Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does a concentration matter?
Does the person hiring look for the words:  Concentration or Area of Study when they look at an applicant's transcript?
What if, instead of doing a school's required specific courses, you just took a bunch of classes in that subject?  Will someone hiring pay more attention to the classes you took
or if there was a specific Concentration listed?

TIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(08-02-2019, 04:48 PM)TwinMom Wrote: Does the person hiring look for the words:  Concentration or Area of Study when they look at an applicant's transcript?
What if, instead of doing a school's required specific courses, you just took a bunch of classes in that subject?  Will someone hiring pay more attention to the classes you took
or if there was a specific Concentration listed?

TIA

Unless a hiring manager is looking at a degree transcript for some reason, they won't see what courses you have taken. You'd have to list them on your resume for that.

As for listing the concentration or AOS, it only matters if it is relevant to the position. If listing (or not listing) a concentration or AOS on your resume will help your chances of getting the interview, then it makes sense to highlight it.

That said, most of the time hiring managers just want to see the checkbox that you have a degree and they won't care much about any details beyond that except in specific circumstances (new grad with no real job experience or portfolio, for example).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • TwinMom
Very few hiring managers will ever look at your transcript. A concentration is something you can list on a resume. For "bunch of classes", you'd have to try listing something like "coursework in X" on there. I'd rather list the concentration, myself.

The real answer, though is that if you want to be seen as having a degree in Communications, for instance, better to get a degree in that, than doing a concentration in a Liberal Studies degree. That said, having a BSBA with one or more concentrations is so common, that hiring managers are pretty used to it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • TwinMom
I agree with davewill - it really depends on the degree. I have a BSBA with a concentration in HR, which I would definitely list on an application, because the coursework I took was relevant to the job I'd be applying for (probably in HR). But if I only had a concentration in General Management, I might not list it because it probably wouldn't be that important.

That being said, some jobs want certain degrees, while others don't care at all, either wanting "any" degree, or a relevant degree. Better to get a degree relevant to jobs you want, then get an "any" degree and hope that it will work for what you're looking for.

It may also behoove you to get a certification or some other sort of "proof" that you have experience or knowledge in a particular area if that's important to your career/industry.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TwinMom
How about when applying to graduate school for a particular program? For example, I am thinking of getting a bachelors of science in general studies degree with a concentration in mathematics, while also having many physics credits with my concentration that would technically be enough for a major or concentration (36 or so, or more). Would I be able to get into such a graduate program with enough coursework in physics without the specific degree or concentration title but enough coursework credits?

Or, how about if I wanted to be hired as an engineer or another job requiring physics knowledge. with enough physics credits could I possibly apply for the job?
(02-12-2020, 12:16 AM)sciencemathematics1 Wrote: Would I be able to get into such a graduate program with enough coursework in physics without the specific degree or concentration title but enough coursework credits?

Usually, but they may have to get the department head (or someone else) to review your transcript. There's also a chance they would only offer you conditional admission. It can depend on the competitiveness of the school.

(02-12-2020, 12:16 AM)sciencemathematics1 Wrote: Or, how about if I wanted to be hired as an engineer or another job requiring physics knowledge. with enough physics credits could I possibly apply for the job?

Yes, but sometimes you may get overlooked if your major wasn't physics/engineering. You would definitely need to point out on your resume that you did extensive coursework in the subject area(s).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grades matter more Alpha 5 671 04-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Concentration, Major, Minor are mentioned in the diploma? MrPanda 8 1,012 11-14-2021, 01:06 PM
  Does it really matter? adegree4me 7 1,409 12-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Last Post: adegree4me
  Do grades from transfer credits matter? StoicJ 1 847 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  BS general studies with physics concentration: Worth less than a physics major? sciencemathematics1 20 3,828 02-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  BALS Criminal Justice concentration questions. Acaidian 6 1,502 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Concentration or general concentration? Ideas 15 2,292 01-31-2019, 01:46 PM
  College Composition IC up to date? Does it matter? rackcity92 0 713 01-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Last Post: rackcity92
  COSC degree plan for BSGS w/ concentration in Info Systems rvm 12 2,140 01-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Last Post: rvm
  BSNS w/ Concentration in Biology vs BA in Biology...? Silly_Me 3 1,131 06-30-2017, 12:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone