Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do-over - what career would you pick?
(05-23-2019, 05:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: On the other end is the State of Texas. What they pay employees of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice is disgraceful, and they wonder why they can't find enough people to work in their prisons or monitor parolees. They do get a decent retirement, but they'll take 11% out of every paycheck.

Well, you'll be happy to know that CA will crash and burn one of these days, and State employees won't be getting nearly the retirement benefits they thought they would.  There is NO POSSIBLE WAY we can pay all of those retirees.  It's estimated that CA has a $1Trillion unfunded pension liability between state and local, and the hinky accounting they allow make it impossible to know for certain.  We will be fleeing the state in about 3 years, to sell our house before the market crashes and people start heading for the hills (I give it 10-15 years).

Yeah, I know that doesn't make it better to live in a state that is on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Sorry.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
(05-23-2019, 06:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 05:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: On the other end is the State of Texas. What they pay employees of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice is disgraceful, and they wonder why they can't find enough people to work in their prisons or monitor parolees. They do get a decent retirement, but they'll take 11% out of every paycheck.

Well, you'll be happy to know that CA will crash and burn one of these days, and State employees won't be getting nearly the retirement benefits they thought they would.  There is NO POSSIBLE WAY we can pay all of those retirees.  It's estimated that CA has a $1Trillion unfunded pension liability between state and local, and the hinky accounting they allow make it impossible to know for certain.  We will be fleeing the state in about 3 years, to sell our house before the market crashes and people start heading for the hills (I give it 10-15 years).

Yeah, I know that doesn't make it better to live in a state that is on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Sorry.

We're not going broke. We're just hiring immigrants to work in the prisons (but can't find enough), prison staff members are being assaulted and murdered due to shortcuts being taken, and many parolees are going unsupervised for months at a time. I'm sure there's a happy medium.
PhD (in progress)
Masters and Graduate Certificate
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-23-2019, 05:20 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Actively working on my "do-over" from law enforcement to medicine. I only have a handful of pre-req classes to finish and am submitting my applications to medical school for next year's class. So, thusly, my goal is to become a physician, and my dream is to become a surgeon.  Big Grin I'd encourage anyone who wants it to pursue it. There's always a way to make it work.

My brother just graduated medical school last week and begins residency as an ER Physician next month. It is a rigorous journey and you will miss family events/milestones but if it is your passion then it is very rewarding. Good luck on your journey!
Beginning Fall 2019

Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Management
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Expected June 30, 2019

Bachelor of Science (BS) - Biology
East Central University
Conferred 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Career changes in a lifetime Ideas 8 314 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  For those of you who have completely switched career fields... Nodaclu 25 1,328 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Nodaclu
  Career Options kalishakti 21 1,324 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  HR career with Management Degree? Regards 6 1,510 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are you taking courses more for personal development than career development? StoicJ 11 914 06-03-2017, 04:24 PM
  Professional career coach? SuzanneD 3 367 06-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Career Question: Forensics or Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) Jesusfreak97 4 1,078 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM
  Need Career Advice/To Vent Tedium 16 692 03-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Last Post: High_Order1
  A little career success...finally! rebel100 12 576 12-27-2015, 01:05 AM
Last Post: jawbreakingrr
  Strategic Career Planning Guide Prloko 1 290 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Last Post: SuzanneD