Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the US Naval Academy accept CLEP?
Does the US Naval Academy accept CLEP credits?
I assume they do but would like to hear it from someone with experience or with a link to a page on the USNA site.
I met a young man who is going to USNA when he graduates high school and I recommended that he consider CLEPing some courses in addition to taking AP classes. I want to make sure that US History I&II, for example, are CLEPable there.

Thanks.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
This may or may not answer the question directly.
It's my understanding from the USNA guy I know best that clep is not granted, but there is the term validation.
On the page listed you will see the IB and AP is automatically "validated", plus clep like testing you can do once accepted to the academy.

USNA Course Validation Policy :: Academics :: USNA
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
My gut said "no," but I checked. Here's the word from their web site

"Some midshipmen, on the basis of work done elsewhere, may qualify to validate or place out of one or more of these or other, more advanced, courses. Validation credit is awarded only after a test or interview on the subject matter administered at the Naval Academy. The Naval Academy does not transfer credits from other schools."

My thinking is that if they don't accept credit from other schools, they won't accept credit from CLEP.

An interesting thing about the Naval Academy is that they have a "junior college." I think it's only for midshipmen who want to get into the Academy.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I guess that means they won't take any of his AP classes then. That makes no sense.
My guess is that they're not the uniformed services for nothing. The schools probably want everyone to have similar backgrounds, and experiences. They want everyone taught THEIR way.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I believe the contrary is true.
On that page it says that AP and IB are automatically validated.
An example is the division of math and science, chem, where it says AP=5 or IB>6 then it validates chem 1.

All the other sections have similar values.

ryoder Wrote:I guess that means they won't take any of his AP classes then. That makes no sense.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
scorched Wrote:I believe the contrary is true.
On that page it says that AP and IB are automatically validated.
An example is the division of math and science, chem, where it says AP=5 or IB>6 then it validates chem 1.

All the other sections have similar values.

I read this too, and since I'm not that familiar with their wording, I hesitate to answer. But, I found no indication that they would accept CLEP credit, and since they are looking for an AP score of 5 (that's a perfect score folks) I'm firmly certain CLEP wouldn't be accepted.
Good point. I need to tell him this info. He should really talk to an enrollment advisor. Of course, can't he take AP tests without taking the course?
I told him to do US History I&II CLEP to start with but he could just study for those and do the AP test right?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,600 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Microsoft Software and Systems Academy Alpha 0 1,080 04-12-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,862 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Free CLEP Score Send Question TheMaskedMutant 4 2,296 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Principle of Marketing CLEP Lyle912 1 1,946 04-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Anyone do the Naval War College MA in Security Studies? johnw 0 2,290 01-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnw
  CLEP/DSST Exams jchef15 1 3,270 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Study resources for clep preppyboy 4 2,761 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Comex systems CLEP NYCMIA777 1 1,481 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,095 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3