Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone have a test out degree plan for TESU Information Techology
Hey,

Looking for a test out degree plan for TESU IT or Cybersecurity. 100% test out would be incredible but I'd also be happy with something close.

Thanks in advance!!
The BS in IT AOS has a lot of overlap with CS, and off the top of my head, I see only 5 core courses that can be tested out of:

Network Technology (TECEP)
MIS (DSST)
Project Management (CSU Global)
Software Engineering (Saylor)
Foundations of IT (probably CLEP or DSST)

C++ programming can be done with Straighterline.

The IT electives can presumably be tested out of with CSU Global and the Intro to Java UExcel.
Statistics and Technical Writing (DSST) and College Algebra and Calculus (CLEP) can also be tested out of. Computer Concepts also (CLEP, DSST, probably also CSU Global)
(04-30-2018, 11:37 AM)Yenisei Wrote: The BS in IT AOS has a  lot of overlap with CS, and off the top of my head, I see only 5 core courses that can be tested out of:

Network Technology (TECEP)
MIS (DSST)
Project Management (CSU Global)
Software Engineering (Saylor)
Foundations of IT (probably CLEP or DSST)

C++ programming can be done with Straighterline.

The IT electives can presumably be tested out of with CSU Global and the Intro to Java UExcel.
Statistics and Technical Writing (DSST) and College Algebra and Calculus (CLEP) can also be tested out of. Computer Concepts also (CLEP, DSST, probably also CSU Global)

That's super helpful, thanks!  I'll start with those.
For most people, we recommend going with WGU for IT. It's cheaper if you can get your time down at WGU to one term. Plus you get a number of valuable certs since WGU uses the certs as final exams for their courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • jsd, quigongene, Yenisei
(04-30-2018, 01:06 PM)davewill Wrote: For most people, we recommend going with WGU for IT. It's cheaper if you can get your time down at WGU to one term. Plus you get a number of valuable certs since WGU uses the certs as final exams for their courses.

I think WGU is cheaper even if you do 2 terms, due to the number of courses you have to take (non test-outable).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-30-2018, 01:06 PM)davewill Wrote: For most people, we recommend going with WGU for IT. It's cheaper if you can get your time down at WGU to one term. Plus you get a number of valuable certs since WGU uses the certs as final exams for their courses.

Okay, talk to me...My goal is to get a Master's with an emphasis in Cybersecurity. Since TESU has the Bach to Mast program I though that might be the way to go but I'm open to seeing things differently. Do you happen to have a degree plan for WGU?
(04-30-2018, 09:47 PM)DezCez Wrote:

Okay, talk to me...My goal is to get a Master's with an emphasis in Cybersecurity. Since TESU has the Bach to Mast program I though that might be the way to go but I'm open to seeing things differently. Do you happen to have a degree plan for WGU?

TESU's master's plan is WAY too expensive.  Definitely look at WGU.  For both a BS and MA.

Here's my degree plan for the BS in Cybersecurity & InfoSec.  There are ones I know for certain (esp anything in Gen Ed, and anything that says SL or Saylor because they have an agreement on their website).  But the ones from Study.com I haven't heard about.  But they might transfer in.

Attached Files
.xlsx   WGU-Cybersecurity & Info Assurance.xlsx (Size: 13.36 KB / Downloads: 32)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SamCes - what is your goal? How much of a factor are faster, easier, and cheaper? What classes do you already have? Any IT Certs?

If you want something in "Computers", I would recommend the CompSci at TESU or IT at WGU over the IT degree at TESU. CompSci has more flexibility, more options for alt credit, fewer specific requirements, and is a degree in CompSci. If you can accelerate through the program at WGU, it will be cheaper and you will also pick up a number of industry certs along the way.

For CyberSec and starting from zero, then WGU. With credits and certs, probably still WGU, but I would also recommend looking into TESU and COSC.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
[-] The following 1 user Likes ajs1976a's post:
  • Yenisei
davewill, Yenisei, dfrecore, ajs1976a,

Thanks for all your replies!  ajs1976a, I'm just starting.  Originally my goal was to knock out a degree as fast as possible which lead me to the big three test-out programs.  After looking further I see with a bit more effort I can get a degree that I'm actually interested in verses checking a box for an employer.  I have future employment opportunities in the IT and Cybersecurtiy fields so if I could hammer out a degree in 6 months to a year that would perfect.

I've tested out of most of my GE.  Speed and ease are top priorities, cost is a factor too but I'm willing to spend a little more for a path that's faster and easier.  A second goal would be a Masters.  I saw the TESU Bachelor's to Master's Programs a thought that might be a faster route to a MS so was looking for a way to test out of the BS to get that out of the way for employment purposes then focus on knocking out an MS. My preference would be Cybersecurity over IT but it seems easier to cover IT courses. Looks like Excelsior also has a MS in Cybersecurity.  Would it be better to knock out ANY test-out degree Communications or Business for example and then go for MS Cybersecurity?
(05-01-2018, 10:18 AM)SamCes Wrote: davewill, Yenisei, dfrecore, ajs1976a,

Thanks for all your replies!  ajs1976a, I'm just starting.  Originally my goal was to knock out a degree as fast as possible which lead me to the big three test-out programs.  After looking further I see with a bit more effort I can get a degree that I'm actually interested in verses checking a box for an employer.  I have future employment opportunities in the IT and Cybersecurtiy fields so if I could hammer out a degree in 6 months to a year that would perfect.

I've tested out of most of my GE.  Speed and ease are top priorities, cost is a factor too but I'm willing to spend a little more for a path that's faster and easier.  A second goal would be a Masters.  I saw the TESU Bachelor's to Master's Programs a thought that might be a faster route to a MS so was looking for a way to test out of the BS to get that out of the way for employment purposes then focus on knocking out an MS. My preference would be Cybersecurity over IT but it seems easier to cover IT courses. Looks like Excelsior also has a MS in Cybersecurity.  Would it be better to knock out ANY test-out degree Communications or Business for example and then go for MS Cybersecurity?

You can transfer many credits into WGU as well (through test-out method credits, just have to be done before enrolling), especially the GEs which again lowers the cost/time.

If you do opt for the Business degree route with one of the Big 3, then maybe the TESU BSBA-CIS could be an option - covers your Business, along with being IT based.  Many here have done that, and then went on to WGU for their masters degree. If you shared what credits you do have would allow us to better to assess where you stand and options that may fit what you already have earned.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test score rogeryoung 4 184 Today, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 687 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 646 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 205 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,802 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,048 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 578 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 514 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 289 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain