Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do the Big Three Accept Credits from DEAC Sources?
(04-27-2019, 10:45 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 10:18 AM)Old Guy Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 06:35 PM)sanantone Wrote: While national accreditors may not have standards that are as high as regional accreditors

I wasn't aware that the USDOE has separate standards for different accreditors.  The reason I wasn't aware is that they don't.  National accreditation has lesser acceptance but a lot of that is snobbery.

Excelsior is quite generous with nationally accredited school transfers, more so if the school is accredited under the USDOE umbrella rather than under CHEA alone.

https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/transfe...d-schools/
Just because USDOE doesn't have different standards for different accreditors doesn't mean the accreditors themselves don't have higher standards for schools to achieve their seal of approval.
Exactly. USDOE sets a bare minimum standard for accreditors to be recognized for financial aid purposes. Beyond that, different accreditors have different standards for their schools. 

It's easier and faster for new schools to obtain national accreditation. I dealt with ACCSC standards at a school I worked for, and their standards were pretty low.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-27-2019, 03:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: I dealt with ACCSC standards at a school I worked for, and their standards were pretty low.

Vocational schools have low standards?  Not exactly a surprise.

Whether regionally accredited Podunk Affirmative Action College provides a superior education to random nationally accredited schools is anyone's guess.  I am not sure I have actually seen any school from any accrediitor lose it's accreditation due to inferior coursework.  The most common reason is financial difficulty which usually becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
(04-27-2019, 05:43 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 03:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: I dealt with ACCSC standards at a school I worked for, and their standards were pretty low.

Vocational schools have low standards?  Not exactly a surprise.

Whether regionally accredited Podunk Affirmative Action College provides a superior education to random nationally accredited schools is anyone's guess.  I am not sure I have actually seen any school from any accrediitor lose it's accreditation due to inferior coursework.  The most common reason is financial difficulty which usually becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Podunk colleges don't need Affirmative Action; they have acceptance rates that are over 80%. Among the people accepted through Affirmative Action at elite colleges, their grades and test scores are actually higher than those of the average college student. Elite schools don't accept people who got a 1000 on the SAT and graduated high school with a 2.9 GPA unless their parents donated money. I always find it amusing that people who couldn't even get a 1400 on the SAT try to use higher-performing AA admits as an example of letting in anyone. 

There's not much research on the outcomes of NA vs. RA schools. But, there is a lot of research on the outcomes of public school vs. for-profit schools. Community colleges perform better than for-profit, vocational schools, most of which are NA. Podunk state universities perform better than for-profit universities. Yes, I know that many for-profits are RA, and I know that most of them located themselves within the HLC region because it was easier to get accredited through them than it was through other regional accreditors.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(04-27-2019, 06:33 PM)sanantone Wrote: There's not much research on the outcomes of NA vs. RA schools.

There should be somewhere.  Research on outcomes is part of the accreditation process.
(04-28-2019, 10:33 AM)Old Guy Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 06:33 PM)sanantone Wrote: There's not much research on the outcomes of NA vs. RA schools.

There should be somewhere.  Research on outcomes is part of the accreditation process.

Individual accreditation organizations might collect these stats, but hardly anyone has cared to compare them. The main focus has been on the tax dollars spent at for-profit colleges. Results might be different if a study focused on DEAC only, but NA vo-tech schools perform terribly, and the for-profit sector, as a whole, performs terribly. The school I worked for collected stats for ACCSC, but I was only aware of the outcomes for my program. Our students were paying $28k for an associate's degree, but the typical wage after graduation was $8 to $11 per hour.

ACICS was ignoring the bad outcomes of its schools, which is why they lost recognition temporarily. HLC was threatened with investigations due to its lax treatment of for-profit colleges buying accreditation. For a while, there were for-profit companies buying small, struggling RA schools and drastically changing them. It happened to Ashford, just to name an example. HLC finally clamped down on the practice.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Kind of off topic, but I'm curious about this. Even as the dept chair that built a program from scratch, accreditation of the college was way beyond the scope of my role in the organization, but we were RA. Is it different for ACCSC?
(04-28-2019, 04:16 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Kind of off topic, but I'm curious about this. Even as the dept chair that built a program from scratch, accreditation of the college was way beyond the scope of my role in the organization, but we were RA.  Is it different for ACCSC?
The instructors in the criminal justice program were tasked with rebuilding the curriculum from scratch, so we were given guidelines we had to follow. It was a much different process from designing a penology course I had to teach at an RA university. 

When we were hired, and when we received our evaluations, we were shown the requirements instructors had to meet in order to be considered qualified to teach a subject. I didn't need an academic background in criminal justice to teach degree-level courses.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 197 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,082 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,460 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,827 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 892 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 2,365 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 978 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 670 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,066 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Does UMass Global accept Sophia and Study? nguyenquocbuu 4 1,705 10-30-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: nguyenquocbuu