Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do any of the big 3 have education BAs?
(01-27-2019, 05:37 PM)allvia Wrote: What about WGU - https://www.wgu.edu/online-teaching-degrees.html

Can that be completed without having to do any additional courses if I already have sufficient credit? Or do they have a minimum number of credits that must be earned through them?
They only allow 90 to come in, but it might still be closer than anywhere else.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(01-27-2019, 03:22 PM)Pelican Wrote: It has been a year since I posted this question. Has there been any changes in the availability of an education degree from the Big Three? I have many education credits from various schools and don't want them to go to waste.

Was your question about you or your friend? I thought you already had a bachelor's degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Both myself and a friend are in a similar situation. I have a first BA, but having a second in Education would be better and since I have lots of education credits thought it wouldn't need much time or money.
(01-27-2019, 06:54 PM)Pelican Wrote: Both myself and a friend are in a similar situation. I have a first BA, but having a second in Education would be better and since I have lots of education credits thought it wouldn't need much time or money.

Why would a second degree in education be better? Which state are you in? A lot of K-12 teachers don't have education degrees, and it's often preferred that teachers have a degree related to the subject they're teaching. You've been asking about several different majors on both forums for the past couple of years.

Even if the Big 3 offered bachelor's degrees in education, they wouldn't lead to a teaching certification. I liked the advice you received over a year ago. Just go for a master's degree. There are a lot of cheap ones that are certification programs and non-certification programs. WGU has certification programs. Walden University has a competency-based master's degree program in early childhood studies that is not for certification. I think you might have missed Walden's first term free deal, but their Tempo Learning programs are still cheap.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • quigongene
I think we pretty clearly answered your original question: the Big 3 don't have education degrees, and even if they did, it probably is not necessary in your state to get one. You can get certified as a teacher in most states without an education degree: you just need to take the certification test and get your student teaching done (usually 1 or 2 terms I think).

Here where I live, you're recommended to get a math degree if you want to teach math, an English degree if you want to teach English, a science degree if you want to teach science, etc. And there is absolutely no need to get a degree in education if you already have a degree in ANYTHING at all, as long as you can pass the test you need for where you want to teach (so if you had a business degree but wanted to teach life science in a high school, you'd need to pass the 9-12 biology test).

If you really want a degree in education + get your teaching certificate as well, then you could do WGU. They will make you do a good portion of the degree iwth them though- there's not a lot you can bring in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My recommendation is to skip the WGU BEd and going for the Walden MS Education degree as they have extended their FREE term until Feb 3. Even if you can't finish in 1 term, a second term for $1800 is all that is required for this Masters. Good luck to you and the friend.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-27-2019, 07:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think we pretty clearly answered your original question: the Big 3 don't have education degrees, and even if they did, it probably is not necessary in your state to get one.  You can get certified as a teacher in most states without an education degree: you just need to take the certification test and get your student teaching done (usually 1 or 2 terms I think).

Here where I live, you're recommended to get a math degree if you want to teach math, an English degree if you want to teach English, a science degree if you want to teach science, etc.  And there is absolutely no need to get a degree in education if you already have a degree in ANYTHING at all, as long as you can pass the test you need for where you want to teach (so if you had a business degree but wanted to teach life science in a high school, you'd need to pass the 9-12 biology test).

If you really want a degree in education + get your teaching certificate as well, then you could do WGU.  They will make you do a good portion of the degree iwth them though- there's not a lot you can bring in.

I agree. She should either complete a master's program that leads to a teaching certification, or get the certification first and complete an education master's afterward. It doesn't make sense to get a bachelor's or master's in education if you aren't certified. 

If she can't afford to do student teaching for a term or two (this is unpaid work), then she should see if her state has an alternative teaching certification pathway that will allow her to teach with a provisional license until she meets the experience requirement.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Education ECTS rachel83az 2 1,247 11-21-2022, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Affordable DEAC/NCCRS NA - Bachelors in Education bjcheung77 0 781 01-20-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEL Learning (RA) - General Education Credits bjcheung77 14 3,740 11-26-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77