Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do professors actually care?
Life Long Learning Wrote:I find CC Instructors excellent,:hurray: but I find University professors lazy.:toetap:

Some of the best teachers I've ever had were CC instructors. A few really good ones at the university.

But, by far, the WORST experience I've had was at a 4-yr college. The Calc instructor wasn't actually the teacher we were supposed to have, but a grad student who did not speak English well enough for ANYONE in the class to understand her. After the first test, she yelled at everyone and said we weren't studying hard enough, because every single person in the class flunked the test. This was Calculus for Engineering Majors - not a bunch of dummies for sure!!!

That soured me on 4-yr colleges for a good long time after that. And college in general...

To get back on track with the thread, the one class I took that was online was actually a hybrid course - part online, part in-class - at my CC. The instructor was very good, and did a good job of managing the online portion of the class. There was some good spirited debate online, and he would jump in with a question here and there, so we knew he was actually paying attention. He graded everything on time, and I was very happy with the course overall.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I feel the whole educational system is flawed to where apathy should be expected. Not to excuse bad behavior but everything is so rigid and punitive to the point where students develop anxiety disorders and professors become bitter rule enforcers. Everything for the silly concept of credit hours, sitting in auditoriums and over priced text books just all needs to go away. We are just now seeing the beginning of the old structure collapsing as the modern world just doesn't need or can really afford an outdated education system. Things like coding bootcamps, CBE and Khan Academy are just the beginning. VR, simulation or some crazy hologram thing no one has thought of yet should replace most but not all of traditional education. I remember driving in snow 45 mins for a History of the US class in CC. How silly. I think I learned more about history from documentaries than that class. That might be my walking up hill both ways story as I age. I hope the younger kids get a really cool hologram interactive professor. End rant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Care - Masters from Spain! bjcheung77 13 3,604 01-22-2023, 01:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Higher Ed Professors?? futuremrsmlb 3 1,065 05-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Last Post: cookderosa