Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DoD TA remains $250/$4500 through 2012
Great news!! From Military.com, DoD TA rates will remain at $250 per credit hour and $4,500 annual cap at least through 2012.

Quote:The same week the Marine Corps backed off their decision to gut their tuition assistance program, the DoD’s American Forces Press Service released an article saying the DoD would not be reducing their Tuition Assistance payment rates – at least not right away.

Jo Ann Rooney, principal deputy undersecretary of defense, personnel and readiness, said, “our goal is that any announcements about changes to existing policies affecting service members’ benefits and compensation will be made after the comprehensive review,” she said.

So, what caused the DoD to reverse course? Best guess is the outcry caused by the Marine Corps attempt to cut TA to $175 a credit and institute an $875 annual cap. .

In addition, the odd way the official MARADMIN announced that the DoD’s 2012 TA rate would be cut by $75 a credit may have ruffled some feathers.

A DoD official told AFPS that “If any changes are made to the tuition assistance policy, they will be instituted in a deliberate, thoughtful manner maintaining the integrity of a joint uniform policy for all service members.” This may reflect their frustration with the Marine Corps less than “thoughtful,” if not premature, TA policy announcement.

No matter what the cause, the DoD’s temporary change of heart comes as good news — for now.

The above links to another article, same topic, that just says TA is unsustainable, it will be reviewed for cuts, etc. So we are on notice that cuts are coming, but we at least get a reprieve for 2012.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I don't understand the figures completely but in considering cutting educational spending to Marines I am reminded of a protest sign I once saw when the local cops wanted a pay/benefits increase, to paraphrase that sign would read....."Pay your MARINES like your life depends on it!"

Or a favorite John Wayne quote from "The Sands of Iwo Jima": "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid"
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One-time $4500 allowance for a certificate? Any recommendations? (TA-related) OfficerA 3 1,152 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Last Post: OfficerA
  hange to $4500 annual TA cap use Joel 7 2,500 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Last Post: SIMPLY_HUGO