Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Charter Oak grant 3rd degrees?
(12-15-2018, 07:04 PM)4dog Wrote: Has this issue about "Does Charter Oak grant 3rd degrees?" been resolved?

If I am forced to look for a full-time job after these 2 bachelor degrees, then at least I have a professional qualification.

I'm confused, isn't the purpose of a degree to land full time work? Why would that be a disadvantage?

Also, start with the end in mind. Having 3 degrees in different fields can look unfocused, especially all at the undergraduate level. The master is where you really become an expert in something, doctorate when you become a leader in your field. It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.
I don't think anyone goes to college for 12 or 16 years to find full time work. For some people, prolonging the experience and living off of student loans *is* their career. If you're talking about the narrow subset of people who want 5 BA's or whatever, I'm sure a fair number of those are professional students.

I personally just enjoy learning new things and collecting degrees for it is just kind of a hobby. I would love to have 10 BA's and 5 MA's eventually but I realize that I am an outlier and that most people asking about 3+ BA's are not doing it for the same reasons I am.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Muldoon
I actually posted a thread about the subject of third degrees out of curiosity a few months back and everyone was very helpful and insightful. Based on that thread and my own experience and research on the forums I have come to the following conclusions:

1) COSC has yet to give a direct answer about third degrees. It seems multiple people on this forum have contacted them. They have never said straight up "no" but they have never clearly spelled out anything. This mean it is a likely no, but no one knows for sure.

2) Unless you are making a complete 360 career change, earning a third bachelors seems mostly hard to do, pointless, and useless.

3) I don't think getting another bachelors is the best use of time and money. It might even be quicker/cheaper to earn a masters depending on the program.

In my personal option, if you wanted multiple degrees, go for a both BALS and BA in Computer Sci. It would be a dual area of study. The only thing is I'm not sure it is possible to pair a BALS with another area of study (anyone know?) You could take English for you Liberal Arts AOS. The reason I suggest this is because it would be the cheapest and fastest option that would result in basically multiple degrees. But its your life, you make your own choice.
I, generally, agree that it's easier, and sometimes, faster and cheaper to get a master's degree instead. One thing to note, however, is that COSC gives a lot of credits for the GRE subject tests. They give a good amount of UL credits for biology, chemistry, and physics.

GRE used to have a computer science exam, but they discontinued it. I predict that GRE might get rid of all their subject tests eventually due to low demand. I don't see many graduate schools asking for them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • cookderosa, Ideas
(12-16-2018, 01:26 PM)sanantone Wrote: I, generally, agree that it's easier, and sometimes, faster and cheaper to get a master's degree instead. One thing to note, however, is that COSC gives a lot of credits for the GRE subject tests. They give a good amount of UL credits for biology, chemistry, and physics.

GRE used to have a computer science exam, but they discontinued it. I predict that GRE might get rid of all their subject tests eventually due to low demand. I don't see many graduate schools asking for them.

But I've heard that the GRE subject tests are incredibly difficult and require immense studying. And you'd need to score really high to get the max credits. And they are only offered three specific dates a year in September, October and April and only at specific test centers. Might be more trouble than its worth.
(12-16-2018, 01:46 PM)natshar Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 01:26 PM)sanantone Wrote: I, generally, agree that it's easier, and sometimes, faster and cheaper to get a master's degree instead. One thing to note, however, is that COSC gives a lot of credits for the GRE subject tests. They give a good amount of UL credits for biology, chemistry, and physics.

But I've heard that the GRE subject tests are incredibly difficult and require immense studying. And you'd need to score really high to get the max credits. And they are only offered three specific dates a year in September, October and April and only at specific test centers. Might be more trouble than its worth.

COSC gives 24 credits as long as you score at the 40th percentile or higher. They don't base the number of credits on your score. You either scored high enough to get credit or you didn't.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • natshar
When I asked in 2016 the Big 3 about a 3rd BS degree this was what they told me.

Excelsior College - Yes, but in a different field (from first two) and have a good reason.
TESU - No way!
COSC - Told me I would need to officially apply as they would not directly say yes or no.  It sounded open-ended?  Maybe they have no written rule?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I don't know why COSC won't just answer the question. No one wants to pay a $50 application fee just to be told no.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
So, what should I do? I really want the 3 bachelors degrees and I haven't applied to TESU for admission yet. This is all very unsettling. If I go ahead and earn the 2 degrees from TESU and don't get into COSC to study chemistry then I'm screwed. Confused What then?
You could do CS and English as a dual AOS at tesu instead of 2 separate degrees.

You could just do the English degree and then get some CS certs.

You could get the CS and English degrees then find a way to get into a master's program in science.

You could rationalize that there's no reason to plan for 3 separate bachelor's degrees. Just pick the 1 or 2 that you are most passionate for or that will be most applicable to your desired career field.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades Jonathan Whatley 44 5,762 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,586 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 969 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,638 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,502 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,314 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,174 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 4,006 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,752 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,146 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar