Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance Learning Systems - Ouch, too costly
I don't know how they got to me by email, but they sent me an email with some info about classes/courses that are ACE recommended for credit.

I would NOT chose them as the courses are EXPENSIVE.   Link: https://dlsii.com/admission/programcost/...arison.php

They do have some courses that aren't found elsewhere for cheap, but come to think of it, most if not all are found on Study.com already.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Most of their courses duplicate CLEP exams. Even without ModernStates paying for exams, it's a bit ridiculous to base their catalog entirely on GE credits that have more popular and more widely-accepted options.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
But if you need 'Beer and Wine in Western Culture' for transfer and you can't find it anyplace else, DLS has it.

(06-12-2021, 06:51 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Most of their courses duplicate CLEP exams. Even without ModernStates paying for exams, it's a bit ridiculous to base their catalog entirely on GE credits that have more popular and more widely-accepted options.

This sounds even worse: 'You will get access to the lectures, Instructor, e-book, extra resources, quizzes and assignments as soon as you enroll in a course. You will then get access to each week’s material the Friday before the week starts.'
So it's similar to other places but more expensive . . . AND isn't self-paced?
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • TacticalTechie
$263.33/cr and it's ACE?? And you can get at least 50% of these free from MS/CLEP? And the remaining ones via DSST for $89+fees, and a few via UExcel (RA credit). Or TECEP's (RA).

Let's not forget, you can get the "nursing" courses through Portage Learning/Geneva College (RA) for just $198/cr. Self-paced.

I don't even know why this place exists...the Beer course is literally the ONLY thing that is not available through the usual places...and you can probably find it at a CC for less...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-13-2021, 01:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: $263.33/cr and it's ACE?? And you can get at least 50% of these free from MS/CLEP?  And the remaining ones via DSST for $89+fees, and a few via UExcel (RA credit). Or TECEP's (RA).

Let's not forget, you can get the "nursing" courses through Portage Learning/Geneva College (RA) for just $198/cr.  Self-paced.

I don't even know why this place exists...the Beer course is literally the ONLY thing that is not available through the usual places...and you can probably find it at a CC for less...

That's REALLY pricy for ACE credit. For $226.88 a credit, you can attend Fort Hayes State University which would give you RA credit which is more valuable if you're looking to attend TESU or COSC due to the RA credit requirements.

I wonder how long they've had this price and how many students they've had. Sophia used to be something like $349 per class then it became free for like 6 months when the pandemic started. Then they gave users a chance to buy a year long membership for $150 and it included a year long free membership for a friend. Now it's $79 a month. I'm sure waaaaaaay more people are using it for $79 a month than people did when it was $349 per class. For $349 a class, many state schools especially community colleges are cheaper.
(06-13-2021, 01:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 01:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: $263.33/cr and it's ACE?? And you can get at least 50% of these free from MS/CLEP?  And the remaining ones via DSST for $89+fees, and a few via UExcel (RA credit). Or TECEP's (RA).

Let's not forget, you can get the "nursing" courses through Portage Learning/Geneva College (RA) for just $198/cr.  Self-paced.

That's REALLY pricy for ACE credit. For $226.88 a credit, you can attend Fort Hayes State University which would give you RA credit which is more valuable if you're looking to attend TESU or COSC due to the RA credit requirements.

I wonder how long they've had this price and how many students they've had. Sophia used to be something like $349 per class then it became free for like 6 months when the pandemic started. Then they gave users a chance to buy a year long membership for $150 and it included a year long free membership for a friend. Now it's $79 a month. I'm sure waaaaaaay more people are using it for $79 a month than people did when it was $349 per class. For $349 a class, many state schools especially community colleges are cheaper.

Let's not even forget, all of these courses are LL.  So you can go to any number of CC's for less; plus a few 4yr schools.

Again, I'm not seeing the point of this provider at all.

Looks like they're fairly new - they got a group of their courses ACE-recommended in Nov 1, 2020, and then another group March 1, 2021. They had some in 2017, all of which have expired...

I wonder why we haven't heard of them before?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-13-2021, 01:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't even know why this place exists...the Beer course is literally the ONLY thing that is not available through the usual places...and you can probably find it at a CC for less...

I'd love to see similar ACE courses like the beer & wine course. Instead of ACE provider #927464 bringing out yet another boring generic course collection of intro to psych, intro to sociology, us history I and II, macroeconomics, eng comp I and II, etc etc, why not have 'Chocolate in Western Culture' or 'Cumin in Eastern Culture' or 'Intro to Permaculture'? I might not pay $75/cr for a 'typical' ACE course, I'd absolutely consider it for something that is interesting and unique. Some of them I might not even care if they fit into my course plan, and would simply take them in genuine interest.

Of course, at DLS' pricing of $260/cr, this is all moot anyway. If it was $200/cr and RA, it'd be worth consideration.

(06-13-2021, 01:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia used to be something like $349 per class
Sophia could charge a premium because their format was uniquely excellent, and they had a few rare offerings - though even then, I think most of us waited for the $99/course sales anyway.

Providers need to realise that they need to either compete on price, on convenience, or on offerings. If it's not very cheap (e.g. TEL and ONU at $50-67/cr for RA), very convenient (ASU's EA, which is super user friendly and makes it easy to add and audit courses), very diverse (SDC which offers a massive range, and Sophia which has most of the basics, plus quite a few courses not found elsewhere), no one's going to bother.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az
I think that they're stuck on "everyone needs gen eds, so we'll offer gen eds". That's not a bad idea, per se, but even within gen eds there is some wiggle room. Something like "the history of the railroad in the US" could be quite popular among some students while possibly serving as a US History credit at some schools.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
'History of the Railroad in the US' in place of US Hist I, and 'History of the Automobile in the US' in place of US Hist II would probably be a much more useful context for understanding the genesis of the America we know today.
[-] The following 2 users Like innen_oda's post:
  • Johann, rachel83az
Indeed. Good areas for advanced scholarship, too. I remember an article about an 80+ year-old British man who had just completed his Doctorate (at Oxford, IIRC) on 19th-C historical aspects of railways in UK.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,572 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 283 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 283 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,101 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,348 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 825 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,126 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,025 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Ways to Use ChatGPT for Language Learning? LevelUP 1 532 01-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Genius Group (Amazon of Lifelong Learning) bjcheung77 0 390 10-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77