Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do AAS degree courses transfer into TESU?
Hello all,
My son is considering taking classes in a Broadcasting Production Technology program at our local comm college.  If he wanted to later pursue the BA in Communications at TESU could these courses work towards that degree?  The courses have a prefix of BPT and have course titles like: Introduction to Broadcasting, Broadcast Law & Ethics, Broadcast Speech I and II, Broadcast Writing, Broadcast Sales, etc.

Thanks
I was doing an AAS in CJ prior to enrollment, and it was foreign and TESU took all my credits. As long as it is a regionally accredited school or equivalent, then yes, TESU will take it.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • magflo
(10-24-2018, 07:21 PM)magflo Wrote: Hello all,
My son is considering taking classes in a Broadcasting Production Technology program at our local comm college.  If he wanted to later pursue the BA in Communications at TESU could these courses work towards that degree?  The courses have a prefix of BPT and have course titles like: Introduction to Broadcasting, Broadcast Law & Ethics, Broadcast Speech I and II, Broadcast Writing, Broadcast Sales, etc.

Thanks

Based on the degree requirements it should transition nicely (https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/communications). Gen Eds are Gen Eds, so those should easily come over to TESU.  Now some of his AOS in the AAS may fall into Electives due to the need for him to earn the UL AOS credit (as some AAS programs are heavy in the total number of AOS LL courses), but no reason to believe that any credits earn in the AAS would be lost (or wasted).

The real question on this forum would be what are the UL alternative options that currently exist for the TESU BA in Communications (as he'll probably have all he needs for the LL with the AAS credits).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • magflo
To know for sure, you'd have to compare the AAS courses to the TESU requirements. There's no way to make a blanket assertion.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • magflo
Thank you all for your responses. @davewill: Aside from making a course by course comparison I wasn't sure if those types of courses were even accepted in transfer so these answers assure me that it could be possible. @allvia: great points! There's not a lot of chatter here on the communications degree but I did find a degree plan dfrecore posted that gives some idea.
TESU transfers individual courses rather than degrees. It's a matter of whether a particular course fits into the degree plan.

CSU Global has many communications CBEs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-24-2018, 07:21 PM)magflo Wrote: Hello all,

Thanks

technically, the *degree* doesn't transfer in, rather TESU will evaluate each of your credits individually. Also, unless you're going to enroll right now, degree planning this far in advance is risky. If the AAS is important for your career, get the AAS. Worry about how to work it into a bachelor's later. If the BA is the most important, then go that direction.
The average AAS is going to have more credits than an AA/AS, so depending on how it all shakes out, you may end up with some unused 100/200 level credit. If you want that degree for your career, then go for it. (PS I have a son in a similar situation who is earning an AAS via our community college in his field, separately he'll get a bachelor's at one of the big 3, but the bachelor's checks the box where his AAS gives him the skills- so they serve different purposes)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 771 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,987 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 170 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 237 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 366 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 265 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM