Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out.
Sad 
Apologies in advance if someone has already answered this question, but I haven't been here in a while, and I'm seeing that Shmoop isn't going to be ACE approved anymore, and I read something about none of the big 3 accepting their credits. I have 39 credits from them that were approved by ACE in 2018... My question is this: Are my Shmoop credits now totally useless?
(09-14-2020, 11:13 AM)literalkev Wrote: Apologies in advance if someone has already answered this question, but I haven't been here in a while, and I'm seeing that Shmoop isn't going to be ACE approved anymore, and I read something about none of the big 3 accepting their credits. I have 39 credits from them that were approved by ACE in 2018... My question is this: Are my Shmoop credits now totally useless?

Did you add them all to your ACE transcripts at the time you completed them? If not, get them added ASAP. Once they are listed in your ACE account as completed credits they are all set and valid 'forever' - even if Shmoop stops being an ACE provider in the future. However, whether or not they are accepted by a school or not is completely up to the school.  To my knowledge the only school of the Big3 that outright said they will not take them is TESU, but I know COSC has a number of changes this year (such as now requiring RA credits as part of their degree paths).

What degree are you working towards?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • literalkev
If you didn't get them added to your university transcript, I imagine they are now useless. If you already had them sent in and they added them to your transcript, you're good.

At least that's the way I understand it. I would imagine you can try having them sent to your university and see if they take them.
Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes inkleind's post:
  • literalkev
(09-14-2020, 11:42 AM)allvia Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 11:13 AM)literalkev Wrote: Apologies in advance if someone has already answered this question, but I haven't been here in a while, and I'm seeing that Shmoop isn't going to be ACE approved anymore, and I read something about none of the big 3 accepting their credits. I have 39 credits from them that were approved by ACE in 2018... My question is this: Are my Shmoop credits now totally useless?

Did you add them all to your ACE transcripts at the time you completed them? If not, get them added ASAP. Once they are listed in your ACE account as completed credits they are all set and valid 'forever' - even if Shmoop stops being an ACE provider in the future. However, whether or not they are accepted by a school or not is completely up to the school.  To my knowledge the only school of the Big3 that outright said they will not take them is TESU, but I know COSC has a number of changes this year (such as now requiring RA credits as part of their degree paths).

What degree are you working towards?

Thanks so much! That definitely takes a little bit of the edge off. I've had them in ACE since the time of completion for each course, thank god. I was going to try for PSYCH but if big changes are on the horizon for COSC I might switch to English and just try to get it all knocked out as quickly as possible. Thanks again for the info!

(09-14-2020, 11:42 AM)inkleind Wrote: If you didn't get them added to your university transcript, I imagine they are now useless. If you already had them sent in and they added them to your transcript, you're good.

At least that's the way I understand it. I would imagine you can try having them sent to your university and see if they take them.
Good luck!

Thanks so much for this helpful info, I really appreciate it!!!
COSC doesn't take them because they (Shmoop) don't have a partnership with COSC. I think UMPI might take them?
Some non-Big Three schools still take them and probably will for awhile. If you're looking to use them at the Big Three, that ship sailed a year ago probably.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • rachel83az
(09-14-2020, 12:54 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Some non-Big Three schools still take them and probably will for awhile. If you're looking to use them at the Big Three, that ship sailed a year ago probably.

I believe Excelsior may accept Shmoop, since I haven't heard otherwise, but I am not sure.
(09-14-2020, 02:09 PM)nosey561 Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 12:54 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Some non-Big Three schools still take them and probably will for awhile. If you're looking to use them at the Big Three, that ship sailed a year ago probably.

I believe Excelsior may accept Shmoop, since I haven't heard otherwise, but I am not sure.

If any of the big 3 still accept Shmoop credits, it would be Excelsior.

As an FYI, WGU does not accept Shmoop either.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Pierpont CTC accepted them when my son got his BOG AAS.  I have heard that Liberty University has accepted them from others.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • rachel83az
If Pierpont accepts them, that's a good way to go to at least get some use out of them ASAP. The only issue would be getting the required RA credits for the degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 192 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 180 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,176 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 628 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 595 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,080 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 645 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,402 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,148 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded