want to take a course or two. They DO accept ACE credits so, hopefully, Sophia's Algebra should satisfy the prerequisites for this course. 

The book is about $150 depending on options. https://www.mheducation.com/highered/pro...62759.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • bluebooger, nomaduser
Wow! they're amazing!
Their courses are close to EA in terms of pricing and accessibility.
I will try to take many courses from them! thanks
(03-29-2021, 03:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you need Discrete Math and can't pass SDC's course, I found a pretty affordable alternative at Oakton. It's not self-paced but they do have an online class. https://catalog.oakton.edu/course-descri...pline/mat/ I checked the transfer tool and MAT-144 does transfer to TESU as MAT-270 Discrete Mathematics. 

Oakton is $136.25 per credit for online classes with a $25 application fee ($50 for international students). Their application is specifically designed to expect visiting students who just want to take a course or two. They DO accept ACE credits so, hopefully, Sophia's Algebra should satisfy the prerequisites for this course. 

The book is about $150 depending on options. https://www.mheducation.com/highered/pro...62759.html

Hi Rachel I was looking to the program they are giving and I was thinking to take data structure in Python they do have in C++ and in Java the data structure course but but I see the transfer tool is not accurate be cause TESU take them as a normal programming course and the Python version is not on the transfer list.
How can I be shore the I can still take this course and will transfer to TESU?

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
Yeah, they're not too bad. I was super impressed with the application process. Slightly more involved than ASU but easier than other colleges/universities so far. As a visiting student, they didn't even ask me for transcripts. All they did was ask me to LIST my college experiences. That might change if I were to sign up for Discrete Math or something else that requires a prerequisite, though.

(03-29-2021, 05:47 PM)gams007 Wrote: Hi Rachel I was looking to the program they are giving and I was thinking to take data structure in Python they do have in C++ and in Java the data structure course but but I see the transfer tool is not accurate be cause TESU take them as a normal programming course and the Python version is not on the transfer list.
How can I be shore the I can still take this course and will transfer to TESU?

You'd need to contact a TESU advisor about the course(s) that you want to take. It not being in the transfer tool doesn't mean that they don't take it. It only means that you'd be the first to transfer it to TESU. You should contact Oakton first and ask for a syllabus for the course(s) you want to take. TESU will want to see them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Quote:Meeting Prerequisites
If you plan to enroll at a course and have taken the prerequisite course at another school, complete our prerequisite process before you register for the class. 

To request a prerequisite override, complete our online Prerequisite Override Request Form (myOakton log-in required). Unoffical transcripts and/or supporting documentation showing you've met the prerequisiste will be uploaded with the form.

Requests will be evaluated within two-three business days from the date received (unless sent via email, process time may be longer). If approved, an online override will be issued, allowing students to register online or in person.

Math prerequisites are processed through our Math Department. Complete their online form for math prerequisite clearance.

If you plan to enroll in a math or English course you may need to meet the prerequisite or placement requirements

Quote:Submitting Transcripts
Submitting high school, college, or AP transcripts are not required for admission to Oakton.  However, many students are able to use these items to meet placement or satisfy a prerequisite requirement.

Transcripts (official or unofficial) can be submitted to Oakton's Enrollment Center in-person, by mail, or via an online submission service (i.e. Parchment).

Official transcripts are kept on your student record and can be used to transfer in prior credit to Oakton in addition to being used for placement or prerequisite requirements. These copies also meet checklist requirements.

Unofficial transcripts can only be used for placement and prerequisite purposes and are not kept on file to be used again. They do not meet checklist requirements.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
So the spring course is 3 credits and the summer course is 4 credits. This does not include books because none are required for these courses. With fees, it works out to between $160 and $170 per credit. That's not bad.

Attached Files
.png   Oakton Costs and Fees.png (Size: 126.26 KB / Downloads: 26)
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
is there a syllabus for each that explains why one is 3 credits and one is 4 ?
(03-31-2021, 07:29 PM)bluebooger Wrote: is there a syllabus for each that explains why one is 3 credits and one is 4 ?

These are not Discrete Math. I am still planning on taking that from SDC. I just thought that anyone planning on going to Oakton would be interested in seeing the actual fee breakdown in a real setting. IMO, it's not always easy to figure out the "real" cost of a class just by reading a school's tuition & fees pages. You can get close but it can be confusing.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(03-31-2021, 08:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 07:29 PM)bluebooger Wrote: is there a syllabus for each that explains why one is 3 credits and one is 4 ?

These are not Discrete Math. I am still planning on taking that from SDC. I just thought that anyone planning on going to Oakton would be interested in seeing the actual fee breakdown in a real setting. IMO, it's not always easy to figure out the "real" cost of a class just by reading a school's tuition & fees pages. You can get close but it can be confusing.

Rachel you are saying that the cost per credit in higher in summer semester, I was planning to take some courses in the summer but if the prices was the same i would take some, but thanks for the advice I will have to think about it.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-31-2021, 08:26 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 08:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

Rachel you are saying that the cost per credit in higher in summer semester, I was planning to take some courses in the summer but if the prices was the same i would take some, but thanks for the advice I will have to think about it.

The tuition is the same. The one in the summer is 4 credits vs. the spring one is 3 credits. The summer activity fee is $3 more than spring and the construction fee (what?) is $2 more. I think these are per-credit fees.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 235 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online associate's degree in math? nomaduser 7 1,380 09-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Last Post: asianphd