Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit?
(09-11-2018, 12:49 PM)jsd Wrote: Yes, Ethics in Soc Sci is the only course you would need to take at TESU other than the Corner/Capstone, and Corner/Cap would need to be taken with TESU no matter what degree you're going after.

There are plenty Upper Level psych options available to fulfill the TESU requirement, you do not need to take those through TESU. Those are marked on the wiki (as UL). Keep in mind TESU changed some of their equivalencies a few months back so that's why a lot of those ULs have a ? next to them, always check with your TESU advisor beforehand to make sure.

TESU courses are closer to $500 PER CREDIT, meaning $1500 per TESU course. With the Study.com partnership the discount gets that down to around $1100 per course.
Ok. Good to know. Someone had posted that it is better to enroll with TESU and then go about completing online courses because that way, they would be 'locked in' place and changing policies won't affect my online credits. Is that a good thing to do? If I am clear I am going to graduate from TESU, and that I will be earning all but a few credits from outside TESU, do I just pay the money for those few courses now itself? Or will I be saving some money by completing courses and earning credits, and then enroll with TESU? The risk however, would be their change of policies.
Enrolling upfront now would lock you into the current catalog so you would avoid potential policy changes (in theory). I personally would go ahead and enroll and lock in your catalog by completing the cornerstone (this is a $300 1cr course -- self -paced, pass/fail that can be done in a day according to many folks who have gone through it). Then you can preplan with an advisor your upper level transfers. Then in a year if you're not done you can either take a TECEP (if you need any) or the Capstone if you're far along in your plan (or the Ethics Soc Sci if Study.com still hasn't come out with it).

You'll only need to pay for the courses once you actually take them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • davewill
(09-11-2018, 01:06 PM)jsd Wrote: Enrolling upfront now would lock you into the current catalog so you would avoid potential policy changes (in theory). I personally would go ahead and enroll and lock in your catalog by completing the cornerstone (this is a $300 1cr course -- self -paced, pass/fail that can be done in a day according to many folks who have gone through it). Then you can preplan with an advisor your upper level transfers. Then in a year if you're not done you can either take a TECEP (if you need any) or the Capstone if you're far along in your plan (or the Ethics Soc Sci if Study.com still hasn't come out with it).

You'll only need to pay for the courses once you actually take them.

Thank you. I might consider doing the same.
(09-11-2018, 10:49 AM)jsd Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:41 AM)Supermind Wrote: Does the free Ethics course from the Institutes fulfill the Ethics requirements for any Bachelor's Degree course? For example, I am having to earn 3 credits for Ethics for BA Psychology @ TESU

No, it will not fulfill Ethics in the Social Sciences. There are no ACE/NCCRS options that will at this point.

Study.com was working on building one months ago, but we have no idea when it will be approved for credit by ACE/NCCRS.

Actually, Study.com has SOCSCI 108: Ethics in the Social Sciences which has been reported to fulfill the requirements for any Social Science major, including Psych (I've seen that it specifically fulfills the Psych degree).  It's ACE recommended.

The free 2cr Ethics course from the Institute will work for the Gen Ed Ethics requirement for any degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
WHOA, I don't know how I missed that, but that's huge. It doesn't even seem that new since it has an approval date of March 2018. That makes the BA Psych 100% transferable (other than the corner/capstones that ALL other degrees need). That is very exciting. I will update the wiki.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-12-2018, 12:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:41 AM)Supermind Wrote: Does the free Ethics course from the Institutes fulfill the Ethics requirements for any Bachelor's Degree course? For example, I am having to earn 3 credits for Ethics for BA Psychology @ TESU

No, it will not fulfill Ethics in the Social Sciences. There are no ACE/NCCRS options that will at this point.

Study.com was working on building one months ago, but we have no idea when it will be approved for credit by ACE/NCCRS.

Actually, Study.com has SOCSCI 108: Ethics in the Social Sciences which has been reported to fulfill the requirements for any Social Science major, including Psych (I've seen that it specifically fulfills the Psych degree).  It's ACE recommended.

The free 2cr Ethics course from the Institute will work for the Gen Ed Ethics requirement for any degree.
Thank you drfrecore. This is very helpful. I was looking at taking the UExcel Ethics exam, as Uexcel exams are offered in India. Compared to TESU, Uexcel costs less, right? Even if I included the prep phase on Study.com

Does Study.com also conduct online exams? I thought they only help you prepare. Does the exam happen with Proctor U?

I have written to study.com for more info regarding the various subscription plans they offer. If I need credit for college, is it necessary I opt for the College Accelerator plan only? It costs 199 $/month. There is 39 $ plan and a 59 $ plan as well. Anyone who uses study.com, could you please explain what the differences are? Does the 59 $ plan also allow me to take exams? Or is it only for exam preparation?
(09-12-2018, 04:28 AM)Supermind Wrote:

Thank you drfrecore. This is very helpful. I was looking at taking the UExcel Ethics exam, as Uexcel exams are offered in India. Compared to TESU, Uexcel costs less, right? Even if I included the prep phase on Study.com

Does Study.com also conduct online exams? I thought they only help you prepare. Does the exam happen with Proctor U?

I have written to study.com for more info regarding the various subscription plans they offer. If I need credit for college, is it necessary I opt for the College Accelerator plan only? It costs 199 $/month. There is 39 $ plan and a 59 $ plan as well. Anyone who uses study.com, could you please explain what the differences are? Does the 59 $ plan also allow me to take exams? Or is it only for exam preparation?

Try starting new threads for broad questions like this that are unrelated to the original post. Study.com does have online courses for credit with proctored finals using RPnow. You have to pay for the $199 college accelerator subscription. The $39 subscription just let's you watch videos, but you can just find different videos on YouTube or something so I wouldn't pay for study.com just for that.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
It would be nice if folks would trim their quotes better. There's no need to quote any more than what you need to put your response in context.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
(09-12-2018, 11:50 AM)davewill Wrote: It would be nice if folks would trim their quotes better. There's no need to quote any more than what you need to put your response in context.

I agree, it can be hard to follow.

Unfortunately, many times now when I've trimmed quotes, and then answered, I post and voila, the original, untrimmed quote is there, with my response totally missing.  Drives me INSANE!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-14-2018, 12:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 11:50 AM)davewill Wrote: It would be nice if folks would trim their quotes better. There's no need to quote any more than what you need to put your response in context.

I agree, it can be hard to follow.

Unfortunately, many times now when I've trimmed quotes, and then answered, I post and voila, the original, untrimmed quote is there, with my response totally missing.  Drives me INSANE!

Yes, that has happened to me a few times. Other times, I'm posting a quick response from my phone on a break and don't have much time to trim it(which is hard to do on a phone, anyway). I figure I could wait several hours to get home to my computer to make a "pretty" and concise post, or I could try to get a (hopefully) useful response out faster while I have a spare moment and am thinking about it.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore