Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know what the Capstone of excelsior college is?
I’m not up to mind yet but it’s going to be in psychology. I hope it’s not too bad
Can you tell me a little bit about the cornerstone and capstone. I am thinking of late registering for the cornerstone tomorrow.  I have been out of school for 30 years.
COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND Total Credits: 125
NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY Total Credits: 3
PENN STATE UNIVERSITY Total Credits: 4
DEFENSE ACQUISTION UNIVERSITY (DAU) Total Credits: 11
SOPHIA Credits: Total Credits: 50

(10-27-2021, 08:39 PM)sava60 Wrote: Can you tell me a little bit about the cornerstone and capstone. I am thinking of late registering for the cornerstone tomorrow.  I have been out of school for 30 years.

You might want to check out this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ips-Tricks

The cornerstone should be pretty easy, though. For all schools, it's supposed to be one of the first classes that you register for. I think you're even supposed to take it before you finish English Comp.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-26-2021, 05:16 PM)trfcrugby Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 10:35 PM)mrskitty Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 06:37 PM)trfcrugby Wrote: I'm 4 weeks into the LA capstone.

There is a group project, which is kind of a mess working with people all over the place, with varying levels of skill.

There's a paper to write, with lots of steps involved that are checked along the way.  The paper appears to be somewhere around 12-15 pages long.  There's also a presentation required, but since that assignment is still locked, I can't tell you much about it.

My main gripe about it is the format.  You're working on 3-4 different things at once, and the assignments unlock when you complete the previous one.  So you can't really look ahead to read the future assignments.

It's basically just a bunch of writing and research.  Time-consuming, but not terribly difficult.
Thanks for the feedback! So, basically the group project has nothing to do with the paper? I hate group projects. Also, would this be doable to take with another class? My advisor advised against it.

I would agree with your advisor.  The class is not hard.  There are just lots of little things to do.
I've taken about 5 classes at EC, and this is the only one that I have not enjoyed.

There are several parts to the class, all running concurrently:

Group project:
Week 1 - introduce everyone
Week 2 - assign roles in the group
Week 3 - do some small writing about your assigned topic
Week 4 - annotated bib
My comments:  This part of the class has sucked.  No one reads the assignment completely, no one reads the rubric, so everyone is arguing and lost.  Might just be my group, but I'm paired with someone who tells everyone what to do and screws up constantly.  I spend the most time in this section trying to get everyone on the same page and assignments done because our "leader" is terrible.  The assignment is exceptionally easy...but if you don't read the instructions and the rubric you will fail, and it's 30% of your grade.  The end product appears to be a presentation in Voicethread.  You are correct, the group project has nothing to do with your main paper.

Final paper:
Depending on the instructor, 12-20 pages.
Needs a literature review.
Must be peer-reviewed by someone in your field.
You get to choose the topic.

Final presentation:
I have not gotten this far, but it looks like it is a ppt for an audience based on your research for the paper.
Requires a written script.

The Random Module
There's a final section where you have to do an internship, conduct an interview with someone, and there's one final option, I can't recall what it was.
Since I'm 20 years into my career, I'm not doing an internship, so I chose to do an interview.
There's a bunch of busy work for this one... a professional email to request the interview, draft the interview questions, and a post-interview essay.

Finally...weekly journal logs.
Answer 3-4 questions each week in a blog kind of setup.

Overall, I spend way too much time on the group project, just because of personality conflicts.  I had someone in my group complain to me that my annotated bibliography entries were too long that I needed to shorten them.  I had to go online and get proof that my 100-word entries were acceptable, even slightly short, before they would stop pestering me to shorten them.  If not for this being 30% of my grade I'd just do crap work and be done with it.  However, the grading seems to be pretty strict in the course overall, so I don't want to risk anything on my last class.  I've pulled a 4.0 in every college class I've ever taken, and in this class I'm holding like an 85%, so I don't have 30% to spare for personality conflicts.

And that leads me to the last thing...with my instructor the grades are given at the end, holistically.  So I say I have an 85% because the few things that have been graded were scored there...but the bulk of the class is scored at the end.  So I could have an A-?  I could have a C?  I don't know for sure.

I feel busy with this one class, because there's so much going on at once.

That sounds a horrible course. The group project is one thing but an internship/interview as well!
I’m getting ready to register for the psychology capstone. Does anyone have any information on it?
thanks for sharing that info

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Capstone with another course? GameSlinger 3 906 09-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM