Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I have to use the same books in Straighterline courses?
Hi,

I am new poster to the forum but have been reading threads for awhile =). I am considering going with Straighterline with the following courses:

English 102
Intro to Communication
Anatomy and Physiology 1&2
Microbiology
Medical Terminology

And possibly but not defiantly:
Intro to Statistics
Calculus 2

My question is do I have to buy the book they use? I live in a college town where students frequently dump their textbooks at the Goodwill after they finish a class. At times there have been large collections of textbooks ranging from nursing to psychology to business to engineering! Each book is roughly $2-$5 so I was curious how necessary it is to have the same books?
SL Calc 2 does not use a textbook since it is just optional video lectures, optional homework, and six exams. Unlike SL calc 1, I didn't like a few of the videos in calc 2. If you feel like you need a different perspective from a textbook, the calc textbook would be a good $5 investment.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
you want to get the electronic searchable books that Straighterline uses.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Good news on the Mircobiology and Intro to Stats- there is a free textbook offered since the course is through Saylor. I would assume that, like lower level communication classes at regular colleges, intro to communication is fairly easy and intuitive- textbook probably optional.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure if they had quizzes and tests where it was just essential to have the textbook. As far as A and P 1&2. I have several books because my Dad is a nurse so I was hoping to use them. Are the e-textbooks just easier to navigate and find the answers?
teacher2 Wrote:Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure if they had quizzes and tests where it was just essential to have the textbook. As far as A and P 1&2. I have several books because my Dad is a nurse so I was hoping to use them. Are the e-textbooks just easier to navigate and find the answers?

A thousand times yes. I think the main reason people buy the physical copies is because they find them dirt cheap on ebay.

In your situation, I would suggest trying it with the textbooks your dad has. Get a few units in and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, then buy/rent the suggested book.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
Pretty Sure English 102 you just need to read Frankenstein which is free online. Don't think there is a book for it.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Pretty Sure English 102 you just need to read Frankenstein which is free online. Don't think there is a book for it.

That's great!

Looked at my degree requirements again and looks like I have to take a philosophy class as well. So it will either be straighterline or the ECE test -hadn't found a test center yet.
teacher2 Wrote:Hi,

I am new poster to the forum but have been reading threads for awhile =). I am considering going with Straighterline with the following courses:

English 102
Intro to Communication
Anatomy and Physiology 1&2
Microbiology
Medical Terminology

And possibly but not defiantly:
Intro to Statistics
Calculus 2

My question is do I have to buy the book they use? I live in a college town where students frequently dump their textbooks at the Goodwill after they finish a class. At times there have been large collections of textbooks ranging from nursing to psychology to business to engineering! Each book is roughly $2-$5 so I was curious how necessary it is to have the same books?

The only time you need the exact book/version (doesn't really matter if it's the international version) is when it's open book exam.
If you're doing the closed book exams, you really don't need the exact version, it could be a revision or two off... there was one I had that was 6 revisions off.
I didn't care as long as most of the materials are the same, it's the open book exams that the ProctorU staff checked my e-books.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'll echo everyone else. Get the books, get the correct edition. Make sure you get it in a searchable form (form the tests). They're all pretty cheap. I bought two copies of most, one i electronic version, one physical (to read). It's doable without them, but not worth the trouble.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 93 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 380 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,687 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,797 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,397 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,809 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares