Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion - Study.com difference between practice tests and actual exam
How do the study.com tests work? Do i need to go to a testing center like CLEP/DSST? Or is it smply online? I've been trying to find out how these courses work. I am very good at the CLEP/DSST/UEXCEL but I think I could save some money with study.com. Any info provided would be very helpful. Thanks!
Study.com has video lessons followed by unprotected quizzes that count toward your grade, and then a proctored final exam. All is done online, not in person.

I think a small handful have written projects, but those are rare.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
vobrodrew Wrote:How do the study.com tests work? Do i need to go to a testing center like CLEP/DSST? Or is it smply online? I've been trying to find out how these courses work. I am very good at the CLEP/DSST/UEXCEL but I think I could save some money with study.com. Any info provided would be very helpful. Thanks!

To add on to what jsd said, most of the UL courses still have project involved in them. The courses are either out of 150 total points or 300 points. For the 150 point courses you need at least a 105 and for the 300 point courses at least a 210.
Breakdowns of 150 point classes look like this:
50 total points for quizzes (if you get a 100 on all the little quizzes that 50 points leaving you needing a 55 on the final to pass)
100 total points for proctored final

Breakdowns of 300 point classes look like this:
100 total points for quizzes
100 total points for final project (some courses have multiple final project for example the Business 308 has 4 essays)
100 total points for proctored final.

The total points needed on the final would be calculated after you get your grade from the project. So 100 on all quizzes, an 85 on the final project, you would need a 25 on the final. The final projects are reasonably graded from my experience so far. I just submitted my project for Accounting 301
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
TESUAbroad Wrote:Look Gremlinbrawler - you took the minimum effort route and paid the price.
Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't - I think you may be upset about it because you know that you just had to do put in some more effort.
I would take it as a lesson learned, and try to engage the material with more depth, especially if you are struggling with the material.

I personally used the steps below to get past a class I dreaded, Principles of Finance. I am not the best when it comes to math.

TESUAbroad's Study.com learning guide(especially when it is all new content or difficult concepts):

Step 1: Read through and/or watch the videos
Step 2: After each lesson do the quizzes(get 100%, dont accept 80% will help with reinforcement and your grade) Finish all the lessons then go to step 3.
Step 3: Go over the lesson summaries for each chapter, then after you have done this for a chapter, take the chapter exam
Step 4: Go over your chapter exam(right after you took it), what did you get right? What did you get it wrong? - why did it you get it wrong?
(I wouldn't necessarily take the exam again, just take note of what you got wrong and what is right. However, if you did terribly for a chapter exam, retake it a later point)
Step 5: Take the practice exam and get somewhere in the 80s
After this you will most definitely be ready, however, if you still feel unsure
Step 6: Go over flashcards for difficult terms

Good luck and sorry about the setback.

I explained above that I would not be upset if I simply needed to study more but I am upset that the practice tests appear to sometimes be a completely irrelevant measure of your knowledge on the course. I am trying to go at a very accelerated pace so accurate practice tests are important to me. On the other study.com courses I took I was doing good on the practice tests and getting mid 90's as my final grade. I don't want to waste my time preparing for weeks longer than I have to especially because study.com is billed monthly so that's why I would like to be able to count on a practice test to give me a good idea of where I'm at.
I still like study.com better than straighterline so I think I will continue to use it if I don't have too many problems in the future. Thanks for your study tips I'll give them a try.
gremlinbrawler Wrote:I explained above that I would not be upset if I simply needed to study more but I am upset that the practice tests appear to sometimes be a completely irrelevant measure of your knowledge on the course. I am trying to go at a very accelerated pace so accurate practice tests are important to me. On the other study.com courses I took I was doing good on the practice tests and getting mid 90's as my final grade. I don't want to waste my time preparing for weeks longer than I have to especially because study.com is billed monthly so that's why I would like to be able to count on a practice test to give me a good idea of where I'm at.
I still like study.com better than straighterline so I think I will continue to use it if I don't have too many problems in the future. Thanks for your study tips I'll give them a try.

I'm not sure if I or anyone else mentioned this yet, but my son told me that the one course he failed at Study.com was the one he skipped the chapter tests on and only did the practice final. He skipped the chapter tests on Principles of Finance and failed by 2 points, then took again and passed by 2 points. Since then he's been getting final grades of around 87% per course, and the main difference has been that he's begun doing the practice chapter tests along with the practice final the day before he takes the proctored final.

Also - higher level courses are a bit easier to control in terms of your final grade because about 1/3 of the grade is based on projects which you can submit and then re-submit for a higher grade after you get your grade/comments back.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,322 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,478 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 602 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle