Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ditch UoPeople for Walden?
I have always felt like an MBA is completely out of my reach, but had considered it for several years.  I stumbled upon UoPeople and decided to apply since the program is low cost.  I figured it would be a good place to give things a try without losing too much money.  The current semester just started and I am enrolled in the Marketing class.  The first week has basically 3 writing assignments off the bat.  And a list of chapters to read. As many of you know, this program is also peer reviewed.  I am not sure how I feel about this format.  It is basically just reading and writing 2-3 papers every week.

Thanks to this forum, I found out about the free term at Walden for the MBA program starting next month. Free is a great price for trying it out.  I have signed up for this program as well.  

I thought about staying in the UoPeople class to get some practice in on writing in APA 7.  I haven’t written a paper since 1996-97, so I am pretty rusty.  As I sat down to start writing, I felt a little lost.  No real interactive direction from the professor.  I am not sure if this is normal for an online program.  Do the professors ever record a lecture or something with these online classes?

I work full time (from home) and have a part time job that I work as needed.  Even with almost 20 years of working and a BA degree, I often feel underemployed.  That’s why I constantly consider going back to school.  I just want something that would help me get a better pay and more stability than my Sociology degree got me.   (Frequently considering HR).

So would you try to muddle through the UoPeople class now (and it would overlap with Walden) or scrap that and instead do other preparation to help with acceleration on the Walden program?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Maybe get through this one class, learn as much as you can and get up to speed on writing good papers. USE this course to improve your skills.

As you get near the end of the term you should have a better feel for what you ought to do. I'm assuming in the MBA program you don't pay anything until right near the end of the term?

The Walden offer seems like a really good deal if you hit the ground running. By the time this UoPeople term is over there might be other good options that pop up besides Walden.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • Vle045
(04-12-2021, 01:39 AM)StoicJ Wrote: Maybe get through this one class, learn as much as you can and get up to speed on writing good papers. USE this course to improve your skills.

As you get near the end of the term you should have a better feel for what you ought to do. I'm assuming in the MBA program you don't pay anything until right near the end of the term?

The Walden offer seems like a really good deal if you hit the ground running. By the time this UoPeople term is over there might be other good options that pop up besides Walden.

That was kind of my original thought.  Right now, I am not considered a “degree-seeking” student.  I still have to have someone write me a recommendation letter and pass all the foundation classes.  I only have to pay if I decide to take the tests at the end of the classes.and become a degree seeking student.

I have also been doing the Saylor Academy classes to try to get back in the groove.  (Certificates only so far).  I decided to try one as a competency type class.  I took the certificate quiz for the HR certificate before going through the course and got an 82.  But the marketing class is a lot harder.  I am still going through the material and when I tried the test, I was in the 60’s.  So I am continuing to go through the material.  I am afraid to try the accounting type classes, but maybe I will try a few more tests to see what I might know already.

Have there been deals similar to the one at Walden?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Hello, I am taking graduate classes in education at University of the People. A couple things to keep in mind: until you are enrolled as a degree-seeking student, you cannot receive a transcript or transfer out any of your credits. Also, for the foundations classes, you pay at the end of each course as you go, not at the end of the foundations period. At least, that's how it's worked for me. So if you just want to take the course for the experience and then transfer somewhere else, that's fine, but you won't be able to transfer the course for credit.

I don't believe the masters courses have tests or exams. In education, the fee is paid at the end of the course with no exam. It's called an assessment fee.

I haven't taken any of the Walden courses, but my understanding is that their self-paced stuff is pretty much reading and writing, as well. Maybe they have video lectures? Someone else would have to speak to that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • Vle045
(04-12-2021, 09:06 AM)wow Wrote: Hello, I am taking graduate classes in education at University of the People. A couple things to keep in mind: until you are enrolled as a degree-seeking student, you cannot receive a transcript or transfer out any of your credits. Also, for the foundations classes, you pay at the end of each course as you go, not at the end of the foundations period. At least, that's how it's worked for me. So if you just want to take the course for the experience and then transfer somewhere else, that's fine, but you won't be able to transfer the course for credit.

I don't believe the masters courses have tests or exams. In education, the fee is paid at the end of the course with no exam. It's called an assessment fee.

I haven't taken any of the Walden courses, but my understanding is that their self-paced stuff is pretty much reading and writing, as well. Maybe they have video lectures? Someone else would have to speak to that.

Thanks.  I am considering not going for any credit and just using it as a study/experience opportunity.

The guy at Walden said it will be a mixture of media.  Some courses will have papers.  Some will have quizzes.  They do transfer in from UoPeople from what I have seen on other threads here.   You might want to look in to it while they still have this free term.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Hellenic American University still has their program for $3,000 USD, Regional Accredited on offer.

I choose to do and started 2 weeks ago and so far quite enjoying
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
I would use U of People as the "study/experience" option and for Walden, just take a course or two, don't need to rush through finishing anything. Walden is RA and accepts both Regionally Accredited/Nationally accredited , even internationally accredited schools for transfer credit, up to 50% transfer to boot. If I was in your shoes, I would finish the Marketing course at U of P and transfer it into Walden. When the freebie term is done, pause it and leave it until there is a discount... I would then continue taking more courses at U of P to transfer back into the Walden program and see if you want to finish with them, decide then.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-12-2021, 10:49 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would use U of People as the "study/experience" option and for Walden, just take a course or two, don't need to rush through finishing anything.  Walden is RA and accepts both Regionally Accredited/Nationally accredited , even internationally accredited schools for transfer credit, up to 50% transfer to boot.  If I was in your shoes, I would finish the Marketing course at U of P and transfer it into Walden.  When the freebie term is done, pause it and leave it until there is a discount...  I would then continue taking more courses at U of P to transfer back into the Walden program and see if you want to finish with them, decide then.

That is an interesting approach although I think it said the free or discount term is for “new“ students.  No mention of returning students.  Do you know for sure if that is an option?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(04-12-2021, 06:04 AM)Vle045 Wrote: That was kind of my original thought.  Right now, I am not considered a “degree-seeking” student.  I still have to have someone write me a recommendation letter and pass all the foundation classes.  I only have to pay if I decide to take the tests at the end of the classes.and become a degree seeking student.

I have also been doing the Saylor Academy classes to try to get back in the groove.  (Certificates only so far).  I decided to try one as a competency type class.  I took the certificate quiz for the HR certificate before going through the course and got an 82.  But the marketing class is a lot harder.  I am still going through the material and when I tried the test, I was in the 60’s.  So I am continuing to go through the material.  I am afraid to try the accounting type classes, but maybe I will try a few more tests to see what I might know already.

Have there been deals similar to the one at Walden?

I am an undergrad student at UoPeople. A big part of my choosing UoPeople is the geographically and culturally diverse student body. So far, my studies at UoPeople have FORCED me tailor my writing and comments to an audience I am not used to addressing. I think that is a big benefit. Right now I live and work in the USA, but I have lived overseas and have business interests in Latin America. I am working on additional business ventures, and plan on expatriating permanently in the next couple of years. 

You asked if there have been deals similar to the one at Walden. There are deals that seem to come up now and then. Hellenic just had a really good one, IMO. Just dig deeper in this section and you'll see others. And there's the sister forum. I don't think you necessarily need to commit to a program real soon, but you know you better  Smile
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
cerich67 Wrote:Hellenic American University still has their program for $3,000 USD, Regional Accredited on offer.

I choose to do and started 2 weeks ago and so far quite enjoying

@Vle045 - I highly recommend this option to you as well. I was going to start the program, I've got that "deferred or delayed" until June 7 as I have a few things to do right now. I am still really debating as there are live sessions, two a week. If I can change my schedule around it, then it's a really good program, you can just take 1 or 2 courses a term and if you need, up to 2 years to finish the degree for a whopping $3K!

(04-12-2021, 10:54 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 10:49 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would use U of People as the "study/experience" option and for Walden, just take a course or two, don't need to rush through finishing anything.  Walden is RA and accepts both Regionally Accredited/Nationally accredited , even internationally accredited schools for transfer credit, up to 50% transfer to boot.  If I was in your shoes, I would finish the Marketing course at U of P and transfer it into Walden.  When the freebie term is done, pause it and leave it until there is a discount...  I would then continue taking more courses at U of P to transfer back into the Walden program and see if you want to finish with them, decide then.

That is an interesting approach although I think it said the free or discount term is for “new“ students.  No mention of returning students.  Do you know for sure if that is an option?

There is no "guarantee" for discounts on anything, practically any purchase out there, including tuition at any school. As a precaution and a possible work around, I would just take the hit for a term at $2700. If you finish two terms, it'll be just $2700 for the MBA - again, this program at Walden or the HAU option is a very good choice, you should decide which is better for you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,190 03-27-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 4 325 03-25-2024, 09:06 PM
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,348 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,448 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,432 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors? mastersDegreeDecision 7 1,585 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,258 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  Walden University Fast Track PhD feedback Johmford 1 938 01-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,145 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Walden psychology ARV095 5 920 12-22-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: ARV095