Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dishonest TESU & additional math requirements for BA
On this forum as in life, there are people that are givers and people that are takers.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • crotique, OldManOfTheSea, wxcooper
I know you are complaining, but most college students have to sit through a full fifteen weeks of a course that is 100% math. Even with the small amount of math in SOS-110 and whatever method you used to get your math credit for your degree. You probably didn't spend 15 weeks on these things. Because from my understanding of the system, I have yet to see a way to get a bachelor's degree in any subject without taking at least one math class. So even with SOS-110 you are still probably doing less math for your degree than 99% of college graduates.
[-] The following 4 users Like natshar's post:
  • OldManOfTheSea, rachel83az, rpmranger, ss20ts
I, for one, am glad to have been forced to revisit math, reading and writing. When I Initially started on going back to school I wanted to knock it out as cheaply and easily as possible to get that paper so I can understand the frustration. But, I'm actually glad to be learning something and have the opportunity to be challenged at this point,, even though classes like Statistics borked my brain.

Especially knowing I'll be moving into a extremely professional and specialized field where others are performing at high levels.

Happy Holidays and good luck on your journey!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigrivergroup's post:
  • OldManOfTheSea
(12-04-2020, 11:54 AM)bigrivergroup Wrote: I, for one, am glad to have been forced to revisit math, reading and writing. When I Initially started on going back to school I wanted to knock it out as cheaply and easily as possible to get that paper so I can understand the frustration. But, I'm actually glad to be learning something and have the opportunity to be challenged at this point,, even though classes like Statistics borked my brain.

Especially knowing I'll be moving into a extremely professional and specialized field where others are performing at high levels.

Happy Holidays and good luck on your journey!

Stats really hurt my brain. I was sooooo happy when I finished that class! Such a relief. Scary thing is I use a great deal of that info every day and just didn't know it.
People are allowed to come on here and complain about something, without being chastised. I for one, thought that having to take College Algebra and Stats for a business degree was dumb - I worked in the business world for 10+ years and not once used either of those skills. If I needed any type of math at all, Excel did it for me (and an Advanced Excel course would have been MUCH more useful of a skill to learn than Stats).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Probably isn't relevant for business at large but I've worked in HR too long. I would wish my peers knew some basic statistics but they don't. The brightest people don't find their way to this field.
(12-04-2020, 10:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: People are allowed to come on here and complain about something, without being chastised.  I for one, thought that having to take College Algebra and Stats for a business degree was dumb - I worked in the business world for 10+ years and not once used either of those skills.  If I needed any type of math at all, Excel did it for me (and an Advanced Excel course would have been MUCH more useful of a skill to learn than Stats).

I agree with people being allowed to come on here and complain without being chastised. But at least act like somewhat of an adult in the process. Whining about it, being snide and rude to the people trying to help you is far from proper board etiquette. It's also far from the behavior you would expect of an adult university student. I'm pretty sure LevelUP and cerich67 didn't appreciate how they were treated when they were only trying to help.

And taking College Algebra and Stats for a business degree is a pretty good requirement. It gives the student a nice well rounded foundation to build on. If they can't do college algebra or basic stats maybe they shouldn't be going for a business degree. Maybe a degree in something else would be more appropriate. Universities don't want Excel to do the math for you. They want you to be able do the math. Businesses on the other hand don't care who does it, as long as it gets done.

OldManOfTheSea
[-] The following 4 users Like OldManOfTheSea's post:
  • cerich67, crotique, rpmranger, ss20ts
(12-04-2020, 10:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: People are allowed to come on here and complain about something, without being chastised.

Agreed. We're all here to learn and share information. So questions, complaints, and useful observations are always welcome as long as they offer value to the community. One of the great strengths of our forum is that we also have so many members who are willing to offer their time and experience to the rest of the community with no expectation of reward. The best way to encourage this continued behavior is to be courteous as both a questioner and a responder. Derogatory, pejorative, or belittling comments; personal attacks, and similar responses are never acceptable.

(12-04-2020, 10:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I for one, thought that having to take College Algebra and Stats for a business degree was dumb - I worked in the business world for 10+ years and not once used either of those skills.  If I needed any type of math at all, Excel did it for me (and an Advanced Excel course would have been MUCH more useful of a skill to learn than Stats).

I agree with the excel part. While I personally find statistics useful, I would have loved to have had an Excel course as part of the business degree program. Excel is one of the most useful applications out there for business majors. Both an intro and advanced Excel course should really be part of any modern business degree, IMO.

Personally, I use Excel excessively for both business and personal stuff. It is probably the most common tool I use outside of email. I'm well versed in using many of the advanced features of it, but I taught myself by learning features when I needed them. There is still a lot that I could learn I'm sure.

That said, I think knowing algebra (or at least business math) and stats is a reasonable minimum bar on the math side for business people. So if it were me, I'd add Excel, not replace the math with it.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • cerich67, OldManOfTheSea
(12-04-2020, 10:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: People are allowed to come on here and complain about something

True. But at the same time, an open forum means people are going to respond to the complaint as well, and it's important to have a balance where people push back against the complaints.
If you want to see what happens when there's no one to push back against complaints and whinging, check out almost any expat board. Just streams of negativity and bitterness. They're awful places to be, because there's no answering complaints with useful information - just whinging on top of whinging. It ends up only attracting other complainers to the board. The people with actual content to share don't want to stand the negativity, so they leave.

I like that when people post complaints here, they get responses that provide solutions and alternatives. If someone refuses to accept any solutions or alternatives, that's on them - but I wouldn't like the people posting those alternatives to be silenced. I've found a lot of useful info here from those helpful posters, and I don't want to just read whinging.

There's also the irony of chastising people for chastising, but I'll say no more about that one. :-)
[-] The following 2 users Like innen_oda's post:
  • OldManOfTheSea, rachel83az
(12-02-2020, 02:36 PM)Merlin Wrote: Keep in mind that SOS-110 is intended to be the first course that new students take at TESU. The purpose is to teach you how to be effective at online study, make sure you know how to use online resources, and make sure you're ready for more advanced courses. As part of this they test your reading/writing/math skills as well, both to make sure you're ready and to set a baseline.

So you know, they also test this stuff again in the capstone.

If it helps anyone, the math that shows up again in the LIB Capstone is the ETS proficiency profile test. 
Here is a link to TESU's information about that test. On that document is a link to sample questions. Yes, some middle school to high school math is part of it. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OAl6...QKVBE/edit

Before I decided to enroll at TESU, I originally thought I'd stop at an associates at my local community college.  That college uses this ETS test as well as an exit exam, but we have to do the paper version instead of online.  I was in one of the last test dates before covid shut it all down and the college waived it for graduates because can't have people in same room that close anymore.  anyway, I am glad I got the practice for it that way.

If there are other places in the LIB capstone with math, I am not aware yet.  I'll know in a few weeks when I start the capstone.  But I haven't had to take more math courses beyond the CLEP I took for Gen Ed.  I did have to show I knew some math in testing. I tested out of the MyLab completely in SOS110.  I had to do the Nimbly Wise assignments because I didn't get high enough on the pre tests for those. But got through Nimbly in a few days of very concentrated work. I was glad to go through that.  I found it helpful and useful. mileage may vary

ps: the syllabus for SOS110 is available online without being enrolled, and shows the info for MyLab stuff with math is tested. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gyiz...9clfyhgba0 The MyLab Foundational Skills software from Pearson is designed to help you assess your reading, writing, and math skills and improve skills as needed
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 269 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch