Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dishonest TESU & additional math requirements for BA
Wink 
(12-02-2020, 11:57 AM)collegechick Wrote: Just when I thought I'd completed all the math requirements for the BA, here am I being forced to take MORE math in SOS 110 Critical Info Literacy in MyLab.  I was not expecting this and others should be warned.  I thought my capstone would be the stressful course, but SOS 110 is a thorn in my side.  What a gross, useless course!

I chalk this up to the word "literacy" in SOS 110 Critical Info Literacy.

TESU would like their students to be literate in basic reading, writing, and arithmetic. That is the reason for the course - to make sure we as students are competent. If you find you have an area of weakness, they provide the tools to strengthen such, which I welcomed and detested at the same time. Getting caught up NimblyWise was the hair-pulling moment for me.

From what I gather you have the skills, me not so much. I have a lot to master from what I learned in this course.   Shy
[-] The following 1 user Likes crotique's post:
  • ss20ts
There are economic benefits to taking the cornerstone and the capstone at the same time in some situations. Obviously that is not what TESU intended with the design of the requirements. I always encourage taking SOS-110 as soon as one decides to commit to a degree program at TESU. That way the full benefit of the course is provided prior to the remainder of the coursework. It should be obvious that taking the course designed to prepare one for seeking a degree at the same time as the course designed to demonstrate one deserves a degree will result in an odd confluence of work that feels disjointed. Do so if financially necessary but avoid otherwise is my advice.
(12-04-2020, 07:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 11:54 AM)bigrivergroup Wrote: I, for one, am glad to have been forced to revisit math, reading and writing. When I Initially started on going back to school I wanted to knock it out as cheaply and easily as possible to get that paper so I can understand the frustration. But, I'm actually glad to be learning something and have the opportunity to be challenged at this point,, even though classes like Statistics borked my brain.

Especially knowing I'll be moving into a extremely professional and specialized field where others are performing at high levels.

Happy Holidays and good luck on your journey!

Stats really hurt my brain. I was sooooo happy when I finished that class! Such a relief. Scary thing is I use a great deal of that info every day and just didn't know it.

I'm new here so please excuse me if this question has been asked, but is there a better alternative to TESU's Principles of Statistics? It's part of my degree plan but I want to avoid hurting my brain in the process. TIA.
(12-16-2020, 09:23 PM)DC2726 Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 11:54 AM)bigrivergroup Wrote: I, for one, am glad to have been forced to revisit math, reading and writing. When I Initially started on going back to school I wanted to knock it out as cheaply and easily as possible to get that paper so I can understand the frustration. But, I'm actually glad to be learning something and have the opportunity to be challenged at this point,, even though classes like Statistics borked my brain.

Especially knowing I'll be moving into a extremely professional and specialized field where others are performing at high levels.

Stats really hurt my brain. I was sooooo happy when I finished that class! Such a relief. Scary thing is I use a great deal of that info every day and just didn't know it.

I'm new here so please excuse me if this question has been asked, but is there a better alternative to TESU's Principles of Statistics? It's part of my degree plan but I want to avoid hurting my brain in the process. TIA.

Yes, Sophia statistics is a good alternative. Right now, Sophia is just $149/year (there is a thread about this).

What degree are you seeking? In case you haven't noticed, TESU just made some changes to their policies that can make it more difficult to get a degree. More planning needs to be done to be able to get a given degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-16-2020, 09:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 09:23 PM)DC2726 Wrote:

Yes, Sophia statistics is a good alternative. Right now, Sophia is just $149/year (there is a thread about this).

What degree are you seeking? In case you haven't noticed, TESU just made some changes to their policies that can make it more difficult to get a degree. More planning needs to be done to be able to get a given degree.
Thank you kindly for your reply. I've been trying to get my degree in psychology for many years but life keeps getting in the way. I just got the email about TESU's credit transfer policy but feel that getting credit for statistics would help a great deal. Will plan on taking Sophia's Intro to Stats in Jan. Thanks again.
FYI, the Sophia deal is only good until the end of the month. After that, it'll be $79/mo.

Do you already have credits, RA or otherwise? There is a psychology degree plan on the wiki but it's going to need updating with this new information.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Ok, thanks for the heads up on the Sophia deal - I'll adjust my plan. I have 51 credits at TESU but will look for the wiki plan you refer to. You are very kind and helpful - thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DC2726's post:
  • rachel83az
(12-16-2020, 09:43 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There is a psychology degree plan on the wiki but it's going to need updating with this new information.

I wonder if we could figure out a basic GenEd roadmap that uses 24 cheap RA credits (lots of TEL, I guess). Once that's done, all the rest of the plans you've put in the wiki could stay mostly the same, since they'd be under or at the 90 'non-collegiate credit' allowance.
(12-16-2020, 10:06 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 09:43 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There is a psychology degree plan on the wiki but it's going to need updating with this new information.

I wonder if we could figure out a basic GenEd roadmap that uses 24 cheap RA credits (lots of TEL, I guess). Once that's done, all the rest of the plans you've put in the wiki could stay mostly the same, since they'd be under or at the 90 'non-collegiate credit' allowance.

It's really hard to plan that, since most people come in with some credits; and most of the credits are Gen Eds, meaning they'll work mostly where you think they will.  But I will create a "TEL courses for GE @ TESU" and then one for COSC as well, similiar to what I created for Sophia at the Big 3.  That should help people figure out where everything will go.

rachel83az, I will give them to you to put on the wiki since you seem to be the master of that, if you want?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-16-2020, 11:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's really hard to plan that, since most people come in with some credits; and most of the credits are Gen Eds, meaning they'll work mostly where you think they will.  But I will create a "TEL courses for GE @ TESU" and then one for COSC as well, similiar to what I created for Sophia at the Big 3.  That should help people figure out where everything will go.

True, although given some of questions/posts I've seen here since TESU's announcement, people are struggling with how to calculate the most effective use of credits and time, and might benefit from a little bit of hand-holding. I would also imagine that people coming in with credits will have RA credits already, so any that replace TEL credits won't make much difference. Maybe two columns, one of the cheap RA option, and the other of a cheap/recommended ACE option?

Though in looking over the GenEds, the TESU BA and the TESU BSBA have a slightly different format (though I guess TEL Quant Analysis + College Algebra would work for the two maths in the BSBA?), so one generic GenEd plan wouldn't work anyway. Would be nice to figure something out - a lot of work has gone into those degree plans, and i think they're very helpful, so I'd like to see them continue.

A word of warning: TEL's Public Speaking course (Communication, I think it's called?) looks like a MASSIVE amount of work. I was considering taking it, until I read through the structure. 5 speeches, include two given to a group of at least 7 people, with very specific requirements about showing your full body on film, displaying a card, etc etc. It involves a mini-project, which could be interesting for the right person in the right situation - but for someone who just wants to get public speaking over and done with, I think Sophia or SDC would be worth using an ACE slot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 729 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch