Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone on the forum have any experience with SNHU?
I always remember seeing their ads and thinking they were one of those 'for-profit' schools like University of Phoenix, Full Sail, etc. But apparently this isn't the case, as they're a non-profit and regionally accredited. I'd consider a master's program from them at some point if/when I could justify it financially. I'm mostly just curious!

(The past couple hours I've been getting errors when trying to use the search function, so I apologize if this has been brought up a bunch and I just never noticed.)
They have a campus.  They also teach B&M style in the southern Maine area. I have never taken anything from them.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I applied there for my undergrad before I found this forum. It's not cheap. It's not fast. I don't know about the Masters, but at undergrad level you are limited to two classes (6 credits) per term. It would have cost me 14k plus books if I had completed my BA there, instead of the 4k I spent at TESU. It also would have taken 18 months, instead of 6 months. But for a Masters I assume it's another ballgame and just depends on what you are looking for. You may not care of it takes awhile and educational costs might not be so different from other places since there aren't the same options as at the undergrad level.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • leland.kirk
I see them mentioned as one of the better priced graduate schools sometimes. But I think there are a couple dozen that are cheaper.

(03-08-2018, 07:19 AM)Ideas Wrote: I see them mentioned as one of the better priced graduate schools sometimes. But I think there are a couple dozen that are cheaper.

It also seems like their financial aid/scholarships page is strictly directed to undergrad. I feel like all the grants from FAFSA could be like that too but I don't know enough about them to say for sure
(03-08-2018, 12:42 PM)leland.kirk Wrote: It also seems like their financial aid/scholarships page is strictly directed to undergrad. I feel like all the grants from FAFSA could be like that too but I don't know enough about them to say for sure

At the graduate level, you fill out the FAFSA to qualify for different kinds of loans. Some are subsidized but it's all money you pay back. So I think programs don't like to draw attention to that fact.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • leland.kirk, Muldoon
(03-08-2018, 12:50 PM)Ideas Wrote: At the graduate level, you fill out the FAFSA to qualify for different kinds of loans. Some are subsidized but it's all money you pay back. So I think programs don't like to draw attention to that fact.

That makes sense! Thanks!
My wife did her graduate degree there in June 2016, long before I ever discovered this forum.

She's glad she got the degree in general, but it was expensive, lengthy, and challenging mentally. If it was half the price (she paid $33,000), she'd probably give it a 10/10.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • leland.kirk
(03-14-2018, 11:49 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: My wife did her graduate degree there in June 2016, long before I ever discovered this forum.

She's glad she got the degree in general, but it was expensive, lengthy, and challenging mentally. If it was half the price (she paid $33,000), she'd probably give it a 10/10.

That does seem kinda high. The Harvard Extension School graduate programs are around that price, too, actually.
I've been and undergrad student at SNHU since July. Full disclosure -- my employer is paying for most of my educational expenses, so I haven't had to work with their financial department and can't attest to that aspect of the school.

Honestly, I've had an amazing experience so far. Price wise, you could definitely go cheaper, but you could go a lot more expensive as well. In this case, I feel you get what you pay for. Unlike most B&M schools with online programs, SNHU's online program is massive. Someone once told me they were the 'Amazon of online education'. They didn't mean that in a negative way, and I think it's a fair analogy. For me at least, SNHU has been like a well-oiled machine. They didn't get to be an educational juggernaut by doing a crappy job. They've offered a level of customer service I've never experienced at other schools. My advisor is in constant contact. I've thrown a lot of weird scenarios at them because I've taken advantage of non-traditional credit. My advisor wasn't entirely well-versed in the CLEP program at first, but she really stepped up to the plate and is a total pro now. Any issues I've had have been resolved within 24 business hours.

My instructors have been great, for the most part. They stay engaged and answer questions quickly. I've only had one instructor so far that I felt was 'phoning it in'. It wasn't a terrible experience though. I'm not sure what major you're considering, but the English/Business/Communication spheres tend to be very paper-intensive. Like other online programs, it's mostly independent study. You get out what you put into it.

I can only speak for my personal experience, but I definitely recommend it. I just wish they'd lighten up on the ads. They don't make it clear that  SNHU is a B&M, regionally accredited school. For a while, I considered transferring just because I didn't want to deal with any perception issues resulting from their national campaigns, but I wound up sticking around simply because it's been such a positive experience.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
[-] The following 5 users Like greencouch's post:
  • davewill, Ideas, leland.kirk, Muldoon, Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,785 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  MBA SNHU en español MrPanda 4 656 04-23-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Share your TESU to GaTech OMSCS experience Blckbuster 4 1,171 03-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does anyone know if Korea accepts degrees mentioned on this forum. Personherebb9 19 1,741 11-17-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  anyone got a SNHU bachelor in cs and did masters at a brick and mortar ibra999 8 1,680 09-02-2022, 04:54 AM
Last Post: Pikachu
  Snhu Vs Eastern University Online Masters saturn366 2 1,320 06-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  NWCU School of Law now Accredited by the State Bar of California (sister forum post) Dee12 6 2,133 02-17-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Kab
  IICSE University - cheap,convenient,not accredited. Any experience? xicovu 7 8,074 09-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  To forum moderators or/and owner indigoshuffle 8 2,018 06-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Walden U - MHA - Start date 12/3 Accountability and Experience GoodYellowDogs 21 3,914 06-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Last Post: SuZQ2